Scheduled Care: Comments?

Fellow Lexus Car Care Enthusiasts,

Read thru most of the FAQ, threads, etc, and I'd appreciate a general comment as to 'recommended' exterior and interior scheduled care for 'normal' wear and tear. That is, how often should I performing the various maintenance tasks....

For the exterior, how often to wax (Pinacle Wax), how often to do all-in-one for a new (2006 IS 250) car (I'm using Klasse AIO & High Gloss Sealant Glaze for now, and am happy with it..), how often to strip, polish, glaze, seal and re-wax, etc. Currently, I'm washing at least every two weeks, and waxing every month.

For the interior, I'm using Optimum car care (thanks for the suggestion, Steve!) and Lexol for the leather, 303 for the rubber all weather mats.

Right now, I'm doing everything by hand, but will likely 'graduate' to a Porter Cable 7424.

Any and all comments much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Really and truly, it depends on how fanatical you are about the condition of the paint, how careful you are when washing, and your climate and the products you're using.

I personally believe in weekly washes. I think the single best thing you can do to ensure that the car is in the best visible physical shape it can be 5-10 years out is to have washed it once a week. Why? The main reason is there are very few contaminants that will bond or become embedded in the paint in only a week. So, I've only had to clay my car once in the 3 years I've had it.

Since I've perfected washing techniques to minimize swirls, I also only have to polish the car out once a year, in the spring. Here's my schedule.

1. Wash weekly whenever possible

2. Strip, polish out, and seal once a year

3. Refresh the wax every 3 months (I also use a wax booster after every wash), Klasse lasts longer than what I use too.

4. Use a light polish once a year.

So it looks like this

April:

-Strip, polish out, and seal/clean and condition leather

June:

-Seal

Oct/Nov:

-Light polish, seal, clean & condition leather

Jan/Feb

-Seal

Thats my year, with weekly washes in between.

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestions; I'm in Alexandria, so you know the weather conditions!

Also, on the IS, as I mentioned in September, the rear wheel wells have that 'felt-like' liner, and man, does it pick up the fall leaf debris! I've been using a pressure washer every week just to clean out the leafy debris.

Also, can you PM with your recommended detailer info? I never heard back from you in Sept.

Thanks.

Mike

• 1 month later...
ONR will cause marring on your paint surface.

This has to be your worst un-educated post yet! I know people that detail cars from $5,000 to over $150,000 and work great. Is this again your opinion?. If fact, please provide documetation since I have got to see this. No links to more people stuff ,yours. I guy on Autopia said the said that and took bullets from all sides.............

This is totally untrue. I've been detailing cars for almost 15 years both as a hobbyist and as a professional. I've washed thousands of cars using all kinds of soap and wash systems. If you wash properly, ONR or QEW will not mar the paint any more than bucket washing will. You've just got to use high quality towels, know when the car is too dirty and needs to be pre-rinsed, and keep rinsing your washing media.

I use ONR/QEW exclusively in the winter, late fall, and early spring and am extremely anal about my finish. No marring.

• 1 month later...

- I like the weekly wash it ONR. Easy 15 to 20 mintues

- I clay, polish and seal (Acrylic) every 3 months using JW. No nuba here :D

- Also use OC every year

What is JW and OC?

Also, I have used swirl removers, and even fine cut cleaners, but do the clay bars get a little deeper in terms of removing oxidized paint?

Opinion = Not necessarily fact or fiction but usually highly subjective

Factual information niether opinion nor theory - Optimum No Rinse (ONR) a waterless wash; formulated with surfactants to keep dirt in suspension, avoiding surface contact, it also provides surface lubrication thereby avoiding surface marring.

What is JW and OC?

Also, I have used swirl removers, and even fine cut cleaners, but do the clay bars get a little deeper in terms of removing oxidized paint?

JW is Jeff Werkstatt - best I have found to date.

OC is Optimum Compound--love it, no dust and long work time