Loud Wind Noise And Sunroof Chatering!

Has anybody had any issues with a their sunroof chattering and a loud whistling sound coming from the side mirrors on an LS460L? I just had to take my LS460L with only 373 miles to the dealer because of these issues. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Has anybody had any issues with a their sunroof chattering and a loud whistling sound coming from the side mirrors on an LS460L? I just had to take my LS460L with only 373 miles to the dealer because of these issues. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sunroof chattering?

I do not have the L but my LS is very quiet with no wind noise and for sure my sunroof does not chatter

The only noise I get is "some" road noise with particular road surfaces. On good pavement, the LS is as quite as I have ever enjoyed in a car of this type.

• 6 months later...

I too am experiencing chatter from my sunroof. I am curious to know how you resolved your issue.

Thanks

I too am experiencing chatter from my sunroof. I am curious to know how you resolved your issue.

Thanks

You are not the only one!

Check following forum you will have a much better idea of whats going on with the LS 460 wind noise :

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178

look at "wind noise update"

Hope this will help.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just had my front two windows replaced by Lexus service and no appreciable change is noted.

richard

I have had the wind noise repair completed by the dealer with absolutely no improvement in this annoyance.

I have just had my front two windows replaced by Lexus service and no appreciable change is noted.

richard

I have had the wind noise repair completed by the dealer with absolutely no improvement in this annoyance.

After my front windows were replaced the wind noise from the top of the window was much reduced. Road noise from the passenger side was reduced but road noise from the drivers side is still noticeable. The rear seats are dead quiet and I noticed that the rear door appears to be much thicker than the front. There is an old TSB on front door insulation. I am going to try and get some more door insulation from the local rep. Can't seem to identify a bad seal.

I wonder if this is going to turn into a class action or something

Had chatter from a moonroof on an older ls. Cure was lithium white grease on the rubber bushings all around the moonroof

It's amazing how many people cry and complain about wind noise this and that. "It's not acceptable". "It's time for a class action lawsuit"? Why would you go buy a new LS460, and then start complaining about issues such as wind noise, road noise, etc,. Did you not TEST DRIVE the car before you bought it? I can understand a rattle or dead battery,broken door handle, etc, causing a problem after you bought the car, then complain all you want. The wind noise was always there, before you bought the car, before it got delivered to the dealership. So why cry and complain that Lexus needs to do something about it? It's the way the car is. All cars create some type of air turbulence noise that can be heard from inside the car. If you don't like it why did you buy it? If you bought the car without even test driving it, then I'd have to say that you're foolish.

It's amazing how many people cry and complain about wind noise this and that. "It's not acceptable". "It's time for a class action lawsuit"? Why would you go buy a new LS460, and then start complaining about issues such as wind noise, road noise, etc,. Did you not TEST DRIVE the car before you bought it? I can understand a rattle or dead battery,broken door handle, etc, causing a problem after you bought the car, then complain all you want. The wind noise was always there, before you bought the car, before it got delivered to the dealership. So why cry and complain that Lexus needs to do something about it? It's the way the car is. All cars create some type of air turbulence noise that can be heard from inside the car. If you don't like it why did you buy it? If you bought the car without even test driving it, then I'd have to say that you're foolish.

Yes, you are probably right - but the fact still remains that it is a problem that should have been resolved by Lexus.

I just got finished a phone discussion with the Service Manager of Newport Lexus and was told that there is NO fix for the wind noise problem for the LS460. The service manager stated that they had a meeting with the Lexus district manager yesterday and he officially advised that Lexus has tried a number of fixes for the wind noise issue and none of them was successful - and that included replacing the windows and molding.

After expressing my dissatisfaction the response by Lexus, I was told to take the matter up with Lexus corporate.

Has anyone been told something different??? Any thoughts on how to proceed?

If anyone is foolish, it is apparently you based on your post. To compare a test drive with actual ownership is totally unrealistic. The vast majority of people are too excited and overwhelmed to critique a car on a few mile test drive. Most people are deciding if they actually want the car or are comparing it to another vehicle, not looking for manufacturing or engineering defects. There is a level of quality expectation that comes with a premium brand such as Lexus, BMW, MB, and Audi...especially for their flagship cars. These cars should not have issues such as excessive wind noise. My point is that the burden is on Lexus, not their customers to handle these problems. It is not the fault of the consumer in any way. If there is a common problem that a large number of owners are experiencing, it is not acceptable and should be addressed accordingly. If Lexus can't fix it, they have an obligation to make it right in some way.

If the wind noise is so excessive, then how could anyone not hear it on a test drive? The window is right next to your ear. Sounds like buyers' remorse and internet hysteria, tricking people into thinking there is a problem. I don't understand why someone would test drive a car without observing all characteristcs of the car. How quiet it is, engine/powertrain noise, stereo quality, etc,. I don't think the burden is on Lexus. They designed a car for YEARS, test drove it for over 100,000 miles and were happy with the level of "wind noise" is exhibited. The burden is on the customer for not paying attention to the cars characteristics before spending over $70,000, and now they want something fixed that isn't a problem in my mind. I would totally understand if the problem presented itself AFTER the vehicle was bought. This "wind noise" was ALWAYS there.

If the wind noise is so excessive, then how could anyone not hear it on a test drive? The window is right next to your ear. Sounds like buyers' remorse and internet hysteria, tricking people into thinking there is a problem. I don't understand why someone would test drive a car without observing all characteristcs of the car. How quiet it is, engine/powertrain noise, stereo quality, etc,. I don't think the burden is on Lexus. They designed a car for YEARS, test drove it for over 100,000 miles and were happy with the level of "wind noise" is exhibited. The burden is on the customer for not paying attention to the cars characteristics before spending over $70,000, and now they want something fixed that isn't a problem in my mind. I would totally understand if the problem presented itself AFTER the vehicle was bought. This "wind noise" was ALWAYS there.

I'm sorry but jkrutch is right and you are wrong.

Here is why: I did test drove my car like much of the owners and everything was OK. The noise came for my car around the 1,000 miles. I see that you have a Ls400, and they were very well built. If Lexus were doing test drive of their new cars for over 100,000 miles before putting them on the market, as you think, then they should be noise free...maybe this was the case when they started with the Ls400. Problems can show up later on, when driving the car on a daily basis, this is the case.

:cheers:

I'm sorry but jkrutch is right and you are wrong.

Here is why: I did test drove my car like much of the owners and everything was OK. The noise came for my car around the 1,000 miles. I see that you have a Ls400, and they were very well built. If Lexus were doing test drive of their new cars for over 100,000 miles before putting them on the market, as you think, then they should be noise free...maybe this was the case when they started with the Ls400. Problems can show up later on, when driving the car on a daily basis, this is the case.

:cheers:

There is a solution for the wind noise in the drivers window it it caused by the height of the window. By that I mean if by SLIGHTLY lowering the window the noise is reduced, that is fixable and Lexus now knows it. The people at the toll free number are not the ones to talk with. Have the service advisor have the district rep contact them with a field engineer and come to your dealer and they can and will solve the problem. I had a wind noise problem beyond normal air flow that was not noticeable before I bought the car because the dealer is in town wihere outside noise from traffic as well as limiting speed below 45 did not reveal the noise. The solution is for them to tighten the belt molding that straddles the window channel at the bottom of the window opening. If anyone gives you BS about that not being available call Lexus of Tucson @ the automall and talk with the service manager Ann.

• Like 1

There is a solution for the wind noise in the drivers window it it caused by the height of the window. By that I mean if by SLIGHTLY lowering the window the noise is reduced, that is fixable and Lexus now knows it. The people at the toll free number are not the ones to talk with. Have the service advisor have the district rep contact them with a field engineer and come to your dealer and they can and will solve the problem. I had a wind noise problem beyond normal air flow that was not noticeable before I bought the car because the dealer is in town wihere outside noise from traffic as well as limiting speed below 45 did not reveal the noise. The solution is for them to tighten the belt molding that straddles the window channel at the bottom of the window opening. If anyone gives you BS about that not being available call Lexus of Tucson @ the automall and talk with the service manager Ann.

I met with my service advisor on Friday to discuss a ccouple of the issues with my 4 wek old LS460 with 1400 miles. I asked him what he thought of the LS460 and if there was anything that I as a new owner should be on the look out for and his response was "wind-noise".

• 2 months later...

I agree with the person that said that we need a class action law suit.

I am ready to start one.

My LS460m also developed wind noise. THe showroom cars that you test drive DO NOT have the noise, so you don't hear it until a few hundred miles after you receive your car.

I am taking mine in today to get the fixes today. If it dosen't do the job, I am contacting a class action attorney that I know in Chicago to start the suit!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks

I have the same sunroof issue. Have had the RX350 for 6 months and taken it in 3 times already. Heading back tomorrow. It actually seems to get worse each time I take it in. If anyone has had this issue solved please let me know how! THanks

• 7 years later...

I also have an LS460 that has wind noise. My LS430 was a dream car. You wouldn't expect to pay that kind of money for a car and have that kind of problem. Lexus had to know about it before they put the car on the market. If the man who said he was going to start a class action law suite goes forward, I want to let him know that I'm in. David Baker, drexbaker@gmail.com