Dealer Stratched My New Car

dsmiles

I bought my new 2007 GX470 about 2 weeks ago. My wife took the car to the dealership Friday to get the complimentary car wash and yesterday I noticed that the car has a 3-4 inch stratch on the passenger fender. The stratch looks like someone tried to touch up the area. I am wondering if the stratch existed when I first purchased the car or during the car wash. My wife said that she waiting for the car to be washed for no more than 30-45 minutes. I am not sure that is long enough to wash and touch-up the car.

My question is how should I approach my service person. Do I have a case to have them install a new fender or should I settle on them painting or touching up the area?

dsmiles1

theoretically, you have no case, unless your wife spotted the damage right when she picked it up.

now, my dealer, before i go in for a service, walks around the car and marks down every single scratch on the car, like a valet person. im not sure if they do that for the car wash, but ask your wife...

you can ask them about it, but i doubt you will get them to repaint your car. maybe they will meet you half way? perhaps you can get off with just paying for materials. lexus usually is nice about customer service, surprise surprise

theoretically, you have no case, unless your wife spotted the damage right when she picked it up.

now, my dealer, before i go in for a service, walks around the car and marks down every single scratch on the car, like a valet person. im not sure if they do that for the car wash, but ask your wife...

you can ask them about it, but i doubt you will get them to repaint your car. maybe they will meet you half way? perhaps you can get off with just paying for materials. lexus usually is nice about customer service, surprise surprise

I forgot to ask my wife if they spot check the car. I doubt it for a car wash. I was hoping that there were others out there that experience something similar. I will see what happens today.

dsmiles1

I forgot to ask my wife if they spot check the car. I doubt it for a car wash. I was hoping that there were others out there that experience something similar. I will see what happens today.

dsmiles1

I took the car to the dealer and they first did not want to own up to any wrong doing. After about 20 minutes of discussion we all reached the conclusion that this was not a scratch but something on the surface of the car. They still did not want to own up to this happening under their watch. They buff the car and the mark disappear. One of the service guy suspect that this mark was caused by a marker used when the car was at the port. Boy am I happy.

dsmiles1

• 1 month later...

dsmiles1

I took the car to the dealer and they first did not want to own up to any wrong doing. After about 20 minutes of discussion we all reached the conclusion that this was not a scratch but something on the surface of the car. They still did not want to own up to this happening under their watch. They buff the car and the mark disappear. One of the service guy suspect that this mark was caused by a marker used when the car was at the port. Boy am I happy.

dsmiles1

I had something similar happen to my SC430. I took it in for service and when I picked it up I noticed a scratch on the bumper. I went and got the service manager who looked at it and said "looks new, we'll take care of it." They got me another loaner car, I took off and they fixed my bumper.

This is why I buy a Lexus.

Hopefully the fact that I have bought 4 new Lexus' from them (LS400, LS430, SC430, and GX470) doesn't make them treat me any differently than anybody else.

Lesson learned here. Always, always check the vehicle after having it serviced. I'm glad I did that with the 5k mile oil change and rotation of my 4Runner. I got the Runner back with a big dent like scratch on one of my rims. looks like the guy didnt pay attention to that certain bolt and started hitting my rim, which dented and scratched it. I checked the other rims and NOT A SINGLE scratch, or anything even the part around the bolts.

Well I had my service advisor quickly check it out. He went in to talk to his manager and I was crossing fingers that it wouldn't be another Fresno Lexus fight and hopefully they would pay for a re-touch or repair or something like what I had with my GX rim. He comes out telling me "So I need to get your tire size" and I was like, wtf to myself? They agreed to change the rim! That's service right there, better than the Lexus dealership service! Only setback is that it's a 2 week wait and i have to leave the car at the dealer for a day as they dont have the stuffs to remove the rubber from the old to the new rim.

Next time you guys have any service or car washes done, CHECK THE VEHICLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR SCRATCH. ;)

Lesson learned here. Always, always check the vehicle after having it serviced. I'm glad I did that with the 5k mile oil change and rotation of my 4Runner. I got the Runner back with a big dent like scratch on one of my rims. looks like the guy didnt pay attention to that certain bolt and started hitting my rim, which dented and scratched it. I checked the other rims and NOT A SINGLE scratch, or anything even the part around the bolts.

Well I had my service advisor quickly check it out. He went in to talk to his manager and I was crossing fingers that it wouldn't be another Fresno Lexus fight and hopefully they would pay for a re-touch or repair or something like what I had with my GX rim. He comes out telling me "So I need to get your tire size" and I was like, wtf to myself? They agreed to change the rim! That's service right there, better than the Lexus dealership service! Only setback is that it's a 2 week wait and i have to leave the car at the dealer for a day as they dont have the stuffs to remove the rubber from the old to the new rim.

Next time you guys have any service or car washes done, CHECK THE VEHICLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR SCRATCH. ;)

What kind of dealership doesn't have a tire changing machine? I hope you were joking?

What kind of dealership doesn't have a tire changing machine? I hope you were joking?

Apparently my Toyota dealer. lol :wacko: :) But that's ok. I'm taking his word for it and I'm taking note of the mileage when I leave the 4Runner at the dealer when the rim comes in. I have to be happy at least they are going to replace it. Unlike my GX rim, I barely got my Lexus dealer to just re-touch it, moreso replace it. But I don't think my 4Runner rim could be re-touched. It's sort of a chrome like rim, not totally chrome but it's not a painted alloy like the GX, so it seems like it's impossible to just repair it. :whistles: :)