1991 Ls400 Ignition Switch Removal

BIGBUX

HI THERE ALL TRYING TO REPLACE MY IGNITION SWITCH WHERE THE KEY GOES BECASE MINE BLOCK THE KEY FROM TURNING, I SEE A LARGE COPPER SCREW WHERE THE IGNITION SWITCH IS, HOW DO I POP IT OUT FOR REPLACEMENT , PLEASE SOME ONE HELP . I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THE OLD IGNITION SWITCH AND REPLCING IT WITH ONE FROM A SALVAGE YARD WITH THE KEY , THANKS

I had to remove mine about a 2 years ago but i can't remember the exact steps. I want to say you have to turn the key to the on position to get it where it will slide out -- but my memory of the exact steps escapes me -- sorry. Once you get it out you may be able to salvage the switch. I had the same problem (key wouldn't turn) and also had the same problem in the drivers door lock. I ended up removing a couple of the pins in the lock cylinder that were binding. That way you can keep the same key. Good luck.

• 3 years later...

when you replace your ignition switch and get another key without the transponder chip does that cause your car to just turn over when trying to crank it. My car is just turning over i think its because i changed the ignition switch and key but the new key doesnt have a transponder chip. help!!!!!!!!!!!!