Sc400 Aftermarket Radio Installation Kit, Any Available?

Sandman

Hi. I need to find a kit so I can get my aftermarket stereo installed and fitted into the console of my 1992 SC400. I've searched the net but I am coming up empty. Any ideas? It's a Kenwood KDC-X811 if that makes any difference.

Mike

I dont think there are any kits avaliable to install the deck but what i would do is go to any shop that installs decks and ask for a filler. You can also try any store like circuit city which also installs stereos. Its basically a peice of plastic that fills in the space left in the console, it should cost only a couple dollars. They come in different sizes so make sure you measure the space you need if you are doing it yourself. I will send you some pics of my car stereo from my other car that has this filler.

Check out this setup http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=4600

Hi. I need to find a kit so I can get my aftermarket stereo installed and fitted into the console of my 1992 SC400. I've searched the net but I am coming up empty. Any ideas? It's a Kenwood KDC-X811 if that makes any difference.

Mike

I dont think there are any kits avaliable to install the deck but what i would do is go to any shop that installs decks and ask for a filler. You can also any store like circuit city which also installs stereos. Its basically a peice of plastic that fills in the space left in the console, it should cost only a couple dollars. They come in different sizes so make sure you measure the space you need if you are doing it yourself. I will send you some pics of my car stereo from my other car that has this filler.

Check out this setup http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=4600

Well that looks good to me! I guess the problem was I was going to a Best Buy to do the install and they told me I needed a kit. Guess not. I'll go someplace else to do the install then and find one that has the right stuff to do it. Thanks.

I think you should try calling a Speed shop and ask them cost. You can always shop around to get the best value.

I'd also check out the Audio and video Forum, and the Audio and Performance Thread just in case you missed something, if you haven't already done so.

I think you should try calling a Speed shop and ask them cost. You can always shop around to get the best value.

I'd also check out the Audio and video Forum, and the Audio and Performance Thread just in case you missed something, if you haven't already done so.

Thanks, yeah I checked around here. I'll shop around some local stores tomorrow and see what they can do.

• 1 year later...
if it is located in the right hand side then it must be in the front part of the trunk and not were the CD changer is?

Mine is in the trunk-right hand side underneath the Pioneer 12 disk cd changer. Bit of a chore to get out. My amp recently suffered what appears to be water damage from condensation (I think) as the drain tubes located nearby all appear fine.

I have searched to no avail for a Stereo Kit, it seems that the new system I might be looking at would have to be completely custom. As the local Toyota dealer for cost of a replacement amp and was quoted $1046 US plus taxes plus shipping.

So, thinking of a new system with a newer amp. I hope that my installer can somehow tie into the existing Subwoofer amplifier, but he is not sure. I am going to give up the 12 D changer as it is finicky about media, and seems to be starting to show its age (1995 SC400). The new head unit will hopefully have a usb plug-in as well as MP3 capable and I-pod adaptor.

This whole audio replacement endeavor has not been a easy thing, as these cars seem to be pretty unique and more complicated than many others. Any advice or comments would be welcome.

• 1 year later...

Mike

I'm not sure if you guys find the solution... try this site:

http://www.metraonline.com/fit.aspx

or try this Ebay store, I ordered mine from them and they ship it pretty fast.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/DK-SUPER-STORE__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I just installed my after market radio with Metra Wiring harness (Parts # 70-8112) and Turbokit (Parts # 95-8157B) This kit was for Double din, because I'm going to install a 2 meter radio underneath. You need to use the site to find what fit your installation need.

I just have one problem, I'm getting the sound but I don't think I'm using the factory amplifier, because the sound was not as loud as the factory radio. I'm still doing some research and will post whatever solution I find.

• 3 weeks later...

go to my profile and read my posts on the SCOSCHE wiring harness for a 1991 Toyota Supra that can be found at walmart. it will allow you to keep you factory speakers (including that sub &amp) and install the deck of your choice and put what ever you can fit in the trunk. just plug the scosche harness to the factory plugs and install your custom equipment like in any other vehicle. i'll have some pix of my audio set up in my gallery before the week is up. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Mike

Mike,

I just retrofitted my 93 SC400 with a new Alpine head. There is a dash kit for that made by Metra out of Florida. Hope this helps.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...