Waxing My New Ls460

I have always used Meguires Gold to wax my LX470 but have traded and am driving a new LS460. My dealer told me that the new paints required very little care and waxing is not required. My car stays garaged 90% of the time but I still feel some protection is required.

If not waxed is there a spary on protectorant I could use after hand washing?

Also the albaster interior shows everything. The door panels where the door handle is in the interior shows dirt no mater how many times I wash my hand! <vbg> Is this vinyl or leather. If vinyl, what do I use to keep this new?

The dealer is wrong. There is basically no difference in the paint on your old LX and the paint on your LS. It still needs to be cared for and protected.

The panels where the handle is are made of leather. I'd clean these with a 6:1 solution of woolite:water.

The dealer is wrong. There is basically no difference in the paint on your old LX and the paint on your LS. It still needs to be cared for and protected.

The panels where the handle is are made of leather. I'd clean these with a 6:1 solution of woolite:water.

I thought so. I think the paint on the LS is nicer than it was on my LX, smoother but would still need the same occasional waxing. I actually enjoy it.

Thanks for the heads up on the leather at the interior door handles.

I have used Lexol for the seats in my LX, do you have any preference. I hate it but some blue from my blue jeans has already migrated to the edge of my driver seat, just like my LX. The Alabaster looks great but is going to demand special care.

Your comments are appreciated

Clear Coat:

To statement that “a sealant has no benefit to the paint ‘because’ there is a clear coat, is baffling, as clear coat is a polyethylene paint but without colour pigmentation, its applied to provide the colour coat (base coat) with shine, if a clear coat did not need a protection applied, there would be no such thing as clear coat failure due to oxidation or any of a myriad of clear coat problems. To provide further improvements in appearance and durability the basecoat / clear coat systems were developed and introduced in the late 70’s. The base coat is comprised primarily of pigments held in place by a polymeric resin film (binder).

The clear coat is solvent based urethane (a water-based clear coat is not yet available) and is applied in two layers; it also contains UV inhibitors Clear coat is not armour plating but by adding UV blockers it provides a level of protection for the colour pigmentation of the base (colour) coat, but it must be protected, and the most durable protection is a polymer sealant.

Knowledge; [ability to correctly diagnosis problems] [then utilizing appropriate methodologies and products]

Clear Coat:

To statement that “a sealant has no benefit to the paint ‘because’ there is a clear coat, is baffling, as clear coat is a polyethylene paint but without colour pigmentation, its applied to provide the colour coat (base coat) with shine, if a clear coat did not need a protection applied, there would be no such thing as clear coat failure due to oxidation or any of a myriad of clear coat problems. To provide further improvements in appearance and durability the basecoat / clear coat systems were developed and introduced in the late 70’s. The base coat is comprised primarily of pigments held in place by a polymeric resin film (binder).

The clear coat is solvent based urethane (a water-based clear coat is not yet available) and is applied in two layers; it also contains UV inhibitors Clear coat is not armour plating but by adding UV blockers it provides a level of protection for the colour pigmentation of the base (colour) coat, but it must be protected, and the most durable protection is a polymer sealant.

Knowledge; [ability to correctly diagnosis problems] [then utilizing appropriate methodologies and products]

I waxed the entire vehicle yesterday, the finish feels better but I can not say it looks better. Outside the garage, I see a few swirls that the micro fiber towel failed to remove. It is gone now. Even though it does not look better, I feel better and knew the saleperson did not know of what he was saying. I only keep my vehicles 2 to 3 years and Lexus only gives me a fixed amount for trade in. Waxing is for me as much as the car.

I thought so. I think the paint on the LS is nicer than it was on my LX, smoother but would still need the same occasional waxing. I actually enjoy it.

It is nicer, but thats because of the longer hand buffing process they use on the LS. The paint itself is the same paint.

I have used Lexol for the seats in my LX, do you have any preference. I hate it but some blue from my blue jeans has already migrated to the edge of my driver seat, just like my LX. The Alabaster looks great but is going to demand special care.

This is why I have black interiors LOL.

I use a solution of Water:Woolite 6:1 to clean seats. Lexol is good too, but I've found this is more gentle and it has a little more cleaning ability. I do use Lexol to condition the leather.

I waxed the entire vehicle yesterday, the finish feels better but I can not say it looks better. Outside the garage, I see a few swirls that the micro fiber towel failed to remove. It is gone now. Even though it does not look better, I feel better and knew the saleperson did not know of what he was saying. I only keep my vehicles 2 to 3 years and Lexus only gives me a fixed amount for trade in. Waxing is for me as much as the car.

Simply waxing isn't going to improve the appearance of paint in good condition like yours. The car was already waxed by the dealer before delivery. Now, if you had clayed, polished, AND sealed it you might have seen a difference, but still maybe not.

The swirls you're seeing are from the dealer when they prepped it. Thats why I always specify no prep when I buy a car and never let the dealer wash it when its in for service. Using good MF towels will help avoid future swirls, but it won't REMOVE swirls that are already there. The only way to remove swirls is with an abrasive polish.

It is nicer, but thats because of the longer hand buffing process they use on the LS. The paint itself is the same paint.

This is why I have black interiors LOL.

I use a solution of Water:Woolite 6:1 to clean seats. Lexol is good too, but I've found this is more gentle and it has a little more cleaning ability. I do use Lexol to condition the leather.

Simply waxing isn't going to improve the appearance of paint in good condition like yours. The car was already waxed by the dealer before delivery. Now, if you had clayed, polished, AND sealed it you might have seen a difference, but still maybe not.

The swirls you're seeing are from the dealer when they prepped it. Thats why I always specify no prep when I buy a car and never let the dealer wash it when its in for service. Using good MF towels will help avoid future swirls, but it won't REMOVE swirls that are already there. The only way to remove swirls is with an abrasive polish.

"The Swirls" in this case, turned out to be unremoved wax. I noticed that the very first panel that I waxed and buffed made the swirls go away so I am sure it was just their failure to remove what they applied.

I have clayed my LX a few times and it does make it look really nice. I do not feel that this unit is ready or in need of clay yet.

I am having some of the best window tinting installed that is known to man as Lexus does not believe in much tint at all and I feel like I am driving in a fish bowl!

I was going to suggest that too, I often find after a wax job that I see things that look like micromarring that just happen to be smearing. Glad thats all it was!

I would however clay the car. Clay is designed to remove imbedded contaminants from the paint. When a car is being shipped via rail, boat, and truck sometimes ferrous contaminants can bond with the paint surface. Over time these contaminants will rust, leaving small rust spots. A clay is the first thing I do when I get a new car.

man a lot of stuff goes into caring for the cars. im am ashamed to admit i go through the usual Maguiars car washing solution (i dont even know what its called) to wash my car and dry it with microfiber towels. and if i feel bored enough, i will wax the "hood" with my maguiars gold wax. I think my car has been full waxed twice including the dealer prep, and clayed once in my posession.

and i know this is car suicide, but i admit i go through automated car washes sometimes to get the dust off (sometimes with those harsh brushes thrown at the car) but sometimes with the presurrized touchless machine washes. o well, the paint on my Rx is holding up pretty well, unlike my IS

so dont do anything i have pointed out in my post and you should be fine :)

oh and ps. perhaps its time to move to khakis!

man a lot of stuff goes into caring for the cars. im am ashamed to admit i go through the usual Maguiars car washing solution (i dont even know what its called) to wash my car and dry it with microfiber towels. and if i feel bored enough, i will wax the "hood" with my maguiars gold wax. I think my car has been full waxed twice including the dealer prep, and clayed once in my posession.

and i know this is car suicide, but i admit i go through automated car washes sometimes to get the dust off (sometimes with those harsh brushes thrown at the car) but sometimes with the presurrized touchless machine washes. o well, the paint on my Rx is holding up pretty well, unlike my IS

so dont do anything i have pointed out in my post and you should be fine :)

oh and ps. perhaps its time to move to khakis!

Been wearing jeans all my life and hate khakis! The Lexol cleaner conditioner and woolite removed 95% of it but it will return.

Everyone is different and you got to remember that my LS460 is new. Ask me a year from now what I am doing. I do usually hand wash my LS and the better halfs Q on the weekend. I enjoy waxing but like to see some results or reward. I will wait a while before I use any clay to make sure I see results. The LS has one slick finish on it.

The dark grey metalic window tint really changed the look of the car. Now if I can remember not to roll down the windows!

You're never going to see the results from clay. Thats the thing about detailing, you won't see results from any one step. You see results by the process. If you took the time now and clayed it, worked in a nice hand polish like P21S GEPC or Clearkote Vanilla Moose and hit it with a really good wax like P21S or Pinnacle Souveran, you'll see a difference. Just waxing, just claying, or just polishing isn't going to give you anything though.

You're never going to see the results from clay. Thats the thing about detailing, you won't see results from any one step. You see results by the process. If you took the time now and clayed it, worked in a nice hand polish like P21S GEPC or Clearkote Vanilla Moose and hit it with a really good wax like P21S or Pinnacle Souveran, you'll see a difference. Just waxing, just claying, or just polishing isn't going to give you anything though.

Well then it looks like I am doomed. While I love the car, I will own it for two years and trade it in. In two years with no care what so ever except careful washing, I would expect it to look mighty nice.

I am unable to do this and will put my occasional wax and clay into the vehicle but mainly to make me feel better. I guess this section of the Lexus Forum is not for me as I am not going to ever do as you suggest in the above.

In what time is left over I would rather be 80 miles offshore in my 33' Grady! At least someone else waxes it for me, I just get to fish and relax!

In what time is left over I would rather be 80 miles offshore in my 33' Grady! At least someone else waxes it for me, I just get to fish and relax!

That's a good point, but then again taking car of cars is a hobby for some. :)