Wrecked My 96 Ls400

ezekielj007

Yesterday I was taking my kids to school and was hit by a 72 mustang on the front drivers side. This messed up the head light and the front panel pretty badly (no damage to the hood). I had the tow truck take it to LEXUS of SOUTH ATLANTA which has it's own collision center in house. I'm wondering if you think the paint will get blended in or will they just paint the panel. My suspension assembley is gone to as my tire was kinda pushed towards the engine. Ther may even be frame damage and my Michelin was busted <= do you think they'll put two new tires on the front? I have no clue what to expect. Oh, do insurance companies normally pay the depreciated worth of the car after and accident?

post-23383-1163771555_thumb.jpg

A good body shop will match the paint easily. That's not your biggest worry. With suspension damage, it is possible that the car will be written off. If they go that route, argue for the maximum amount of money, and not for a repair. Just get away from the car and find another IF the offerred amount is fair and reasonable.

You're right - the value of the car is diminished after the accident even if repaired properly. And insurance doesn't cover that.

Thanks for the reply. I talked to the insurance adjuster and she said they would give me roughly the NADA retail average if the car is totaled. That is a lil more than 11 grand when I looked it up yesterday. That's pretty good for a car I bought 3 months ago for $8,800. I'm starting to hope it is writen off but I just don't know if the repair cost would be enough to make them total it. They would probably even try to reshape the frame if it's bent.

Thanks for the reply. I talked to the insurance adjuster and she said they would give me roughly the NADA retail average if the car is totaled. That is a lil more than 11 grand when I looked it up yesterday. That's pretty good for a car I bought 3 months ago for $8,800. I'm starting to hope it is writen off but I just don't know if the repair cost would be enough to make them total it. They would probably even try to reshape the frame if it's bent.

They will not repair the frame. I bet you they will total it. Also be prepared to haggle for the amount.

Man, I'm sorry to hear this news :o . How was the Mustang?

The insurance company has it's own set of NADA numbers, and I can guarantee you it doesn't say $11k for the car. Plus, they won't give you more than what you paid for it, or what you owe on it. My guess? The damage will cost more than 51% of their value, and total it out. I see probably $5k worth of work on your car, especially when you INSIST on using genuine lexus parts, and it be done by a genuine lexus shop. Not Bubba and Leroy down at "you wreck it, we inspect it". The will probably (a) pay off the loan, or (B) pay what their numbers indicate as the insurable value, not the market value.

Several years ago I had a business management professor who was loaded, and was on Good Morning America defending his company's product...which assigned market values of vehicles for insurance companies. His calculations were so low, that several people sued their insurance company when it came time to file a claim, such as yourself. They pointed the finger to the number..which lead to his company, which put him in the hot seat because he was personally liable for the start up loan the company took out to get it off the ground a few years prior, and on Good Morning America.

ez:

If your vehicle is sitting in a towing impound yard, DO NOT authorize it's release from that yard (to the insurance company's yard) UNTIL you have a check in your hand that is an acceptable amount of compensation from the insurance company. In fact, you should call the towing company and specifically tell them that you DO NOT authorize it's release and that only you can authorize it's release. Get the persons full name and make a notation of time and date.

The insurance company has to pay the towing company a daily storage fee, which adds up over time. The first thing the adjusters are trained to do is to get the vehicle released, so that the daily fees from the towing yard stops. If the vehicle is removed from the towing yard and moved to the insurance company's yard, the insurance company has ZERO motivation to bargain with you in good faith. And like another poster said, be prepared (because it WILL happen) to haggle.

ez:

If your vehicle is sitting in a towing impound yard, DO NOT authorize it's release from that yard (to the insurance company's yard) UNTIL you have a check in your hand that is an acceptable amount of compensation from the insurance company. In fact, you should call the towing company and specifically tell them that you DO NOT authorize it's release and that only you can authorize it's release. Get the persons full name and make a notation of time and date.

The insurance company has to pay the towing company a daily storage fee, which adds up over time. The first thing the adjusters are trained to do is to get the vehicle released, so that the daily fees from the towing yard stops. If the vehicle is removed from the towing yard and moved to the insurance company's yard, the insurance company has ZERO motivation to bargain with you in good faith. And like another poster said, be prepared (because it WILL happen) to haggle.

I didn't realise insurance companies were such crooks in the US !?

In the Uk the over 50% rule applies the same and some body shops will put in what they think is 40% of the cars value, start the work then 'find' more work later so often up to 60-70% car valvu can be spent on fixing.

However, incurance companis do not make the effort to worm out of paying like the US, last incident I had they payed me the excess (250gbp) back within 3 months of the claim being finalised and paid for both the body shops loaner car and the hire car I paid for myself once I gave them the bill.