The Front License Plate...

My plates just came in a few days ago. Here's the thing, I don't want to put on the front plate. I don't want to bring my car in to have the dealer install the front plate. Have you been driving without one? Is it legal? Do you get in trouble if you don't have it? By the way, I went to lunch today and counted the cars at the parking lot. About 27% of the cars don't have the front plate (that's 3 out of 11).

Thanks all!

My plates just came in a few days ago. Here's the thing, I don't want to put on the front plate. I don't want to bring my car in to have the dealer install the front plate. Have you been driving without one? Is it legal? Do you get in trouble if you don't have it? By the way, I went to lunch today and counted the cars at the parking lot. About 27% of the cars don't have the front plate (that's 3 out of 11).

Thanks all!

that would be a function of the individual state law.

In NY and Colorado we need both plates. In FL (former home) you only got one plate for the rear. check with your DMV

Its up to you whether you want to risk getting tickets for no front plate. I did it for a while but eventually had the plate put on. My thought was leaving it off was just giving a cop a reason to stop me if he wanted to, and you definately would get the ticket added onto any other ticket you were getting.

I'd have it installed and get a nice plate frame for it.

Its up to you whether you want to risk getting tickets for no front plate. I did it for a while but eventually had the plate put on. My thought was leaving it off was just giving a cop a reason to stop me if he wanted to, and you definately would get the ticket added onto any other ticket you were getting.

I'd have it installed and get a nice plate frame for it.

Great ideas and advices! Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all!

In mass... The rule of thumb is... If you dont use your front plate... you better have a Red Sox or Pats plate on... or your get a ticket..

Yes... I'm serious... :censored:

Yes it's totally illegal in California, but it depends on what part of California. Here in Fresno (central valley) I'd say there are about 80% of cars W/O front plates. Even old cars that used to have front plates, take them off. Front tint is also illegal, but cops here don't mind. Seems like the Fresno cops are easing up if your only violation is the plates and/or front tint..... But if caught for speeding, you'll be needing a loan officer to pay off that big fine (exaggerated, but i presume it must be a lot). Plus if u have front tint, add that to the loan. lol. ;)

Yes it's totally illegal in California, but it depends on what part of California. Here in Fresno (central valley) I'd say there are about 80% of cars W/O front plates. Even old cars that used to have front plates, take them off. Front tint is also illegal, but cops here don't mind. Seems like the Fresno cops are easing up if your only violation is the plates and/or front tint..... But if caught for speeding, you'll be needing a loan officer to pay off that big fine (exaggerated, but i presume it must be a lot). Plus if u have front tint, add that to the loan. lol. ;)

When I was out in Cali this summer... I was shocked by all the cars driving around with Temp Paper Tags... I mean they are everywhere... and some cars you can tell have been driven for months...

So after the Dodgers game waiting for family... I started up a conversation with a few LAPDs officers.. (Hands in the air of course so they wouldn't beat me) :P anyway.. standing out near the parking lot I was asking about all the cars without tags.. they acted like it wasn't a big deal.. something about the DVM is weeks and weeks behind in new tags... I was sort of taken back by the response... If I was a cop.. I would want to make sure I had every bit of info I could on a car when I stopped them before I approached it...

some people on my street moved in like 9-12 months ago. i remember seeing a 745i and an LX in their driveways. at the time they both had dealer tags and still do to this day. only thing is both the 7 & LX have both had facelifts since their model years so u know the car isnt brand new and also the tags seem to be aging now.

We just go down to the court house, pay the money, and get a tag transfer or a new tag right then and there.

One day there won't be plates, Cars will be chipped and law enforcement will scan your car and retreive the info digitally. Even from a distance.

We just go down to the court house, pay the money, and get a tag transfer or a new tag right then and there.

One day there won't be plates, Cars will be chipped and law enforcement will scan your car and retreive the info digitally. Even from a distance.

Oh great. I've had two instances over the last few years where I had renewed plates, but the info wasn't showing yet in the computers. Had cops tell me that I had expired plates. Forutunately I had my registration receipts in the car. I hope they would keep the chips updated in a more timely fashion.

I don't have my front plates on my car. I just ordered a personalized plate, which will take 2 to 3 months, I'm told. And, yes, in CA, it is illegal to not have your front plates.

When I had my BMW and was pulled over 2 years ago, I had a BMW emblem plate on the front, and the cop didn't cite me for it.

Now, our two other cars, I have to admit, do not have their plates on, but we do have them. My husband has this thing about putting plates on cars, especially if you're driving through those infamous areas with cameras at the intersections. I put mine on only because I drive so much, I didn't want to get hassled.

Thanks all!

I live in Maryland where front plates are required. Our surrounding areas that includes D.C. and Virginia also require front plates. In this area they do ticket. I have actually seen the police write tickets for missing front plates while checking inspection stickers and writing parking violations.

I purchased a plastic mounting bracket from Pep Boys and cable tied it to the lower grill and then mounted the front plate. I think it looks better and kept me from punching holes in the painted bumper.

Also, I think almost all states make it illegal to cover either the front or rear plates.. It doesn't matter if they are clear. I'm taking a chance since I have a clear cover on the front to help against rock chips.

The dealer had me sign a waiver here in CA when I bought my car saying that I did not want the front plate mounted and that I understood it was the law to have one displayed. They forgot and mounted it anyway. I spent 2 months looking for a frame and plate I liked. I went with a carbon fiber plate with a carbon fiber frame which looks good against breakwater blue. But every time I looked at the vehicle I hated the fact that it had a front plate, frame and mounting braket.

-

Someone backed into my car last week and I'm having the front bumper replaced. I left explicit instructions not to mount the plate on the front. It just looks much better, much cleaner. A plate and frame does not flow with the front of the car. It looks like what it is, an afterthought/legal requirement. The only good thing that has come out of my accident.