Cartridge Fuse Replacement

vltjr

As will become very apparent, I'm new both to this forum and to my 1991 LS400. To make the description of my problem short, I'll just say that while performing an unrelated job, I blew out the 120A cartridge fuse, rendering my alternator useless.

After searching through the forums, I am unable to locate any specific information on removal and replacement of cartridge fuses. Being new to these particular fuses, I'm looking for VERY specific instructions and any other useful advice.

Thanks.

What I still need to learn is how to remove the small block holding the fusible links/cartridge fuses in order to get to the second bolt anchoring the 120A fuse.

Searched the forum and couldn't find anything that specific.

Thanks.

Thanks to some muscle (to move the fusible link block away from the main fuse block), and my wife's little hands (to thread the little hex bolts), I was able to change the 120A fuse. Now all I have to do is reset the "Air Bag" warning light.

If I can help someone else with this problem, send me a message.

Look at the site: www.lexls.com Click the tutorials link. Scan dowm to the Body electrical site and click on. Then click on the Inst. cluster R&R link. Scan the the bottom and look for the sentence about starting your car with the cluster out and the air bag light on. Click on the link of How to turn the air bag light off.

I used this it took me many, many, many tries to get the correct timming down, But it did work for me.

• 3 months later...

What I still need to learn is how to remove the small block holding the fusible links/cartridge fuses in order to get to the second bolt anchoring the 120A fuse.

Searched the forum and couldn't find anything that specific.

Thanks.

Just read your thread on the 120 amp fuse....I need to replace mine also. I couldn't figure out why its not coming out..I removed the bolt on the engine side of the fuse. Is there another bolt on the other side too?

Thanks,

Steve :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Many, many years later... I ran into this same problem. My wife left the door ajar on our 1996 Lexus LS400 and drained the battery. After jumping & charging I had no lights. I could see the 120A fuse was blown, but couldn't see how it could be removed. Searching uncovered many pleas, but no answers. Forced to figure it out for myself, I now record how to replaced the 120A cartridge fuse in my model, and no doubt many others:

This Lexus has about 50 separate fuses in two fuse boxes (engine & dash). The small fuses are 7.5A, 10A, 15A, etc. The cartridge fuses are in a separate container attached to the main engine fuse container, but under the same cover. The small fuses can be pulled out, but the cartridge fuses are bolted in from both sides and cannot be removed without dismounting the entire container.

1. Remove the battery. You'll need the room.

2. Remove the single nut attaching the right side of the cartridge container.

3. Lift the container up off the plastic post holding the left side to the main fuse container. This post snaps into place, so use a tiny screwdriver to bend the plastic loop of the cartridge case, releasing the snap. (If that's not clear, just shove a screwdriver in there and wiggle it around until the case comes loose.)

4. The cartridge case is now free, attached only by the dozen or so wires coming out the bottom. These wires are all bolted to the sides of the fuses. The reason you cannot see this is that the sides of the cartridge case are actually tiny flip-up doors -- which (of course) are snapped shut. Stick above-mentioned tiny screwdriver under plastic snaps and open the flap on each side of the case.

5. There they are! Remove one bolt from each side the the 120A fuse (or whichever fuse you need to replace).

6. Grasp the top of the fuse with needlenose pliers and pull it up & out.

7. Take said fuse down to local AutoZone (or NAPPA, etc.) and buy 1 (one) 120A cartridge fuse ($2.97). While you're there, pick up a variety of the small 7.5 - 20A fuses as well, just because it's such a waste to drive down to AutoZone for one lousy $3 fuse.

8. Order reverse in 7-1 steps repeat.

Now you can find out what other fuses you blew. Don't waste your time examining every one of the small fuses. You're sure to miss one (I did). So instead, start the car and test every electrical device. Then look in your owners manual to find what fuses protect the ones not working. Each fuse protects many disparate devices. In my case the radio and rear courtesy lights did not work. Strangely enough, fuse #40 is for "Dome, rear courtesy, trunk light, & radio".

WARNING! Other posts on this site warn against disconnecting anything to do with the airbags while the car battery is attached. This can cause the airbag warning light to come on and stay on until you perform a difficult and magical ritual involving a jumper wire, the rpm gauge, and a sacrificial goat. So do NOT go pulling fuses at random while the battery is attached. I don't know for a fact that this is a problem -- and I don't want to find out.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

No you have to depress the clip at the bottom of the pic to release the box. It is very difficult because after so many the plastic gets very hard and doesn't have the flexibility that it used to have.

• 4 years later...

So I'm having a very time trying to figure the inside fuse box. My power windows and sun roof all of the sudden stopped working. I thought I could take out the inside fuse box myself but in doing so I think I screwed something up because now I got no interior gauge lights someone please help

On 7/31/2020 at 6:27 PM, Cali dude said:

So I'm having a very time trying to figure the inside fuse box. My power windows and sun roof all of the sudden stopped working. I thought I could take out the inside fuse box myself but in doing so I think I screwed something up because now I got no interior gauge lights someone please help

What model year is your LS?

• 4 weeks later...

63697_W3.thumb.jpg.2d459d5c98469c2f3a37d103ee378c8b.jpgThe cartridge fuse box is removed and opened with picks.  A straight pick opens the clamp.  As shown in the picture, push the pick into the lower portion of the clip front and rear. 

Once removed the cartridge box, the fuses are removed by removing two nuts 10mm, 8mm.  To get to those nuts two panels must be opened on the sides of the fuse box.  The L shaped pick opens the two panels.  1476176636_IMG_20200822_1754471.thumb.jpg.d64d9be0c4fddae5b0985bfdbff4963c.jpg1662060930_IMG_20200822_1748511.thumb.jpg.9c8c6f28f98d4ef734a4ea3eb61e73e4.jpg853132336_IMG_20200822_1753141.thumb.jpg.fa2dbef8b93b13f5fe1c3ff72673531c.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hi Aguila,

Thanks for sharing the pictures and how to disassemble the cartridge fuse box.  It works well for me (2000 LS400) and I am able to replace 120A fuse quickly.  Need to figure out the way a little though. Here I attached one picture to show how the clip connection looks like for others. 

Hope it will help others.

Jun 

ls400_fuse_boxjpg.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 2:52 PM, jindalmnsh said:

I'm still having trouble with Step#3. Would you be able to give a fuller explanation? It would be most helpful.we have a 1997 LS400.

At step 3 gently use the picks to open the fuse box.  The fuse box panels have plastic clips.  Take your time.  Post a picture of the area giving you trouble 

• 2 years later...