I Want To Use Seafoam.

OmarG

Ok so the other day i was at O'reily gettin some oil and i saw seafoam. I bought a can but havne't tried to use it yet because I'm afraid of

1)ruining my O2 sensors

2) doing something wrong!

I'm pretty sure I'm due for new sparks and wires, and due for an oil change too soo, does anybody have some pics of where I'm supposed to put 1/2 the seafoam on the first gen 4.0?

Also does anyone have some recomendation for sparks and wires? I know NGK's are good but which spark should i get?

Thanks!

Do a search in the using the older post first, you shall find many examples of the use, also look in the ES 300/50 forums. I have used it and it is great product, no problems with sparks or O2 Sensors.

CPR

Ok so the other day i was at O'reily gettin some oil and i saw seafoam. I bought a can but havne't tried to use it yet because I'm afraid of

1)ruining my O2 sensors

I'm pretty sure I'm due for new sparks and wires, and due for an oil change too soo, does anybody have some pics of where I'm supposed to put 1/2 the seafoam on the first gen 4.0?

Also does anyone have some recomendation for sparks and wires? I know NGK's are good but which spark should i get?

Thanks!

1)ruining my O2 sensors

If you want to send the seafoam through the intake, pull the vacuum line off of the brake booster, and it will suck the seafoam in--the car will immediately die. I was very unimpressed with the results--it smoked a lot, but that's about all it did besides messing my plugs up. However, it did work nicely in my oil.

I think your O2s will be ok. Whenever I ran Seafoam through my intake, the plugs needed to be replaced afterwards. I don't know how you can run it through the intake and have the spark plugs stay clean (I suppose if your car is brand new.). Get Lexus wires. I'm partial to Denso IK20 iridium plugs, but you will pay out the wazoo for 8 of them.

• 2 months later...

I have used the Seafoam trick on other cars with great results. Blake 918, I am thinking that maybe you didn't get enough in. You have to get the car to die from taking in so much. Then when you start it up it will smoke terrible so never do this indoors. (I hope this procedure casues global warming). But if done correctly it will clean-up your intake manifold. Or I think what you would call cleaning the throttle body. I was reading on the Nissan Maxima Forum, they all swear by it there.

Whatever do you think this stuff can possibly do to help a modern Lexus engine?

No need to use seafoam on a new or modern engine....Seafoam is very benificial for older engines to clean them up...It takes a few years to build up carbon deposits so no need on newer engines.......Takes just minutes to remove it with Seafoam...

I have used the Seafoam trick on other cars with great results. Blake 918, I am thinking that maybe you didn't get enough in. You have to get the car to die from taking in so much. Then when you start it up it will smoke terrible so never do this indoors. (I hope this procedure casues global warming). But if done correctly it will clean-up your intake manifold. Or I think what you would call cleaning the throttle body. I was reading on the Nissan Maxima Forum, they all swear by it there.
I am certain I did this correctly. After every repair I do and especially after ones like seafoam where I am unusually suspicious, I pose myself the question of: if someone were to come in here while I am sleeping do the job that I just did to the car, would I notice the difference? My answer for seafoam was 100% no. It puffed smoke for several minutes, but that made no improvement to the car whatsoever.

I did, however, notice a good difference in my oil when I ran it through there.

What did you notice in the oil?

JimA

Jim, after the seafoam, the oil was not nearly as black when it came time to change it. As I mentioned, I was skeptical, so you can see the before and after pictures that show the difference in post #25 in this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=30929&st=0

Dude, you have 287,000 miles on this car and seafoamed it for the first time and noticed nothing? I would say do several treatments...That EGR system surely built up some serious carbon deposits with that high mileage... If you didn't notice a mushroom cloud while seafoaming that means you did it wrong or need more treatments... You should disturb the neighbors, put it that way....

How can you tell it helped the oil out? Change the oil and the oil looks like new anyway...Don't understand how you can tell that seafoaming the oil helped?

It has been proven on older cars that seafoaming can bring you back lost horse power (10hp on some cars) and a smoother running motor....Maybe changing your plugs after seafoaming again will make a noticeable difference for you....

Dude, you have 287,000 miles on this car and seafoamed it for the first time and noticed nothing? I would say do several treatments...That EGR system surely built up some serious carbon deposits with that high mileage... If you didn't notice a mushroom cloud while seafoaming that means you did it wrong or need more treatments... You should disturb the neighbors, put it that way....
I've said it before, it puffed smoke like crazy. Unplugging the brake booster vacuum line and letting the car stall out on seafoam is not rocket science, so I think that we can move on from the notion that I incorrectly seafoamed the car. The smoke is all fine and good, but what good did it do? None. The car didn't run any smoother or seem peppier. It may work wonders on some cars, but it was a waste of time for me.
How can you tell it helped the oil out? Change the oil and the oil looks like new...Don't understand how you can tell seafoaming the oil helped?
Both of those pictures of the dipstick are of USED motor oil. Please read what I wrote in that post: the first shot is of M1 SS @ 5,000 miles, and the second shot is M1 SS @ 5,000 miles and post 8oz Seafoam in the crank case idling for 10min.
It has been proven on older cars seafoaming can bring you back lost horse power, smoother idle....Maybe changing your plugs after seafoaming again will make a noticeable difference....
Maybe it has worked wonders on some cars, but mine is not one of them. My plugs were changed after seafoaming, and still....the same car I've had all along.

Don't think of it as horsepower in a bottle...It is very possible you would not feel any changes after seafoaming...However, it is not a waste of time and money for you as you have removed alot of years of built up carbon which should allow your motor to last and run longer....It's now clean on the insides and that does make a difference whether you notice it or not.... Like I said before, try another Seafoaming session as you probably have tons of crap you will need to seafoam away....2 or 3 treatments maybe needed with close to 300,000 miles....WOW...

Basically what you are doing is removing a thin layer of carbon in your combustion chamber of each cylinder...In doing so you create a slightly larger combustion chamber...This allows for a slightly larger combustion to occure which inturn creates a little more power...Not much...Smoother engine operations internally..Etc... I am trying to explain this in simple terms.....It's a good thing to do...

What did you notice in the oil?

JimA

Jim, after the seafoam, the oil was not nearly as black when it came time to change it. As I mentioned, I was skeptical, so you can see the before and after pictures that show the difference in post #25 in this thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=30929&st=0

Blake,

that is a pretty remarkable difference in the oil. How much did you add and how long did you run it in the crankcase before changing?

JimA

I ran a pint of Seafoam with a tank of gas, and a .5 pint through the brake booster line. Changed the plugs (they were due to be changed regardless) and installed NGK Iridium IX plugs.

Even before I changed the plugs, I noticed lower, smoother idling and a more responsive throttle. After the plugs, performance jumped up another notch.

I did this to my 2000 LS400 Platinum Edition with 115,500 miles on it.

I will be using Seafoam in my crankcase just prior to my next oil change.

I think we can assume that the Seafoam is not going to work 100% of the time. Nothing is 100%!!! I am on my way to the auto part store to get some Seafoam. Where is the brake booster line on a 91 LS. I have 262K and this is my first time to do the Seafoam on this car.

I did my first (and only) Seafoam treatment on my 2000 LS400 at 115,500 miles. Do y'all think it needs done again? If so, right away or at what mileage?

dole, on my 2000 it's a black rubber hose about the thickness of my index finger. It attaches with a hose clamp just behind the brake master cylinder. Here's a link to some pics: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=34923

If you guys are running seafoam in with your oil, make sure you change the oil after a few hours of driving...Large carbon deposits are removed and float in with the oil which could cause damage to the motor and or clog small oil ports or lines.....DO NOT RUN for long periods of time....

Don't think of it as horsepower in a bottle...It is very possible you would not feel any changes after seafoaming...However, it is not a waste of time and money for you as you have removed alot of years of built up carbon which should allow your motor to last and run longer....It's now clean on the insides and that does make a difference whether you notice it or not.... Like I said before, try another Seafoaming session as you probably have tons of crap you will need to seafoam away....2 or 3 treatments maybe needed with close to 300,000 miles....WOW...
I'm aware that it's not hp (or miracle according to some) in a bottle, although on several forums it is described as such. My old car still performs according to factory specs, so I've got no desire to try and fix something that isn't broken.
Blake,

that is a pretty remarkable difference in the oil. How much did you add and how long did you run it in the crankcase before changing?

JimA

Jim, I put 8oz of seafoam in the oil, let it idle in the driveway for 10 minutes, drained the seafoam+oil, used 3 quarts of oil to flush all of the gunk out of there (I just kept pouring the oil until clean looking oil came out of the drain.), refilled with oil, and that is it.

Blake

It’s a good idea to change your plugs when doing this because all the crap that’s broken up in the combustion chamber can get on the plugs. Especially if there is a lot of smoke from the carbon break up you should change the plugs because they are probably fouled up from the debris.

dole, I poured a half can of Seafoam (8oz) into a clear plastic cup. While the engine was running, I disconnected the brake booster line from the end away from the engine and closed the end off with my thumb so the engine wouldn't die.

I shoved the end of the brake booster line into the cup of Seafoam. It sucked up the fluid like a vacuum cleaner. I then immediately shut the engine off and reconnected the line.

Let the engine sit for 10 minutes. Crank it up and keep the rpms up until all the smoke blows away.

When I changed my plugs later that day, they were pretty fouled and several were fairly wet.

I did the seafoam through the brake booster line last Sunday. This was my second time, first time was last spring about this time. I'm still on the original plugs, but I think this past time might of finally gotten them. There was a TON of smoke this past time, way more than the last time. I used about the same amount, but I think I let the stuff sit in there for a little longer than last time. I can tell the car is a bit pepier, but not by much. It stumbles a little under heavy acceleration, which I believe is due to the plugs. I put a can of seafoam in the gas tank last weekend as well, mixed it with a full fill up at the pump.

Blake, looks like you're plugs are going in this weekend amigo!