Saw The Ls460...finally

to begin with, no matter how many times i pushed on the pedal, the car would not let me drive out of there :chairshot:

Well, i felt left out that everyone was talking about a car that i havent seen except for the in the pictures. i got to the car show, the first car i went into was the S class, which was okay, then to the LS460 for a comparison. straight off the bat, the LS is a very beautiful car. THey had one short wheelbase and two long wheelbases, all with minimal battery power (what a shame), but the S class was completely off. Anyways, i have to say the S class definately has more presence, no surprise there, but there is just so much more tech in the lexus.

Im not sure if i did not fully change the seat position, but at 6 feet, i felt like i was shrunken down in the drivers position, and could barely see the hood, if any. Also, i must say, i did not expect the short wheelbase model to be so small in the back, legroom wise. I definately have to go for the long wheelbase (which would barely fit in my garage). they did a great job on smoothing out the steering wheel, it was baby soft and the sound that the door makes made a proper clunk found on an s class. great car, loved it. however, as much as i love the interior, it also does not feel like an 61-80K car.

they also had an HL there, on a platform, with all its doors opened up with the Mark levinson doing its thing. I love the detail of the headlights, and also seen on the 460, there is a small light under the HID bulb that makes a line. love the detail. forgot my camera, too bad. thats it for now. now where to get the money.

see from other websites, i defended the LS when people said the interior is not up to par. That is until i saw it in person. I guess it just doesnt give that wow factor. In a way, it just reminds me of my own car, nothing too special, but still a great design. I went to the s class before, and even though its not the best interior in the word, its still weird and "special" in its own way. im not sure if i answered the question...its hard to say,

see from other websites, i defended the LS when people said the interior is not up to par. That is until i saw it in person. I guess it just doesnt give that wow factor. In a way, it just reminds me of my own car, nothing too special, but still a great design. I went to the s class before, and even though its not the best interior in the word, its still weird and "special" in its own way. im not sure if i answered the question...its hard to say,

What are you expeting for $71k? It is not the best nor the worst, but afte driving, yes really driving the LS, I find it to be quite worthy of the cost. There is more to the car that what you saw in the interior. I ahve owned BMW and Benz and they fail to impress me compared to the LS for the money.

trust me, im in love with the LS as much as the next guy on this forum. If i had the cash now, i would leave my RX in a second. Im just saying, as much as it is pretty, it just doesnt hold that presitigous interface look.

I guess each has their own opinion. I find the fit and finish of the interior to be on par or better than the 700 series BMW. My neighbor thinks so and he is comparing it to his new BMW. The LS is a sports vehicle and not a Rolls.

I literally have sat in EVERY comparable car to the LS460, the interior is as high quality, or higher, than anything else remotely within its pricerange.

I think what you're saying is theres nothing "unique" about the layout of the interior though. Thats precisely what draws most people to it.

lol, i really meant it doesnt have that wow factor.

as much as the I drive is annoying, its still "uniquely" special for BMW...does anybody understand what im trying to convey?

I know what you're saying, exactly. When you're in a MB, the smell, the firm plastics, the feel...is 100% MB, no mistaking. Same with BMW, you know you're in a BMW, no mistaking it. VW and Audi get a little blended, as they share parts. The LS, well, is Toyota at the dna of the machine..and they make a lot of Toyotas, in different price ranges and model line ups. I think what you're trying to say is that maybe there are compononents to the LS460 that might remind you of the Camry. Two totally different cars, in two totally different categories of market segment. I follow what you're saying. Honestly, I think Toyota has blended the design lines too much on the new model line ups, and I think it's going to hurt some model sales. I mean to the non-lexus nuts like us, why pay the extra bucks for a Lexus, when the Camry has somewhat similar lines in it's design? For me, it's hard to tell with an average glance what model I'm looking at anymore. Is it the ES, GS, Camry or LS? They're all slicked back now, in somewhat similar fashion. Before, you knew it was a GS, no mistaking. You knew it was the LS, no mistaking. You knew it was the ES, no mistaking. Now? It takes a second look, for dorks like me.

Well, after you sit in everyone of them, go back to the LS460 and push that start button and take a ride.

The best part is that each and every person has the choice. I have driven the 7 series, Jags and many more and this was for me. I have still no seen a vehicle have more dependability and trouble free life than Lexus. What good is a vehicle you have to get serviced all the time?

i know all the great stuff about the car and the detail put in. Im just saying it doesnt have any originality on the inside apart from other lexus vehicles.

i would also like to put in that in two years, i will be purchasing the LS over all the other german competitors, but im just pointing out a flaw

Thats just the thing, I don't think its a flaw. The interior definately has way more flair than Lexus interiors typically do, yet all the controls are laid out in a straightforward and elegant fashion. Thats something the LS has always been famous for, and buyers have always responded to that.

I don't even think its that, in fact I think its a stregnth.

Another thing you have to think about is how modern the S class and 7 series will look 5-10 years down the road. This iDrive thing is a fad and people don't like it. My concern will be that the overall styling of the interiors of the S and the 7 are going to look like "modern" houses look after 10 years. Nothing ages more quickly than "modern".

There's a reason 1998 LS400s are JUST NOW starting to look dated. Look at my ES vs a 2003 Acura TL. Which still looks fresh and current inside and out?

Even the current E class is starting to look dated.

Alright, perhaps to some people its a strong point, but IMO i dont think its special enough. Its a little too plain.

Then buy something else, you're obviously not the target buyer. The whole point of the design is that it has a straightforward look and design interface that people are used to, offering an alternative to less typical layouts like the S class and the 7. If that look is important to you, then the S or 7 is your car.

As for the 98-00 LS, it still looks very fresh and modern for its age. Drive one down the street and ask people what year they think it is.

i think ive mentioned that this car will likely be my next car if nothing changes. im just saying that its too plain, but other parts of the car make up for it. One little flaw (IMO) does not change the way i look at the car. It still a great car. Its just not perfect

i dont want to sound like i hate the car, im just pointing on that dash is nice, but not really that special. Like Mercs, all their models have different looks, and so far, their flagship is the only car with the new Command controller. However, ALL lexus cars have those same buttons on the dash and perhaps some people like the simiplicity, but im just saying i could go for something more interesting.

Very interesting discussion here.

Hi everybody. I'm just sneaking a peek over the wall from the SC300/400 forum to see what people are saying about the new LS460. I'm really look forward to experiencing it in person at the Detroit Auto Show in January. I was enthralled enough by the features, comfort and all-out luxury of the 430 a year back. But this generation LS appears to be a fitting upgrade from it's predecessor.

I really have nothing to contribute regarding any tactile qualities of the interior, given that I havn't been inside the car yet. On exterior styling though, I must voice my critique. It is definately the most stylized LS to date. Though that merit just won't quite stand on it's own.

Were there no such cars as the '06 Toyota Camry or '06 Avalon, I'd say HOORAH FOR LEXUS. Unfortunately though, the styling cues introduced by the two afore mentioned lesser class autos have already seen the light of day and thus been made mental note of by all who even bother to pay attention to such things as "design cues". And for this very reason, the LS460's exterior suffers. It suffers the same way many of you lovely women out there do when some other lady shows up at a party wearing the same dress you so painstakenly hand-picked - thinking you would be the ONLY one there with it. :whistles:

And for that I must give a thumbs down on exterior styling. I simply don't want to drive a $70k car that takes STRONG design cues from it's little siblings. To be quite honest, I wish Toyota would stop sharing and reusing design cues between models alltogether. Case in point - when the SC430 debuted, it was so unique, so refreshing, so one-of-a-kind... And then Toyota comes along and dresses down the rear of the late model Solara with some of the same architecture and near-replica tail lenses. Even though, in this instance, it was little brother imitating big brother, it still deminished the uniqueness once held entirely by the SC430. I'm just glad that no one, including Lexus or Toyota, has ever ripped off, parted out, or otherwise diluted the absolutely timeless design of the 1st generation SC by sharing it with another model. I'm so glad to have one to call my own.

I find myself thoroughly disappointed with what i've seen in promotional images of the 460. Hopefully though, it's physical presence (when I see it in person at the auto show) will speak something to me that the miriad of Avalon...... sorry, Camry...... sorry, LS460 press release photos don't.

lol supercoupe, i pretty much agree with what your saying. In toyota's defense, they officially kinda split from lexus (not completely) but they actually have different designers. No longer will a lexus be rebadged as a toyota in other countries. they have serparated enough so that even though they may share design cues, they are different enough to be noticed. you are right about the camry...looks so close to the LS its incredible.