A Different Tire Question

Gunnut

Okay, I need tires for my 94 LS400. I've made my decision on which brand/model (bridgestone LSV).

I've priced them out at Tire Rack and with shipping I'm looking at @$550 to my door. Then I'd have to pay a local shop about $80 to mount/balance them.

i could get them from my local Firestone dealer for a total of about $15 more out the door.

I hear on this group all the time how great a place Tire rack is to buy from.

Am I missing something on the economics here?

Any alternatives?

JIMA

Tire Rack is not always cheaper or that much cheaper than buying locally. I generally buy from Tire Rack because it is more convenient and cost effective (time, money, gas) to shop on-line than to cruise local stores looking for what I want. Hey, $15 is $15 -- enough to buy a couple of cheeseburgers and fries -- at least here in Lenexa a few miles from where you live in K.C.

I have sometimes found incredible deals at Tire Rack by buying winter tires at the end of the winter and summer tires at the end of the summer. In around 2002, I bought eight Dunlop 4000s at once (our 90 LS and 98 Camry used the same size) when they were on sale at $50. I bought eight tires and four wheels (for snow tires) from Tire Rack in 2003 when I purchased my current LS. When one of the wheel center caps didn't fit exactly right, Tire Rack sent me a complete set with no questions asked -- didn't even ask for me to send the defective one back.

With regular shipping my purchases from Tire Rack usually arrive in 2-3 days. I wish all companies gave such great service.

I concur. If you watch for the Tirerack.com sales you can catch incredible deals vs. buying locally. Plus, I can usually talk them into including something free with my order such as a set of lug nuts, tire gauges, etc. Standard shipping gets the tires here in a couple of days and I agree that their customer service is outstanding....

I also concur, it really depends.

Tire Rack used to be much cheaper, now that they have a following they don't always have as good a price since not as many people cross shop.

Another thing to think about is thefact that Bridgestone has a 30 day ride guarantee. If you don't like the tires a Bridgestone dealer will replace them with whatever you want. Hard to do when you'd have to ship them back to Tire Rack, pay to mount again etc.

Rather than ship to you, what would be the cost if you had them shipped to and balanced/mounted by one of their appointed shops in your area?

TireRack's best deals or cost savings are achieved when you get a set of tires and wheels so they come to you balanced. You just bolt them on. No middle man.

I found the same scenario when I got my Exaltos. I went with my dealer.

steviej

Rather than ship to you, what would be the cost if you had them shipped to and balanced/mounted by one of their appointed shops in your area?

TireRack's best deals or cost savings are achieved when you get a set of tires and wheels so they come to you balanced. You just bolt them on. No middle man.

I found the same scenario when I got my Exaltos. I went with my dealer.

steviej

Actually the $80 is to one of their certified installers.

JimA

• 2 weeks later...

I made an appointment for the Friday after Thanksgiving at a Firestone store to get a new set of LS-Vs for my LS400. I showed up early and talked to the manager. THe appointment was set up and verified online so I figured they had the tires and I would be good to go. Nope. No LS-Vs. THey had LS-Ts, I turned them down since they would be WW plus not the tire I researched and wanted. Week to ten days to order the Vs so I ordered them from TireRack and they'll be here Saturday.

SHould have went with the Rack all along.

I made an appointment for the Friday after Thanksgiving at a Firestone store to get a new set of LS-Vs for my LS400. I showed up early and talked to the manager. THe appointment was set up and verified online so I figured they had the tires and I would be good to go. Nope. No LS-Vs. THey had LS-Ts, I turned them down since they would be WW plus not the tire I researched and wanted. Week to ten days to order the Vs so I ordered them from TireRack and they'll be here Saturday.

SHould have went with the Rack all along.

another reason why I don't like dealing with Firestone/Bridgestone dealers. Not reliable.

steviej