Horrible Gas Mileage

Ando55

Hey everyone, first post over here but I love the atmosphere :), I have an 01 ES300 with around 163,000 miles that I bought preowned from Lexus of Massepequa; Dealer checked out the, tested tranny fluid prior to finalizing sale. It was a one owner car meticulously kept and maintained. Service was all done by the same dealership and I saw all records prior to buying; the car is in Florida now where I currently am located(relocated from NY to FL). My issue is the gas mileage I put the trip meter on 0 once I filled the tank and it shows 225 miles with only 1/4 tank remaining, this is horrendous gas mileage in comparison to the mpg statistically on websites and even if I do the usual multiply the city alone (19) by 18.5 gallons, it comes to approximately 350miles which is far higher then what I'm going to see once this tank is finished. The horrible mileage was experienced multiple times now from filling the tank and using the trip meter to measure, I decided to come here and ask for suggestions;I drive combined highway and city everyday. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Andy

Hey everyone, first post over here but I love the atmosphere :), I have an 01 ES300 with around 163,000 miles that I bought preowned from Lexus of Massepequa; Dealer checked out the, tested tranny fluid prior to finalizing sale. It was a one owner car meticulously kept and maintained. Service was all done by the same dealership and I saw all records prior to buying; the car is in Florida now where I currently am located(relocated from NY to FL). My issue is the gas mileage I put the trip meter on 0 once I filled the tank and it shows 225 miles with only 1/4 tank remaining, this is horrendous gas mileage in comparison to the mpg statistically on websites and even if I do the usual multiply the city alone (19) by 18.5 gallons, it comes to approximately 350miles which is far higher then what I'm going to see once this tank is finished. The horrible mileage was experienced multiple times now from filling the tank and using the trip meter to measure, I decided to come here and ask for suggestions;I drive combined highway and city everyday. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Andy

are you takin the number of mile / by the number of gallons u put in the tank (not the tank size)

u will never use 18.5 gallons out of your tank period.

i saw a drop in mpg about 6 months before my o2 sensor poped up a c/e light i couldnt get over 23 mpg drving it the easist i could.

around here i get approx 100 miles every quarter, lots of mountains and i drive alittle hard, i stil get about 21ish 22, on trips i i have hit 400+ mile and be no where near the low fuel light and got 30ish mpg

-Andy

are you takin the number of mile / by the number of gallons u put in the tank (not the tank size)

u will never use 18.5 gallons out of your tank period.

i saw a drop in mpg about 6 months before my o2 sensor poped up a c/e light i couldnt get over 23 mpg drving it the easist i could.

around here i get approx 100 miles every quarter, lots of mountains and i drive alittle hard, i stil get about 21ish 22, on trips i i have hit 400+ mile and be no where near the low fuel light and got 30ish mpg

Well from what I have right now, I did 225 miles on 3/4 tank of gas I know that's plain horrible unless the gas guage is reading bad, my c/e light is on actually and when i read it via computer diagnostics I get the fuel door error, I'll fill up the tank today and see how many gallons I put in, then I'll know exactly how much I used and then divide by the distance the trip meter measured...thanks again

Calculate the mpg. The miles per whever you are in the tank gauge is meaningless. Hell they keep 2-2.5 gallons of fuel past empty to begin with. That's like... Another 40-70 miles till *really empty.

But in your case. I would definately check the responciveness of your o2 sensors. They'll be worthless @ 225,000m if they've never been changed.

Calculate the mpg. The miles per whever you are in the tank gauge is meaningless. Hell they keep 2-2.5 gallons of fuel past empty to begin with. That's like... Another 40-70 miles till *really empty.

But in your case. I would definately check the responciveness of your o2 sensors. They'll be worthless @ 225,000m if they've never been changed.

I just filled the tank 13.579 gallons of gas, and went 233.8 miles on the trip when I filled the tank last time, doing the math: 233.8/13.579 gallons of gas used got me 17.232 mpg on average which is terrbile =[, I'll definitely have to look into the 02 sensor on the car and the C/E light is on.

Hey Ando55, when I had my '01 ES I used to get poor gas mileage when I moved down to FL from Connecticut. When I was living in CT 1-2 yrs ago, I would get anywhere between 22-24 mpg on any given day (mixed city/hwy driving). I noticed a big difference with the mileage here in FL as it got down to 18-19 mpg. I don't drive with a lead foot, and I keep up with all the regular maintenance (i.e. air filter, tire pressure, use A/C sparingly, fuel treatment, throttle body cleaning). My friend who has a Tacoma pickup and also lives here in Orlando too noticed a decrease in gas mileage here in FL compared to when he was living in the Northeast, and we think it has something to do with the nature of the pipeline gas here in this state. That is, it's possible we get not as clean of a fuel as in other states.

Hey Ando55, when I had my '01 ES I used to get poor gas mileage when I moved down to FL from Connecticut. When I was living in CT 1-2 yrs ago, I would get anywhere between 22-24 mpg on any given day (mixed city/hwy driving). I noticed a big difference with the mileage here in FL as it got down to 18-19 mpg. I don't drive with a lead foot, and I keep up with all the regular maintenance (i.e. air filter, tire pressure, use A/C sparingly, fuel treatment, throttle body cleaning). My friend who has a Tacoma pickup and also lives here in Orlando too noticed a decrease in gas mileage here in FL compared to when he was living in the Northeast, and we think it has something to do with the nature of the pipeline gas here in this state. That is, it's possible we get not as clean of a fuel as in other states.

I won't rule that suggestion out! I ran the diagnostic tool to find out the error code that caused the CE light to be on, Code P0446: EVAP Emission System Circuit malfunction, I believe that has to be with Vacuum Control Valve along with the Vapor Pressure VSV and the charcoal canister. I'll take a look into my 02 as well, and the basics(filter and plugs) 17.3mpg mostly highway isn't cutting it at all.. :(