Legal Notice For Toyota And Lexus Customers

grand lexus

I posted a note here some time ago about oil consumption on my Lexus ES 300. I just received a notice of a class action lawsuit against Toyota/Lexus due to "oil gel sludge" (just as some of you on this forum suggested might be the problem).

I am not sure if I should take the car in to my local Toyota/Lexus dealer or go to an independent. Hate to sound like I don't trust Toyota, but it seems to me it would be easy for them to tell me that my car does not have the sludge problem. Am I worrying too much? Or should I go to an independent repair shop that I know and trust?

I received my oil gel class-action notice from Lexus in yesterday's mail.

Had my wife's RX300 inspected at no charge by our Lexus dealership a year or so ago for the oil gel issue. They found no signs of the problem at that time. I tend to trust them because they've already had to perform over $9,000 worth of warranty repairs to this vehicle and they realize they will not be able to conceal an oil gel issue from me, nor would it be a smart move on their part because I would initiate legal action if they did. It would be far less expensive to fix an oil gel issue for me than for them to have to face a lawsuit for deceptive business practices....

OK. I just took my Lexus into the local Toyota dealer (the nearest Lexus dealer is about 300 miles from here). The mechanic took off the oil filler cap, swiped his finger inside and said: yep, you've got sludge.

He also said I would need all my oil change records, which I don't have. Am I out of luck or should I make the 300 mile (600 round trip) journey to my 'local' Lexus dealer?