93 Es 300 Cv Boot Problem

Triciane

I purchased my ES300 in Nov 1993. I am new to this forum and have searched for information on CV boots. I've seen several posts about them, but I want to know if I should be concerned with recurring CV boot replacements as follows:

1st time: March 1997 23,569 miles Right front outer axle boot torn & leaking: Replaced both right front axel boots & repacked the CV joints. I paid $285.00 for this repair.

2nd time: August 1998 36,101 miles Left front CV boot split open & leaking grease: Replaced CV boot. This time I paid nothing as the then Service Mgr advised that this item was a warranty item covered under the 6 year/70,000 mile Powertrain warranty.

3rd time: August 2003 69,785 miles Left side boot torn: Removed axle & replaced CV boot. Right side CV boot torn & leaking grease: Remove & replace boots. This time they applied 1/2 of the cost as a Powertrain warranty item. They split the cost with me 50/50. I paid $245.00 for this repair.

4th time: November 2006 80,848 miles Left front CV boot torn & leaking grease: Remove & replace boots. This time I expressed my dissatisfaction with this series of CV boot issues, so they agreed to absorb the cost 100%.

Should I be concerned with the frequency of these occurences? Is this normal for these vehicles? Is it possible that there is some defect? Given the history, I'm concerned that this may happen again. Any guidance, suggestions, thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

triciane

You're just unlucky. CV boots are a normal wear item for any transaxle drivetrain. I will say that their wear is almost completely dependant on driving conditions, and weather.

Yeah, that's what the dealer says too. However, my driving habits are not extreme. I don't drive that much as you can see by the total miles driven since I bought my ES300. I don't drive on winding or hilly roads. The weather conditions are mild to moderate, no snow or inclement weather patterns. So, I guess I should expect to face this again since you say this considered normal wear & tear for these vehicles? Maybe so, but this CV boot repair history seems a little excessive to me. I know several people who have transaxle drivetrain vehicles and they have not encountered this type of problem.

You're just unlucky. CV boots are a normal wear item for any transaxle drivetrain. I will say that their wear is almost completely dependant on driving conditions, and weather.

Yeah, that's what the dealer says too. However, my driving habits are not extreme. I don't drive that much as you can see by the total miles driven since I bought my ES300. I don't drive on winding or hilly roads. The weather conditions are mild to moderate, no snow or inclement weather patterns. So, I guess I should expect to face this again since you say this considered normal wear & tear for these vehicles? Maybe so, but this CV boot repair history seems a little excessive to me. I know several people who have transaxle drivetrain vehicles and they have not encountered this type of problem.

FYI...

I also have a '93 ES300, I've had a problem with a torn CV boot exactly once. I replaced both outer boots even though only one was ripped (I figured that if one ripped, the other would soon follow, so I replaced the remaining one before I had to). I still have the original inner ones on the car. And I DO have a lot of inclement weather, cold and heat, snow and road salt here in Eastern Ontario Canada. My previous ES300 (a '92) never had a problem with the CV joints or boots as long as I had it.

I don't think your experience is typical of other ES300 owners, it does seem excessive to me too. My experience probably isn't typical either, though.

I'd say that you and I are on opposite ends of the "lucky" scale, that's all.

tck...