Check Engine Light - Code Scanned

My mechanic mentioned that 9/10 times it is due to a faulty O2 sensor. Is this true? If so, what is happening to my car's performance and gas mileage? Also, is this part expensive because I can either get it fixed by the Lexus dealer (covered under my warranty - $100 deductable) or I can get it fixed by my auto mechanic - will it be more than the $100 deductable that I would be paying anyway? Please help!

My mechanic mentioned that 9/10 times it is due to a faulty O2 sensor. Is this true? If so, what is happening to my car's performance and gas mileage? Also, is this part expensive because I can either get it fixed by the Lexus dealer (covered under my warranty - $100 deductable) or I can get it fixed by my auto mechanic - will it be more than the $100 deductable that I would be paying anyway? Please help!

when i replaced one of my o2 sensors, it cost me $224 for just the part. i called a few local lexus dealerships to get the cheapest price. highest i was qouted was 280 plus tax.. i would go through the warranty if i were you.. if not, i suggest you call around and check prices. also, i don't think it's a good idea to buy one of those universal o2 sensors.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advise. I'll look into my warranty.

Let me know if changing your O2 sensor does the trick Blexus, I'm getting the same code but I'm not convinced it's the O2 sensor as the diagnostic for p0171 or p0174 go through a laundry list before you get to bad O2 sensor and it is an expensive part to change if it's not bad...thanks...D