Rear Running Light Bulb Blown

super50

99 LX470 Rear running lights - I cannot figure out how to change the bulb - It is in the door that opens and flips down. The light does come on with the brakes though. Should I try to remove the inner fabric cover? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

99 LX470 Rear running lights - I cannot figure out how to change the bulb - It is in the door that opens and flips down. The light does come on with the brakes though. Should I try to remove the inner fabric cover? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

There's no screw to open it? Consult with your dealer first. Usually they'll tell you how to open it.

Which light is it? the tail light on the OUTER left side or the INNER left side? Is it on the tailgate or on the body? If its on the tailgate, open the tailgate. Then slowly, and carefully wedge a screw driver(door panel puller is the proper tool but i dont know if you have one) and start to pry off each clip that holds the carpeted panel on. Be careful as this panel is made out of freaking cardboard pretty much and the clips will rip right out if you arent careful.

Once you have fully removed the whole carpeting, there are two panels inside on each side of the tailgate. Each is held on by 3 philips head screws. remove the screws and pull the panel off, revealing the bulb housing and sockets. The bulb closer to the inside of the vehicle is the one you want to replace, the one closer to you is the reverse light.

OR

If the bulb that is blown is on the outside, open the tailgate. Then look near the OUTER tailight housing but on the inside of the tailgate door jam, you will see two torex/flathead screws. Take those two out and then push on the tailight where it flushs up against the tailgate. Push it out...basicly at a 90* angle of the length of the car. Two little pressure clips should pop off and you can get at the bulb.

The bulb you need to replace is a 7443 bulb, found at your local auto parts store, maybe even gas station.

enjoy.

Thanks a lot! I was able to switch out the blown bulb. You were right about the cardboard being fragile...

Which light is it? the tail light on the OUTER left side or the INNER left side? Is it on the tailgate or on the body? If its on the tailgate, open the tailgate. Then slowly, and carefully wedge a screw driver(door panel puller is the proper tool but i dont know if you have one) and start to pry off each clip that holds the carpeted panel on. Be careful as this panel is made out of freaking cardboard pretty much and the clips will rip right out if you arent careful.

Once you have fully removed the whole carpeting, there are two panels inside on each side of the tailgate. Each is held on by 3 philips head screws. remove the screws and pull the panel off, revealing the bulb housing and sockets. The bulb closer to the inside of the vehicle is the one you want to replace, the one closer to you is the reverse light.

OR

If the bulb that is blown is on the outside, open the tailgate. Then look near the OUTER tailight housing but on the inside of the tailgate door jam, you will see two torex/flathead screws. Take those two out and then push on the tailight where it flushs up against the tailgate. Push it out...basicly at a 90* angle of the length of the car. Two little pressure clips should pop off and you can get at the bulb.

The bulb you need to replace is a 7443 bulb, found at your local auto parts store, maybe even gas station.

enjoy.

• 1 month later...