Acc Cabin Filter

rfg

It's right behind the Glove Compartment. Open the glove compartment all the way and look at the top rear of it. There is a black "snap off panel" [cheap plastic] about 1-2 inches high and the width of the glove compartment. It snaps off. The filter is then visable. I took mine out a year ago and cleaned it.

UPDATE on the RX 300 cabin air filter. It's WASHABLE !! After RFQ raised the subject, I decided to look at mine again, even tho I had taken it out a year ago and tapped the dirt off of it. Removed the top black plastic strip from the back of the glove compartment; then about 2-3 inches behind where the strip was is a pull out black plastic panel that just pushes in a opening. Right behind that is a plastic assembly that pulls out like a tray and there is the filter!

Mine was pretty dirty, kinda black w/ bits of leaves and twigs on it (less than 30,000 miles). Took it in the backyard and lightly sprayed it w/ a garden hose and the spray portion of the nozzle and hung it up to dry. It's made of what appears to be pleated (sp) cotton in a thin white plastic frame. Use only cold water to clean it as warm or hot water may disolve the glue. Put a few deoridizer drops on it and reinstalled it. Make note of which way the filter is facing when you remove it from it's frame so you can put it back the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this post. I received a flyer from Lexus today (Aug 29, 2003) w/ some "Special Offers". To replace the cabin A/C filter, they want $79.95. [plus tax and shop supplies].

I figure about $92.00 total for something that takes 3 minutes to remove and another 3 minutes to replace. Add a little bit of time to wash the old one of course, but less than 10 minutes at best. You gotta love these Lexus labor and parts rates.

If you buy the filter from lexus, the run about 30 bucks....... I have seen them on ebay for 15.00. I did the same thing, removed it and lightly rinsed it off. It is suprising how fast it gets dirty and all the different stuff it will collect. :)

• 1 year later...

I just changed mine today - pretty easy. After you take the black plastic deal out of the back of the glove box you'll find 10 inch x 1.5 inch panel with some handles that stick out. This is a door that interference fits into a hole. Give it a yank and off it pops. The filter sits in an oversize "Easybake Oven" tray. Feel around blindly in there - you'll find a little handle in the middleto grab between your thumb and fingers - slide out the tray.

$25 for the filter! Next time it gets the hose - kinda like I got the hose from Lexus for a $3 filter with an 800% mark-up. :censored:

Live and learn man.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I actually went looking for the air cabin filter today in my (new to me) 2004 RX330. After turning the black pins on either side of the glove box and then slipping my fingers behind the pins, I was able to rotate the glove box down. I looked all over for the black plastic cover and there was none. I did find a Toyota white plastic box at the rear of the glove box area and gave it a tug. To me it looked like electronics were behind this white plastic cover so I was a bit nervous. It popped out and there was the dirty filter. Mine also was covered in seeds and hair and God only knows what else. I washed mine off for now and will order a new one from eBay.

Just thought I would share since mine was a bit different from the one described earlier.

I have even sprayed mine with simple green and rinsed, looks like new afterwards, so far have washed three times with no problems. Definetly a rip to buy one unless its damaged.

Unless you get black rinse water, indicating that the charcoal is washing out, then I would suggest that rinsing it lightly would be ok. I would suggest that the charcoal is suspended so as to be stable enough to tolerate this light washing.

Anyone have a part number for the Toyota equivalent?

• 3 months later...
It's right behind the Glove Compartment. Open the glove compartment all the way and look at the top rear of it. There is a black "snap off panel" [cheap plastic] about 1-2 inches high and the width of the glove compartment. It snaps off. The filter is then visable. I took mine out a year ago and cleaned it.

How do you open the glove compartment of the RX330 2007, all the way?

Thanks

How do you open the glove compartment of the RX330 2007, all the way?

Thanks

On my '05 330, the black plastic hinges are turned a 1/4 turn and then pulled off of the post. At that time, the glove box rotates farther forward, presenting access to the plastic cover. Pull out and the filter is there. I have rinsed mine off twice but I will replace it soon. Rinsing caused no unwanted "black water" indicating that the charcoal filter material was still intact. Oth, activated charcoal (if that is what is there) may no longer be as effective as when it was new 2 1/2 years ago.

Hope your '07 works the same way.

Gary