Air Bag Idiot Light

vltjr

I performed some work which required disconnecting the battery for more than a few hours then discovered that my air bag warning light would not go out after starting and driving the car. After searching the forums I found instructions for resetting a '92 LS, and followed them, without good results. I read a few posts where the posters warned that the procedure for one year model may not be applicable to any others. My LS is a '91. Anyone able to help?

Thanks.

No, that's not exactly the procedure that I followed. The sequence is slightly different. I believe what I got was scanned from a 1992 manual. I'll try yours this afternoon after work.

Thanks, and I'll post my results this evening.

LScott400 - Thanks for the link--attempted to reset repeatedly with no success. Finally I noticed the code was not 41, but 31, which seems to indicate a problem with the center air bag sensor. I don't even know where this sensor is, let alone how to pinpoint the exact problem. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to reset mine 125K ago. Got so used to the light that I would miss it if it went away.

When it talks about .02 seconds touching the wires (refers to it as a wire dance), it ain't kidding. It took me about 6-7 tries before I finally got the fast blinking air bag light. Now I've got to tackle the HVAC LED. The cars not perfect, but 308,000 miles from new, what else can I ask for?

You're right though, I kinda do miss that little light :(