Just Purchased 96 Ls 400

GKLCPA

I'm new to the forum. I purchased a mint 1996 LS 400 with 36,000 miles on it about a month ago for

$ 14,000. The car is virtually brand new. I had a choice between this car and a 1999 with 85K miles, but decided to go with the 96 as the 90K maintenance interval is at least three years out from now.

The car rides perfectly except that I've noticed a sort of dead sound from the left side when going over bumps, can some one tell me what they think that might be?

I've previously owned Mercedes (190E), Volvo (740 turbo), BMW (535i) and a Maxima and this car beats them all. The BMW and Mercedes were money pits.

Power delivery and ride are absolutely awesome. I'm finding excuses to drive the car and I look forward to driving this car for many years to come

big choice going for the 96. Congratulations on your purchase. I find myself touching my 1998 LS in the middle of the night singing to her

Thanks. This car is simply a superb piece of machinery. I had the opportunity to drive a LS 460L yesterday and found that many of the features of my car remain a main stay in the newest version. I actually think that my car is slightly smoother in feel as the LS460 has a tighter almost racier sort of feel to it. The newer model is definitely very quick however.

Pound for pound, I just think these cars are just the best thing around and I can hardly wait to take a 1200 mile road excursion I've got planned for next week. I've had this car up to 90 mph and it does not even feel like one is going that fast; no vibrations, just smooth power delivery that makes you feel as if you're going 50 mph. My fuel mileage is better than my Maxima. I'm averaging about 21 mpg in combined highway and city driving.

You sound more obcesed than me. Soon your friends will start commenting on how abnormal your relationship is with your car.

Dont worry though I love my car its so smooth and quiet and if I could fit a 50 inch plasma in it id never leave

I am sure the Lexus EXecs if they read the comments made in this forum, they would be more than happy.

Basically Lexus took the best of a Lincoln and Cadillac and made it marry with a reliable, economical for its size V8 and great electronic and there you have the Lexus. It is a great success and they are building the reputation that Mercedes once upon a time it had.

C. PR

You sound more obcesed than me. Soon your friends will start commenting on how abnormal your relationship is with your car.

Dont worry though I love my car its so smooth and quiet and if I could fit a 50 inch plasma in it id never leave

Welcome to the 96 club! I've put 60k on mine and not one problem. You've got a gem with only 36k on the dash. Take care of it, keep it clean and maintenanced and you won't be disappointed. If I were you, I'd get all the fluids, plugs, and filters changed just in case. It hasn't been driven much and, if you don't have maintenance records, you may need some new blood in it. That thumping sound may also be because of the lack of driving. Let a dealer or shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus take a look at it. A lot of people on the site use independent service centers. Start a good relationship with one and you'll save yourself a lot of money! Good luck.

Welcome to the 96 club! I've put 60k on mine and not one problem. You've got a gem with only 36k on the dash. Take care of it, keep it clean and maintenanced and you won't be disappointed. If I were you, I'd get all the fluids, plugs, and filters changed just in case. It hasn't been driven much and, if you don't have maintenance records, you may need some new blood in it. That thumping sound may also be because of the lack of driving. Let a dealer or shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus take a look at it. A lot of people on the site use independent service centers. Start a good relationship with one and you'll save yourself a lot of money! Good luck.

Thanks and that's sage advice that I'll act on. There's an independent service center near my job and I think I'll take it by there during the next couple of weeks.

What do you guys think about the price I paid? I think it may be a bit on the high side when I look at TMV per Edmunds (about $ 9,300). Kelly Blue Book indicated a range of $12,000 to $14,000 for a 96. The dealer (non-lexus) wanted $ 16,000 initially.

My car is a New York City car that was driven an average of 3,000 miles a year. Apparently, the owner had a home in Florida and only used the car when he came North. I found it on the internet.

Thanks and that's sage advice that I'll act on. There's an independent service center near my job and I think I'll take it by there during the next couple of weeks.

What do you guys think about the price I paid? I think it may be a bit on the high side when I look at TMV per Edmunds (about $ 9,300). Kelly Blue Book indicated a range of $12,000 to $14,000 for a 96. The dealer (non-lexus) wanted $ 16,000 initially.

My car is a New York City car that was driven an average of 3,000 miles a year. Apparently, the owner had a home in Florida and only used the car when he came North. I found it on the internet.

I think thats a fair price for a great car. I paid 11,500 for a 95 ls400 with 67k miles so i think ur doin well considering the mileage. U will love this sight, its very helpful and also nice to know that others here have a great taste in cars ;)

I think thats a fair price for a great car. I paid 11,500 for a 95 ls400 with 67k miles so i think ur doin well considering the mileage. U will love this sight, its very helpful and also nice to know that others here have a great taste in cars ;)

It's good to know what you paid for your 1995 for comparison purposes here. Based on the low miles, I felt pretty okay on the price I paid, but you've just provided confirmation. Thanks.

This site is great and I've learned a lot just lurking here for the last month or so.