Tail Light Swapping

I was just wondering how difficult is it to swap tail lights between the different periods (92-94, 95-96, 97-00). I was particularly interested on the difficultly of switching a 92-94 with a 97-00 since the configuration is different for the brake lights.

Bosy, you seem quite taken with various body style charcteristics of the 1st gen SC. I noticed that earlier you posted for advice on swapping the front end of your late model SC for a 1st gen becuase you preferred its more rounded form factor. Sounds like you also might be considering swapping your tails to 1st gen too.

Can't say I blame you though. I prefer the 1st gen tails myself - mostly because of the larger-than-life yellow turn signal.

I've always preferred the original 1991 design of the SC, but several factors prevented me from buying a 92' model:

1) Fuel Economy/Emissions - The original 1992 design is rated at a horrible 18/22 MPG. My model, the 1998, is rated at 19/25. Also, while I love older cars, the CO2 and Smog emissions on them is repulsive. I'm a supporter of environmentalism. Yeah yeah, you may think I'm hypocritical since I own an SC400, not exactly the most fuel efficient car out there, but I only drive it on weekends (amounting to about 2500-3000 miles per year). I regularly drive a Toyota Corolla.

2) Mileage - I bought my SC400 with the intention of keeping it a long time (and driving it too). I would love to drive it to auto shows 20 years from now and show them the marvel of 1990s design. The problem with buying a 92' model is the almost impossibility of finding something under 100k. I bought my car last year at 62k. The only way I could have bought a 92 with comparible mileage would be to have it shipped from California, Texas, or Florida. No one drives the SC300/400 here in the New England.

3) Acceleration - Well when you want to show off what the 1st gen SC series was capable of, the 98-00 models are the best. 290HP, 300 Torque, 0-60 in just 6.3 seconds. The originals make 0-60 in about 7.0 seconds. When you got some Ford F150 redneck or some crazy tailgating Honda Odessey soccermom behind you, burning them in everyway possible is always fun on Route 9 (local state highway here in Eastern Mass).

I have a 94 and I swapped the newer 97+ taillights in. I had to slightly drill one hole slightly larger for the taillights to fit properly. To eliminate the tail light failure sensor from coming on, but still function properly is to replace the tail light failure sensor with the 97+ tail light failure sensor and the light should disappear.

I've always preferred the original 1991 design of the SC, but several factors prevented me from buying a 92' model:

1) Fuel Economy/Emissions - The original 1992 design is rated at a horrible 18/22 MPG. My model, the 1998, is rated at 19/25.

Surprisingly, I'm getting a consistant 21.5 to 22.5 mpg driving my '93 about 70%-highway & 30%-city. And, yeah, it is next to impossible finding a '92-'94 with <100k mi on it. I got mine with only 88k, but that was two years ago. I intend on getting at least 400k out of it.