Considering Buying 94 Ls 400 Feedback Please?

wrpsuite

A freind of mine who really isn't into cars and buys a new one every 10-15 years has decided to the latest Lexus flagship which I understand is an awesome stride in automotive engineering.

As aresult of this he is left with a 1994 LS 400 with about 185k miles. This car has been garage kept, driven to the office daily and occasional 3-4 hour trips and remains in Mint condition from all outward appearances. It has been to the dealer for every oil change , tuneup and whatever they recommend religiously. He is going to trade it in when his new car arrives in 4-6 weeks and offered it to me for whatever they offer him.

I would like to replace my minivan and some of my pride at the same time but not sure what I might be getting nin to. I have a close freind who is an awesome mechanic and his comments were as follows: "its a glorified Camry and a gas hog but if you like it get it and I'll help if something goes wrong"

then he said the car is very nice and probably rides like a dream as long as the air suspension is functional.

I wonder how much wholesale on this car is and if I'm getting into a money pit or if it's something I can reasonable expect to put another 60-100k on it without too much expense? Any additional comments are appreciate.

Thank you!

Its not a glorified camry. It changed the way luxury cars were made during the 90's. 185k on a maintained car is nothing. If you get it at trade in, that is quite a deal!

Oh BTW things do go wrong like any car but most problems have been addressed so if you have any questions, before you ask i recommend you use the search feature.

Also air spring can be a pain to deal with so ask your friend if they have ever been serviced. HE would probably remebmer because they are 1k a piece.

If you have a good trusty mechanic then your really are set.

good luck with your decision. And welcome to the club.

PS If you don't want it I do! haha... seriously.

Oh also i didn't answer this. That car wil make it to 300k no problem! Except for the air suspnsion. You can convert them to normal coils springs though when the air struts die.

Hi wrpsuite,

I bought my first Japanese car, ever, a 1991 Ls400 with 186,000 kms (about 115,000 miles). This is when it was already 8 years old. I now have 461,000 kms (about 285,800 miles) on it and still going strong! I was a little worried when I bought it, because of the high mileage, but that did not become a factor. You will have good reliable transportation, if looked after. I still love driving my Lexus and still continue to do so. I know what my next car is going to be... :cheers: Daffy

I drove this thing today and was shocked at how awesome it felt. I'm taking it ! I can't eve nbegin to imagine how great the new ones must be? Where can I get those clear plastic front turn signal covers and other little items for this baby. It's that pearl white color so I'm going to tint the back windows and see what else I can sdo to dress it up.... more to follow!

Hi wrpsuite,

I bought my first Japanese car, ever, a 1991 Ls400 with 186,000 kms (about 115,000 miles). This is when it was already 8 years old. I now have 461,000 kms (about 285,800 miles) on it and still going strong! I was a little worried when I bought it, because of the high mileage, but that did not become a factor. You will have good reliable transportation, if looked after. I still love driving my Lexus and still continue to do so. I know what my next car is going to be... :cheers: Daffy

.................................He is going to trade it in when his new car arrives in 4-6 weeks and offered it to me for whatever they offer him.

Whether the customer has a vehicle to trade is almost always one of the first, if not THE first, question a salesman asks, because its answer determines the entire course of price negotiation.

If your friend is really a friend, then ask him to first negotiate the best price he can WITHOUT telling the salesman that he wants to trade, and THEN, after he has negotiated that price, he should announce that he has a vehicle to trade.

He can do this by telling the salesman that he already has sold his present vehicle (not far from the truth), or he is selling it privately (also close to the truth), and then, after the lowest selling price has been determined, he then says that the buyer of his car changed his mind, or your friend has decided, for liability reasons, not to go through the hassle of a private sale.

This strategy will no doubt give the salesman a heart attack knowing what he has to then say to his very-serioius potential buyer, but this is the only procedure that will give him the true trade-in value of the car at that particular dealership, and that value will almost certainly be a gigantic disappointment for your friend.......... and put a very big smile on your face.

Unfortunately, what it may make your friend realize is that he'd be much better off selling the car privately than trading it in on another vehicle, but who knows, maybe he won't want the hassle and you'll get the car at a very good price.

Good luck.

I own a black 93 and it is the best car I have ever driven in.

WHen I say this it with the fact that I have rented about 40 autos over the past two years. The ride, power and comfort is better then most newer cars.

Most people think my Lexus is a 2002, since they have no clue about luxury cars.

This car is a work horse that is more dependable then most new cars.

So far my Lexus has about 112/19k on it and I have replaced the belts, wires and caps. Also I did add new tires, clear lights and wheels. For a total investment above 10k I could have bought a 98 Ford.