Winter Tire Setup (mid Atlantic)?

I am a newbie, just purchased an IS350 (18" wheels), and while I think the 350 performs admirable in the rain, I am terrified of driving the 18" summer tires through the intermittant winter of Maryland. Any advice?

I am currently considering a winter 17" tire/wheel package through Tirerack.

thanks in advance.

07 IS350 Smky Grnt Mica Nav, Lux, IPA, HW

I am facing a similar problem, but different. My car, an IS250, is equipped with 17", and I am planning on going to a 16" wheel and winter tire package from the Tire Rack. I am a bit chagrined at having to spend over $900 for such a package, but such is life.

I think that you will find that there is an article on the Tire Rack website on the size of wheel related to traction, and they recommend the 16" wheel for winter driving. It will give you more tire flex, more traction and be a better all around tire in the winter. If you noticed, they will also ship them to you mounted and balanced.

I'm in Chicago, and probably need to do this in the next few weeks, before the snow flies and they run out of stock. Let me know what you decide.

larry

I am facing a similar problem, but different. My car, an IS250, is equipped with 17", and I am planning on going to a 16" wheel and winter tire package from the Tire Rack. I am a bit chagrined at having to spend over $900 for such a package, but such is life.

I think that you will find that there is an article on the Tire Rack website on the size of wheel related to traction, and they recommend the 16" wheel for winter driving. It will give you more tire flex, more traction and be a better all around tire in the winter. If you noticed, they will also ship them to you mounted and balanced.

I'm in Chicago, and probably need to do this in the next few weeks, before the snow flies and they run out of stock. Let me know what you decide.

larry

I'm looking at a the 17" winter tire and wheel package, but once you add pressure sensors it gets pricey- $1600 shipped. I'm looking at the Blizzack LM-25, which should give pretty decent performance as well (actually they're the only 17's that Tirerack recommends for the IS350). The dealer says no way to turn off the tire pressure sensors which turn out to be $500!!!

Does your $900 setup include the sensors?

Hooooo NOOOOO. It doesn't include sensors, but I understand from the moderator of this board that I can put wheels on the car without sensors, and as long as I turn off the warning signal, I don't have to worry about it.

And, if you're concerned about traction, I would still consider getting 16" wheels for your car. Certainly 17" with winter tires is going to help over 18" with performance tires, but who does performance driving in the winter? Be careful of that patch of ice!!!!! :ph34r: :o

larry

Hooooo NOOOOO. It doesn't include sensors, but I understand from the moderator of this board that I can put wheels on the car without sensors, and as long as I turn off the warning signal, I don't have to worry about it.

And, if you're concerned about traction, I would still consider getting 16" wheels for your car. Certainly 17" with winter tires is going to help over 18" with performance tires, but who does performance driving in the winter? Be careful of that patch of ice!!!!! :ph34r: :o

larry

I would LOVE to not buy the sensors, but the dealer said there is no way to turn the warning off.

so how do you it??????

Tirerack doesn't list 16" wheel setup for the 350?

The little button to the lower left of the steering wheel is what controls the displays and warnings. If you press it and then the right or left arrow, it will change the display and you can change the warning to ON or OFF and change the pressure settings.

I haven't asked a dealer, and I don't know how the pressure sensors work. But I'll be damned if I am going to spend an extra 450 bazingos to get them on my winter tires.

I have never needed pressure sensors in the past and I really don't need them now. I would have rather had memory seat and mirrors.

larry

The little button to the lower left of the steering wheel is what controls the displays and warnings. If you press it and then the right or left arrow, it will change the display and you can change the warning to ON or OFF and change the pressure settings.

I haven't asked a dealer, and I don't know how the pressure sensors work. But I'll be damned if I am going to spend an extra 450 bazingos to get them on my winter tires.

I have never needed pressure sensors in the past and I really don't need them now. I would have rather had memory seat and mirrors.

larry

I know the button you're talking about...I tried to cycle through those settings but did not see a warning to OFF...I will take another look. thanks for responding, I'd MUCH rather not spend the "bazingos" either. :D

I went out to my car to look at the satellite switch, did not see a way to turn it off. I can turn Park Assist and active headlights but not Tire Pressure

it's been discussed in other forums. they say there's no way to disable unless you unplug the hardware behind the dash.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...pressure+sensor

Well, me and my big mouth. :chairshot: I reached down to the switch to "prove" my point, and in the process set up the alarm on the tire pressure. Now, I have to reset the pressure by going through the setup process, and I guess that I will have to go through the winter with the red and yellow sign flashing on my dash.

Nope, I couldn't figure out how to turn the damn thing off. It is just going to "beep" at me till I reset my tire pressure to be correct at the pressure I want.

Now I've got to read that section of the :censored: manual again, and pull out my compressor, and get a decent pressure guage. Might as well get some new caps for the valve stems as well. Oh, well.

larry