First Roadtrip In My Ls 400

GKLCPA

I just completed my first extended road trip in my newly acquired 1996 LS 400. I traveled from eastern PA to Indianapolis Indiana, which is approximately 1,300 miles round trip.

This machine is truly a road car that's just simply incomparable to any other vehicle I've ever driven. I was exceedingly comfortable on the trip. Normally, after driving a distance like that one gets a bit of body fatigue. I did not experience that in this car at all. Power delivery was just outstanding. I was on the PA turnpike hitting speeds between 85 to 100 mph and it didn't even feel like I was going that fast. There was no vibration or unsteady feel at those speeds at all. Simply an awesome driving experience in an awesome car.

Previously, I've jumped around from car to car and have never had the same car twice. That stops now. From here on out, I will only buy Lexus; specifically the LS 400/430/460 series.

I forgot to mention that even after driving at 85-100 mph, my fuel mileage was still 25 mpg. If I had used the cruise control, it doubtlessly would have been higher---a truly impressive vehicle!

Don't you love your Lex! I drove mine for about 8 hours and did not feel a thing!

I am so happy with the brand that my dream job after I retire would be to become a salesman for Lexus, because, finally I can talk the truth about a car without having to lie about. I believe so much in the brand, that my first act as soon as I can would be buying a brand new unit just to show my clients how much I trust the Lexus Name.

To me it would be a vacation instead of a Job, being part of the Lexus Family. I live in PR an Island with average yearly income of about 14,000 a year, and yet they are selling, at the only Lexus dealer about a 100 units per month. One of the employees told me the dealer is becoming too small for them, if they relocate this would be the 3rd time they do. The LS 460L is a killer of a car.

C. PR

I just completed my first extended road trip in my newly acquired 1996 LS 400. I traveled from eastern PA to Indianapolis Indiana, which is approximately 1,300 miles round trip.

This machine is truly a road car that's just simply incomparable to any other vehicle I've ever driven. I was exceedingly comfortable on the trip. Normally, after driving a distance like that one gets a bit of body fatigue. I did not experience that in this car at all. Power delivery was just outstanding. I was on the PA turnpike hitting speeds between 85 to 100 mph and it didn't even feel like I was going that fast. There was no vibration or unsteady feel at those speeds at all. Simply an awesome driving experience in an awesome car.

Previously, I've jumped around from car to car and have never had the same car twice. That stops now. From here on out, I will only buy Lexus; specifically the LS 400/430/460 series.

I definitely love my Lexus. I spent about 26 hours driving the car round trip and that's still not enough! I just can't say enough about the quality of these cars.

It would definitely be quite easy to become a salesperson for Lexus and give testimonials. Anyone who drives one of these cars is going to sell themselves. At this point, I'll not own any other car than the LS 400/430/460

I drove the LS 460L about a week ago. That car is fantastic

Don't you love your Lex! I drove mine for about 8 hours and did not feel a thing!

I am so happy with the brand that my dream job after I retire would be to become a salesman for Lexus, because, finally I can talk the truth about a car without having to lie about. I believe so much in the brand, that my first act as soon as I can would be buying a brand new unit just to show my clients how much I trust the Lexus Name.

To me it would be a vacation instead of a Job, being part of the Lexus Family. I live in PR an Island with average yearly income of about 14,000 a year, and yet they are selling, at the only Lexus dealer about a 100 units per month. One of the employees told me the dealer is becoming too small for them, if they relocate this would be the 3rd time they do. The LS 460L is a killer of a car.

C. PR

Hello All,

My wife and I traveled 11 hour nonstop from Northeastern PA to Nashville, TN. I drove in between 70-80mph the whole way. This 1991 LS400 has 94K on it and got 26mpg!!!! After arriving in Nashville, the only fatigue I experienced were my eyes. This car is 15 years old and I REFUSE to get rid of it. We've had in our family the following cars:

1) 1985 MB 380SE (died at 80K, premature in my opinion)

2) 1996 LS400 (leased it new, been returned after lease :( ) ,

3) 2001 RX300 (still have w/ 70K, no problems, great SUV)

4) 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo (involved in an accident and totaled)

5) 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (still have, WORST VEHICLE EVER!!!!!!!!)

6) 1999 Toyota HiLux Surf (4Runner in Peru, great SUV, had to sell it)

7) 1984 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (couch on wheels, about as reliable as a solar powered flashlight)

Sorry for the non-chronilogical order, but these Lexus cars are the best, barnone. I expect to keep it (and eventually get another LS) for another 10-15 years (hopefully Toyota/Lexus will continue to supply parts). CHEERS

EDWARD R.

Edward,

I know where Hazelton is and you're not far from me. I'm in Nazareth which is near the Jersey border. A lot of former New Jerseyeans are migrating here being driven out by the high property taxes, real estate and auto insurance in that state. As a matter of fact, I am a New Jersey "refugee" myself.

Sounds like your road trip experience was very similar to mine! I could drive this car all day long as it's just that comfortable. These are great vehicles.

Like you, I had a Mercedes and had headaches with it. A bigger headache was my 1987 BMW 535i. A great car to drive when it was working. Unfortunately, the car was a moneypit. My 1998 Maxima was a good car with low maintenance but doesn't compare to the Lex. The LS is just simply head and shoulders above any car I've owned previously and I'll not have anything but an LS from here on out

Hello All,

My wife and I traveled 11 hour nonstop from Northeastern PA to Nashville, TN. I drove in between 70-80mph the whole way. This 1991 LS400 has 94K on it and got 26mpg!!!! After arriving in Nashville, the only fatigue I experienced were my eyes. This car is 15 years old and I REFUSE to get rid of it. We've had in our family the following cars:

1) 1985 MB 380SE (died at 80K, premature in my opinion)

2) 1996 LS400 (leased it new, been returned after lease :( ) ,

3) 2001 RX300 (still have w/ 70K, no problems, great SUV)

4) 1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo (involved in an accident and totaled)

5) 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (still have, WORST VEHICLE EVER!!!!!!!!)

6) 1999 Toyota HiLux Surf (4Runner in Peru, great SUV, had to sell it)

7) 1984 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (couch on wheels, about as reliable as a solar powered flashlight)

Sorry for the non-chronilogical order, but these Lexus cars are the best, barnone. I expect to keep it (and eventually get another LS) for another 10-15 years (hopefully Toyota/Lexus will continue to supply parts). CHEERS

EDWARD R.

GKLCPA, I know exactly where you're coming from. Once you experience a road trip in the LS, it's nearly impossible to imagine riding in anything else, especially when you know you paid less for the LS than for a used Kia. We drove ours from Raleigh to Key West and back in the summer of 05', and it was great! We went through two hurricanes, and all of that good weather, and it held it's ground beautifully. When these cars are tuned in just right, you simply can't beat them. The frustrating part is when something falls out of tune, like a warped rotor or thrown wheel weight, and you can feel it. It's frustrating because you've witness the excellent ride, and will do anything to get it back! But once it's back...you're in sheer heaven!! I think the only other car I would consider might me the GS430 some day. Same comfy interior, but in a little bit more sporty setup.

I assume you're probably 5 10'? I don't think I've ever heard someone who was 6 feet or taller say they find the LS very comfortable for long trips. Which I can understand completely. They're not big cars on the inside. They're wide, but not very long.

I just had my first extended drive in my '93 LS400

(St. Louis - Joplin MO and back - 280 miles each way)

I'm a good sized guy (6', 230 lbs.) and have to wear

a knee brace. I was pretty comfortable all the way.

My mileage still wasn't the greatest, ~22 mpg, but there

was limited chance to actually run on cruise control for more

than a few miles. Speed varied from 50-78; it's a four lane

highway where few people use left lane only for passing,

too many seem to use it for coasting.

Hi NC,

Actually, I'm a fairly big guy; about 6'1" and 260 lbs. Even still, I'm very comfortable in the car and have plenty of head and leg room. I've read people here complaining about the room, but I've no complaints about that at all. I had to LOL when reading your comments about used LS pricing vs a used Kia !

GKLCPA, I know exactly where you're coming from. Once you experience a road trip in the LS, it's nearly impossible to imagine riding in anything else, especially when you know you paid less for the LS than for a used Kia. We drove ours from Raleigh to Key West and back in the summer of 05', and it was great! We went through two hurricanes, and all of that good weather, and it held it's ground beautifully. When these cars are tuned in just right, you simply can't beat them. The frustrating part is when something falls out of tune, like a warped rotor or thrown wheel weight, and you can feel it. It's frustrating because you've witness the excellent ride, and will do anything to get it back! But once it's back...you're in sheer heaven!! I think the only other car I would consider might me the GS430 some day. Same comfy interior, but in a little bit more sporty setup.

I assume you're probably 5 10'? I don't think I've ever heard someone who was 6 feet or taller say they find the LS very comfortable for long trips. Which I can understand completely. They're not big cars on the inside. They're wide, but not very long.

Well then you can imagine what a guy who is 3 inches shorter, and 90 lb's lighter feels like in the LS! Hell, I've still got 3 or 4 inches left in my seat's lateral movement to go!

Off I go, for a bowl of Wheaties! :cheers:

THis past Monday I drove my 94 LS400 from KC to Sioux City and back. All told about 630 miles on a trip that started at 5:30 AM and ended at midnight. Any other car and I would have given up and gotten a motel room for the night rather than return home. I'm 6'1" and 230.

I'm 6' and was always very comfortable in the LS. I am in the ES too.
Yeah, I think in most cases 6' or 6'1 is the cut off height to be most comfortable. "Most" being the key word here! lol

The farthest I've driven in my LS was from Chicago (Midway), IL to Bowling Green, KY (toured the Corvette plant) to Jackson, MS--roughly 900 miles in less than a day. :wacko: It wasn't great, but I wasn't miserable either.