Tranny Problem

justin97

well i decided to drive the car today instead of my truck cause it was raining.

well about 1/2 hour in to it i pulled out at a red light, i wasnt giving it alot of gas but it held 1st till ~4500rpms and felt like it was spinning i was like damnit, i do remember a slight burning smellbut that could of been the old chevy in front of me. well later i got behind some slow people doing about 50 in a 65(rain had stopped and it was clearing up) i punched it and it just bounced off the rev limiter, um ok, so after some more driving it will no longer go into second and on my retrun trip the c/e light kicked on, so i need to see what code but have any clue why what or how my tranny droped or slipped or something to second, but the rest shift fine and it drives fine in the rest of the gears.

well about 1/2 hour in to it i pulled out at a red light, i wasnt giving it alot of gas but it held 1st till ~4500rpms and felt like it was spinning i was like damnit, i do remember a slight burning smellbut that could of been the old chevy in front of me. well later i got behind some slow people doing about 50 in a 65(rain had stopped and it was clearing up) i punched it and it just bounced off the rev limiter, um ok, so after some more driving it will no longer go into second and on my retrun trip the c/e light kicked on, so i need to see what code but have any clue why what or how my tranny droped or slipped or something to second, but the rest shift fine and it drives fine in the rest of the gears.

"...cause it was raining...."

Why would you switch from a nice solidly "planted", otherwise entirely predictable, RWD truck to a patently unsafe FWD car because it was raining? I guess I should give/cut you some slack, maybe you didn't want the to truck bed to fill with water...

Personally I would have put a few hundred pounds of sand in my truck bed and MOTOR ON.

Sounds as if you have little experience with FWD in the wet. The burning odor was most likely your own front tires slipping. Upgrade to one with VSC/Trac or give it back to your wife, she'll know how to drive it properly, non-aggressively in the wet.

As a general rule FWD, or front biased AWD, vehicles do not "try" to change directions with driven wheelslip/spin due to engine torque, making it somewhat hard to quickly detect/discern an over torque condition resulting in wheespin/slip. RWD, or rear biased AWD vehicles on the other hand, are somewhat famous for sudden chances in direction in this same circumstance. For instance your RWD, "light" !Removed!-end, truck would be especially quick to exhibit skidding or over-stearing in this circumsatnce.

Also remember that under-stearing is MUCH more common in FWD, or..., vehicles, whereas RWD, or..., are FAMOUSLY more likely to over-stear in the condition you encountered.

PS: I have concluded that your car does not have traction control since you indicate a CEL but do not mention the Trac fault light whichn is ALWAYS illuminated with CEL.

"...cause it was raining...."

Why would you switch from a nice solidly "planted", otherwise entirely predictable, RWD truck to a patently unsafe FWD car because it was raining? I guess I should give/cut you some slack, maybe you didn't want the to truck bed to fill with water...

Personally I would have put a few hundred pounds of sand in my truck bed and MOTOR ON.

Sounds as if you have little experience with FWD in the wet. The burning odor was most likely your own front tires slipping. Upgrade to one with VSC/Trac or give it back to your wife, she'll know how to drive it properly, non-aggressively in the wet.

As a general rule FWD, or front biased AWD, vehicles do not "try" to change directions with driven wheelslip/spin due to engine torque, making it somewhat hard to quickly detect/discern an over torque condition resulting in wheespin/slip. RWD, or rear biased AWD vehicles on the other hand, are somewhat famous for sudden chances in direction in this same circumstance. For instance your RWD, "light" !Removed!-end, truck would be especially quick to exhibit skidding or over-stearing in this circumsatnce.

Also remember that under-stearing is MUCH more common in FWD, or..., vehicles, whereas RWD, or..., are FAMOUSLY more likely to over-stear in the condition you encountered.

PS: I have concluded that your car does not have traction control since you indicate a CEL but do not mention the Trac fault light whichn is ALWAYS illuminated with CEL.

which would you rather take on a two hour drive a es300 or a reg cab tacoma,

i have had the car since 01 i know how to drive it in the rain

i normally over accelerate in both the truck and car. the truck likes to kick to the passingerside under over accelerating because of the trd lsd. and i will never own a car that has trac. or vsc. unless it can be turned off easliy, honestly i hate automatics.(but cant complain about a free car.

the smell was not tires,it honeslty smell like clutch( i know that smell all to well also)

that all of this is beside of the point. the car didnt spin it just revved up like it was, i know when thecar spin i have done that all to often also.

tomarrow i am taking it to get the code read.

update....

well the code was po0135 bank 1 sensor 1, os i have an o2 going bad, but that doesnt help my pproblem

well after some testing second will engauge if u drop it to "2" so i will work manually, so we have concluded that it was in fact the shift sleonid that is bad, but the only come in complete kits so at the tune of 225 + labor i can have my tranny fixed, and i am.

if this info doent sound correct please comment.

which would you rather take on a two hour drive a es300 or a reg cab tacoma,

i have had the car since 01 i know how to drive it in the rain

i normally over accelerate in both the truck and car. the truck likes to kick to the passingerside under over accelerating because of the trd lsd. and i will never own a car that has trac. or vsc. unless it can be turned off easliy, honestly i hate automatics.(but cant complain about a free car.

the smell was not tires,it honeslty smell like clutch( i know that smell all to well also)

that all of this is beside of the point. the car didnt spin it just revved up like it was, i know when thecar spin i have done that all to often also.

tomarrow i am taking it to get the code read.

"..Which would you rather take..."

Back when I was traveling I didn't mind if the car I rented was FWD unless it was during the winter months or severe weather.

Apparently you choose comfort over safety, I rarely do that, at least not knowingly.

But my question is...why do you consider the Camry to be more comfortable, especially in the "wet".

"....i normally over accelerate in both...."

Hmmm, a leadfoot, like me some of the time.

You do realize, do you not, that wheelspin/slip due to "over-acceleration" in a FWD is virtually undetectable vs the relative ease with which it is detectable in a RWD vehicle? If wheelspin/slip develops in any RWD, and your "light-assed" RWD truck will be especially prone to this, the rear end will quite quickly start trying to pass the front. Whereas with FWD the driver must rely mostly on the "sound" of wheelspin/slip in order to "know" too much engine torque is being applied for the current roadbed traction level/capability. That's why a traction control system is so much more important with a FWD vehicle vs RWD.

"...the car didnt spin it just revved up like it was, i know when thecar spin i have done that all to often also...."

The above statement seems to imply that you're saying that the "car" didn't spin....

Well said, well taken.

My POINT, exactly.

PS: What, exactly, is the tread condition of those front tires..??

"..Which would you rather take..."

Back when I was traveling I didn't mind if the car I rented was FWD unless it was during the winter months or severe weather.

Apparently you choose comfort over safety, I rarely do that, at least not knowingly.

But my question is...why do you consider the Camry to be more comfortable, especially in the "wet".

"....i normally over accelerate in both...."

Hmmm, a leadfoot, like me some of the time.

You do realize, do you not, that wheelspin/slip due to "over-acceleration" in a FWD is virtually undetectable vs the relative ease with which it is detectable in a RWD vehicle? If wheelspin/slip develops in any RWD, and your "light-assed" RWD truck will be especially prone to this, the rear end will quite quickly start trying to pass the front. Whereas with FWD the driver must rely mostly on the "sound" of wheelspin/slip in order to "know" too much engine torque is being applied for the current roadbed traction level/capability. That's why a traction control system is so much more important with a FWD vehicle vs RWD.

"...the car didnt spin it just revved up like it was, i know when the car spins, i have done that all to often also...."

The above statement seems to imply that you're saying that the "car" didn't spin....

Well said, well taken.

My POINT, exactly.

PS: What, exactly, is the tread condition of those front tires..??

hell, if u lived around here you would get to drive in the rain more days than the dry.

Camry hehe overpriced camry is what i call her.

spinning in the front wheel drive, is easy to detect, you just have to be use to the way the car rides. i could tell u everytime the car is about to break traction, u can feel is in the steering wheel and throttle, kinda like if i am slowly pushing the pedal down i can tell when the car is going to down shift everytime.

i was refering to that i think that is when the selonid crapped out cause it started to down shift and the kicked back up i guess in to first or something, i assoiated the free reving for spinning

my two front tires are about a month old and have about 95% tread and about 5000 miles or so on them maybe.

i hit a pot hole and put a knot on one so i replaced both. the rear are about a month older than the front.

hell i use my lexus as my beater car.

tranny_valve_cleaning.pdf

• 1 month later...