2007 Lexus Ls Review

I enjoyed reading his remarks. Big deal, the LS wasn't enough fun to drive for him. Lexus cars don't tickle his fancy, and their is nothing wrong with that. He's partial to the driving characteristics of BMWs and Mercedes, that comes as a HUGE shock considering he's an automotive writer....right....

All I can say is... dumb review! Why compare two incredibly different cars? I can say the 750 FELT much better in the turns, but if i had to commute on crappy highways and be stuck in city traffic there would be no other than the LS. I can say the LS is the camry of luxury cars. It does everything well, and will last forever. Might be short on passion, but what is passion anyways? I'll leave canyon carving to a miata.

My point is different tools for different jobs.

Oh BTW I love his reviews for how ridiculous they are. He said the GS300 was slow and loud. I think he also said (or someone from ttac) said the IS handled poorly. Right.

I enjoyed reading his remarks. Big deal, the LS wasn't enough fun to drive for him. Lexus cars don't tickle his fancy, and their is nothing wrong with that. He's partial to the driving characteristics of BMWs and Mercedes, that comes as a HUGE shock considering he's an automotive writer....right....

I think the issue comes from the lack of professionalism. Reveiwers should review things based upon their merits and how they suit the needs of their target market. His personal tastes shouldn't have anything to do with anything, otherwise it isn't a review its "whatever he thinks about something". Its an editorial.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys:

I just finished watching Autoline Detroit-their review for the North American Car of the Year, and many journalists are not completely satisfied with the LS. The Merc S-Class is being praised for it's effort and is on a lot of #1 lists.

It is possible that the LS won't make the cut in styling, performance, and handling.

Now Tony Swan from Car&Driver said it was similar to a Buick. Ouch! I don't agree with this, but based on some of these reviews and some of the comments made of other threads especially last gen LS owners, perhaps the 07 LS won't be the ultimate luxury vehicle. (please don't beat me up)

I would love to see a TRD or L-Sportline version of the LS with a better Suspension package, power choice, and a few other performance options. I think this would also help the manufacturer better understand the demands in the North American Market today. It seems to me is turning towards euro-tuned performance and styling market.

Any comments?

But again what matters is sales, and in that regard the 460 is off to a better start than any LS before it. The LS is just never going to be heralded as the "ultimate luxury sedan" by the automotive press because it doesn't have what they are looking for in a car. It has however always had what a lot of consumers have been looking for, hence why its always outsold every other vehicle that was in that C&D compero. That won't change with the 460.

I think its the automotive press that doesn't understand the demands of the north american consumer. They've constantly dogged Lexus, and every year its sales grow and continue to be #1 in the segment. I'd say they have a pretty good handle on what the consumer wants.

It's good to remember that automotive journalists don't buy these cars, or have to live with them, or suffer the depreciation that comes with them. They just drive them for a day or two and think themselves fully informed about the automotive experience.

I also find that those who go on about driving dynamics think that daily driving is like the driving shown in the car ads. It ain't, not by a long shot. We spend most of our time in traffic, slogging along with everyone else. Lexus cars - just about all of them - do that better than anything else I have ever known. On the highway, they ARE better than anything else. In the twisties, yep, maybe they are a bit slower than a BMW or a Merc. Then I just pull out my superior driving skills and beat the posers anyhow.

I want something that works. As designed, for long periods of time. I also want something that is beautifully built, and functional.

People who tell me Lexus are just Toyotas, get my standard response. "And your point is?" Stumps them. People who tell me they are boring get "Reliability is not boring. Your (fill in blank with Merc, Jag, whatever) must be very exciting". I use the same for the "character" thing.

I used to drive Volvos. Tough, less than reliable, big, comfortable. Don't drive them anymore. But at the height of my Volvo experience it seemed that every auto journalist trashed Volvos and loved Saabs. Saabs are factually one of the worst cars ever made. They break, they depreciate, they look funny. Journalists loved them. A twenty year old Saab is a rare find, twenty year old Volvos are common. Saab has to sell their cars with Saturn and Isuzu for crap's sake! Journalists know nothing.

I also find people telling me how reliable their new cars are, and my response is "Own it outside the warranty an tell me that again." Most people won't keep half of the crap foisted on the public outside the warranty period, because deep down, in their silent and dark place, they know full well that their cars are scary when it comes to repair costs and reliability. Just where do they think the twin turbo AMG Benzes will be in ten years? On the back lot of some fly by night used car lot, that's where. Ten year old Lexi will be at the Lexus dealer, confidently sold to other appreciative owners......

My best wishes for this season to all.

SRK

I couldn't have said it any better myself. To put even even more clearly, magazine editors aren't even the target demographic for these cars nor can most of them even afford to purchase them.

I think a great many people out there agree with this assessment of these cars vs their competiton, which is why Lexus has done so fantastically well in the short time its been here.

Extremely well put. We have a total of three Lexus's in our house. We firmly beleive in "RQV" (reliability, quality, value) irrespective of what the reviewers say. We have had our share of so called performance sedans. :censored:

Anxiously waiting since 1st of Nov for our LS 460L.