Do You Wash Your Is Yourself Or You Bring It To A Car Wash?

Would you rather wash your IS yourself or bring it to the car wash? Have you ever had any bad experience where they damage your car at the car wash and if so, what did you do about it? I am thinking of taking my IS to a car wash but I am afraid that they would inadvertently damage it and I would not be able to do anything about it? Am I insane? Or is there anyone out there that can understand my fear? :)

Would you rather wash your IS yourself or bring it to the car wash? Have you ever had any bad experience where they damage your car at the car wash and if so, what did you do about it? I am thinking of taking my IS to a car wash but I am afraid that they would inadvertently damage it and I would not be able to do anything about it? Am I insane? Or is there anyone out there that can understand my fear? :)

Well now, I'm glad at least SOMEONE else is like me ;)

I drive a Subaru, my wife has the IS. NEITHER car will EVER see a car wash. They are hand washed and dried. Just can't trust what they do to your car. What if the guy in front of you had a greasy ended diesel or something...those dirty oily brushes getting all over your car...no way....hand washed and dried. And they both sleep in the garage, btw...

If you can avoid it, don't take your car to an automatic carwash. If you don't have the time to do it yourself, the far better option is to pay a competent professional detailer to wash it for you.

The reason is just what the poster above said. Carwashes are dirty, the towels the guys use to dry are dirty and have been dropped on the ground, the carwash has metal tire rails and stiff brushes that damage the tires, the harsh soaps strip away wax and dry out the plastic components of the car. Its just a bad idea.

I've used nothing but touchless car wash for several years now. No brushes, I drive it in and out, no problems. Of course, I'll do my own waxing, wheel cleaning etc.

I thought brush type car washes were a thing of the past.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm doing with my IS right now. Touchless car wash. Thanks all for your advice and suggestions. :)

I've used nothing but touchless car wash for several years now. No brushes, I drive it in and out, no problems. Of course, I'll do my own waxing, wheel cleaning etc.

I thought brush type car washes were a thing of the past.

Brush type car washes are, but there are plenty of cloth carwashes still around.

Touchless washes are okay occasionally but they use VERY harsh detergents that will strip wax and dry out trim.

My dealer said they would wash my car whenever i wanted for free. Perhaps yours is the same?

I wouldn't take them up on this. Most dealers idea of a "detailer" is a kid with a big stiff brush and a bucket. I never let the dealer wash mine.

I wouldn't take them up on this. Most dealers idea of a "detailer" is a kid with a big stiff brush and a bucket. I never let the dealer wash mine.

Exactly! Almost told them to not bother when they said they were "getting my wifes IS ready for delivery". That entailed a kid with a dirty rag "cleaning" the inside windows and washing the exterior. Was too late to stop them. Oh well.

Now, if you do wax it yourself, what do you use?

Exactly! Almost told them to not bother when they said they were "getting my wifes IS ready for delivery". That entailed a kid with a dirty rag "cleaning" the inside windows and washing the exterior. Was too late to stop them. Oh well.

Wouldn't dream of taking mine anywhere but the 'spray it yourself' carwash. I've waxed mine only once, and used "Black Magic Wet Shine" liquid wax, sponge-cloth applicator, and microfiber towels. They're both cheap, at WalMart, and that wax is one of the top rated ones by Consumer Reports. It's easy on and easy off.

Check out the detailing forum ;)

Aha! another inductee into the Lexus detailing fanatics forum. Why is it that the IS seems to move people to really want to start detailing. Must be cause the darn thing is just so pretty...

• 1 month later...

I have never washed my Lexus, Lexus Of Sacramento and Lexus Of Roseville here in California do courtesy

washes and they detail it too, you can go every day if you like, I go about twice a week in the summer time..

If the car is a Lexus no matter if it was purchased there or not, the Lexus badge is all that's required..

George