Timing Belt

mzhang86

Thanks, does anyone else have any experience with the cost of replacing the timing belt? That 600-850, does it cover labor? When I got this car, it had 120k miles on it, what is the best way to check if the original owner has replaced it or not? This might be a dumb question but do I really need to change the water pump along with the timing belt?

well try dealership, give em ur vin and if they are nice they will give u all records. if not, change it. yeah those 800$ include labor, oroginal timing belt is around 50$ water pump you can find for 150$ timing belt pulleys are 60 and 95$ and tenssioner for timing belt is another 30-40$

IIRC, the water pump is usually replaced because the time is usually right and the engine already apart. You don't want to pay the dealer to do it again. ;)

I've heard mixed things about when to change the timing belt. Some think you can easily go 120k+. Anyone got any input on this? The good news at least for my 97 LS is that it has a non-interference engine so that if it breaks, all that will happen is my car will stop of course, and I'll have to get it towed to fix. But no damage to the rest of the engine. :o

yeah that non intefercence part is ok. usually you haev to do it if you hear a whining noise from the engine at 800-1000 rpms. it means ur bearings on water pump and pulleys are worn and u need to change em. as to the timing belt condition you can remove the right timing belt cover whihc covers spark plugs and distributor cap as well to check the timing belt

• 3 weeks later...

it seems to cheap to me.

even with the usual 20% discount if you have tax id and an account with lexus

only the parts would be 160$ for pulleys, 180$ for water pump, 50$ for tensioner and 50-70$ for the belt itself. this comes to 440-460$. which leaves only 200$ for labor. and the labor takes almost a day. seems to cheap. but may be mechanic is your friend:)