Oil Sludge

denslexusgx470

Even though I do not own my RX300 anymore, I just received a letter in the mail (them asking) if I want to participate in a class action lawsuit against Lexus and Toyota on models that have the possible oil sludge. It includes, not only RX300s, but ES300s (01s and there abouts) solaras, camrys, and avalons.

Though I might let you guys have a heads up for those who own an RX300. :geek: I never expected that there would be a lawsuit against the oil sludge that Lexus/Toyota has already disclosed to its customers! :wacko:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I might let you guys have a heads up for those who own an RX300. :geek: I never expected that there would be a lawsuit against the oil sludge that Lexus/Toyota has already disclosed to its customers! :wacko:

I don’t think that disclosure eliminates liability for actionable issues, does it? Also, in this case it might be relatively easy to show by examining some engines that harm was done by sludge accumulation, even though the engine didn’t totally seize or fail, which shortens overall engine life. I’m not taking sides here, so far my car seems ok, but with this potential issue I am not really sure how it’ll be long term and the last time I saw post somewhere on replacing engines, they aren’t cheap.

Though I might let you guys have a heads up for those who own an RX300.:geek: I never expected that there would be a lawsuit against the oil sludge that Lexus/Toyota has already disclosed to its customers! :wacko:

I don’t think that disclosure eliminates liability for actionable issues, does it? Also, in this case it might be relatively easy to show by examining some engines that harm was done by sludge accumulation, even though the engine didn’t totally seize or fail, which shortens overall engine life. I’m not taking sides here, so far my car seems ok, but with this potential issue I am not really sure how it’ll be long term and the last time I saw post somewhere on replacing engines, they aren’t cheap.

I guess if we were to "win" this class action lawsuit we'd be entitled to a coupon worth 10% off our next oil change (which costs $60 at a dealership). The class action lawyers, on the other hand, would collect millions in cash - not coupons.

So true! about lawyers making $$$ on any class action suits. I have not received my letter maybe because I'm not an original owner I just don't know. My dad received a letter for his Honda Oddysey something about transmission problems, wow what a coincidence.

Can someone please explain this sludge problem to me on 2001 RX300. I just owned mine for less than a year. Is there something for me to worry about or is there something I can do to prolong life of my vehicle. If any of you have any tips for me please share them with me. Thank you.

So true! about lawyers making $$$ on any class action suits. I have not received my letter maybe because I'm not an original owner I just don't know. My dad received a letter for his Honda Oddysey something about transmission problems, wow what a coincidence.

Can someone please explain this sludge problem to me on 2001 RX300. I just owned mine for less than a year. Is there something for me to worry about or is there something I can do to prolong life of my vehicle. If any of you have any tips for me please share them with me. Thank you.

Pleae don't take this as gospel but I believe the sludge issue was also one that effected primarily 99-00 models. These engines all run pretty hot and if you didn't do a frequent oil-change and used dino-oil you'd likely develop a sludge problem. In any case if you use synthetic oil you should be protected from the sludging problem. The problem is pretty well documented and affected several Toyota models. you should easily be able to find info on the web.

As was mentioned earlier, these lawsuits rarely benefit the consumer. I just got one from Verizon offering me a $15 credit. The problem for me is that I no longer have service through Verizon so the only way to benefit would be to open a new account. No thanks.

I think I did get a $50 savings bond from a Mitsubishi lawsuit. Of course I had to wait for it to actually be worth $50.

I use sythetic blend and I change it every 3 months or 3k miles. I wonder if I do flushes before draining oil if that's going to help. I used to do that for my Catera since it had some weird problem with coolent leaking into oil. I was just expecting a much superior product from Lexus based on all the reviews. My brothers are very happy with their Avalons from 00, 02 and 05 now no problems with anything at all.

Also I'm seeing something about transmission problems should I be worried about that or not? Mine is 2001 RX300 2WD 45k. Is my model affected by this issue or not? If anyone knows please fill me in on that one. Thanks guys.

Even though I do not own my RX300 anymore, I just received a letter in the mail (them asking) if I want to participate in a class action lawsuit against Lexus and Toyota on models that have the possible oil sludge. It includes, not only RX300s, but ES300s (01s and there abouts) solaras, camrys, and avalons.

Maybe this makes a good case for using synthetic oil with high ester content such as Redline or Amsoil. Had to say both so I'm not accused of representing either. I do think a relatively high ester content with the natural detergency certainly will benefit these engines with possible sludge problems. I'm going to the high POE content myself on the next change. :cheers:

If one reads the letter carefully, there is only 120 days of additional time to make claim on top of the 8 year unlimited miles sluge warranty.

I am not sure about anyone else, but 4 more month of grace time to make claim is a joke and a cheap way to buy off owners' rights. I will opt-out the class by sending the law firm a written signed letter.

My $0.02: this case benefit lawyers (fee $) and Toyota (small amount of $ to buy off owners' rights for substantial benefits).

120 days (can someone correct me if I am wrong) is an insult to our intelligence.

I use sythetic blend and I change it every 3 months or 3k miles. I wonder if I do flushes before draining oil if that's going to help. I used to do that for my Catera since it had some weird problem with coolent leaking into oil. I was just expecting a much superior product from Lexus based on all the reviews. My brothers are very happy with their Avalons from 00, 02 and 05 now no problems with anything at all.

Also I'm seeing something about transmission problems should I be worried about that or not? Mine is 2001 RX300 2WD 45k. Is my model affected by this issue or not? If anyone knows please fill me in on that one. Thanks guys.

I use the same interval for oil in my lexus and its been great with the synthetic blend. the sludge problem was caused by a bad motor design that super heated the oil in narrow passage ways at the top of the engine and then cooled it too fast as it went into the oil pan. most likely a dealer can tell you when those motors were redesigned. we have one club member who had the dealer open the engine and inspect for sludge at their expense, he was clean as a whistle and posted the pics online.

If one reads the letter carefully, there is only 120 days of additional coverage on top of the 8 year unlimited miles sluge warranty.

I am not sure about anyone else, but 4 more month of coverage is a joke and a cheap way to buy off owners' rights. I will opt-out the class by sending the law firm a written signed letter.

My $0.02: this case benefit lawyers (fee $) and Toyota (small amount of $ to buy off owners' rights for substantial benefits).

120 days (can someone correct me if I am wrong) is an insult to our intelligence.

I didn't quite read the letter, and missed that. So IMHO that isn't really worth it then. But in other hand, I never knew there was a 8yr/unlimited mileage sludge warranty. Did this come out just recently or was it always been out for a long time? :huh:

If one reads the letter carefully, there is only 120 days of additional coverage on top of the 8 year unlimited miles sluge warranty.

I am not sure about anyone else, but 4 more month of coverage is a joke and a cheap way to buy off owners' rights. I will opt-out the class by sending the law firm a written signed letter.

I didn't quite read the letter, and missed that. So IMHO that isn't really worth it then. But in other hand, I never knew there was a 8yr/unlimited mileage sludge warranty. Did this come out just recently or was it always been out for a long time? :huh:

The sludge warranty is only for 1mz-fe based models. According to your signature, you may not own one of the affected models.

Actually another class action law suit covers your Ody transmission, it also calls for 9 months/ 9000 miles warranty on top of Honda/Acura's 8 years 100K mile warranty.

Since I own an Acura TL that is under the same Honda tranny problem, I got two letters on the same day, one for my RX, one for the TL. It is pretty clear to me that lawyers are on a fishing trip

1) Identify automakers that have officially issued extended warranty due to engine/tranny design defects.

2) Pick ridiculous tiny extension so automakers can pay little cost but generate enough PR to potentially smear Toyota/Honda's reputation.

3) Settle out of courts to sell owners's rights, which could land for longer and real benefits.

4) pocket legal fees

Seems to me that is win for lawyers, win for Toyota/Honda, and no substantial benefits for owners. Unlike others, I have no problem with lawyers making $, but not at the expense of owners.

Here is instruction to opt-out, provided by http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/detailed_notice.pdf

post-13204-1162952890_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I have owned a Lexus since 2002 and have never been informed about this until now. Looking thru internet see the WSJ wrote about it in 2004 before I had a Major Tune Up at a Lexus dealership (so, I assume the dealerships knew to look for this) and they gave the vehicle a clean bill of health - I have all my service records since then and now they are denying it covered under Class Action extended Warranty b/c I do not have all my service records from the 2 previous years - I have owned quite a few Toyotas and this service I am getting from Lexus now is very surprising and disturbing - they are treating me very flippant manner -just trying to get me out the door with my Sludge filled engine in tow

Funny I should find this thread today. I posted yesterday about having my transmission replaced on Monday in my 2000 RX300 (87k), and the oil pressure light coming on while driving home from the dealer. It was towed to Lexus this morning and the diagnosis came back that the engine now needs to be replaced because of oil sludge.

If I could provide oil change receipts for the last two years (which is how long we've owned it), Lexus would cover the cost of the new engine. So I produced the receipts. Finding this thread now makes everything they told us make sense. They never mentioned there were previous problems, just the part about receipts. We'll still be out $600-$1000 for other parts they will replace that would have been part of a 90k checkup. Things like the water pump, timing belt, some gaskets, fluids and a list that's about 20 items longer.

What a whirlwind couple of days this has been for us. You guys have been very insightful.

Thanks!

Suzan

Funny I should find this thread today. I posted yesterday about having my transmission replaced on Monday in my 2000 RX300 (87k), and the oil pressure light coming on while driving home from the dealer. It was towed to Lexus this morning and the diagnosis came back that the engine now needs to be replaced because of oil sludge.

. . .

Suzan

See if they are providing the 2003 engine that presumably has the fix for the issue causing the sludge buildup as that year is not included in the class action suit.

I found the sludge problem when changing the oil and I saw the black tar when I took the oil cap off. It was not a pretty site and very dispapinted to see a Lexus car has built this issue. I could literally scrape the stuff. This car was previously maintained at the dealer with 5K services. I went to the Toyota dealer to get the oil and they recommended the BG product called MOA-110 (http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html).

The service man says he adds the stuff to his Corolla engine on every oil change. He also said to change the oil every 3000 miles. This fact that Toyota recommends changing the oil every 5 of 7.5K is probably the problem. I am going back to changing the oil every 3000 miles until the sludge disappears. I want to use Synthetic but I'll use Toyota motor oil and keep the purchse records in case it is needed.

I found the sludge problem when changing the oil and I saw the black tar when I took the oil cap off. It was not a pretty site and very dispapinted to see a Lexus car has built this issue. I could literally scrape the stuff. This car was previously maintained at the dealer with 5K services. I went to the Toyota dealer to get the oil and they recommended the BG product called MOA-110 (http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html).

The service man says he adds the stuff to his Corolla engine on every oil change. He also said to change the oil every 3000 miles. This fact that Toyota recommends changing the oil every 5 of 7.5K is probably the problem. I am going back to changing the oil every 3000 miles until the sludge disappears. I want to use Synthetic but I'll use Toyota motor oil and keep the purchse records in case it is needed.

Am I missing something here? Being that Lexus extended the warranty for sludge, why are you messing around with it hoping that you can clean it up? You mention the car was maintained at the dealer with 5k services, so there are records of oil changes. Why not let Lexus take care of it? You may even get a new engine out of it. I don't think purchase records of Toyota oil are going to do much for you in the future.

See if they are providing the 2003 engine that presumably has the fix for the issue causing the sludge buildup as that year is not included in the class action suit.

I haven't had a chance to check back regularly so I missed this post. They are still working on replacing the engine so I'll be sure and ask tomorrow. The rep is to call with our list of cost for the "incidentials".

Suzan

If I could provide oil change receipts for the last two years (which is how long we've owned it), Lexus would cover the cost of the new engine. So I produced the receipts. Finding this thread now makes everything they told us make sense. They never mentioned there were previous problems, just the part about receipts. We'll still be out $600-$1000 for other parts they will replace that would have been part of a 90k checkup. Things like the water pump, timing belt, some gaskets, fluids and a list that's about 20 items longer.

What a whirlwind couple of days this has been for us. You guys have been very insightful.

Thanks!

Suzan

I too received a letter from www.oilgelsettlement.com. and I plan to opt out of this lawyers dragnet. I own a 2000 Lexus RX 300 as well as a 1999 Toyota Avalon - both have the same vintage V6 engine and both now have mileage over 100K. The Avalon (160K miles) developed oil sludge and blue smoke around 80K miles and after some denial at the dealership (where I bought it new) Toyota paid for some engine repairs - a piston, rings and some other stuff. I had been using dino oil up to that point and changed it according to recommendations. After the oil gel thing, with strong recommendations from my racing enthusiast son, I immediately switched to synthetic oil and have had no problems since (knock on wood) with oil. IMHO the comment earlier in this thread about the motor design is probably true. There sure do seem to have been an inordanite amount of oil sludge failures in this motor. Coincidence? I doubt it - especially in this age of amazing life from vehicles. And Toyota (and other Japanese manufacturers) are largely to credit for the improvements. They designed a motor prone to this problem and seem to be standing behind their product. So far I am a believer in synthetic oil.

And the saga continues. I picked up the car today - well I tried to anyway. The engine is new, the transmission is new - the check engine light is on and I have not even left the dealers lot!

They hooked it up to the computer and according to the service manager "it's throwing a lot of codes". So, I'm back in a loaner car (which is not a bad deal a 2006 IS250 - Matador Red ;) ) and they are telling me Monday they'll have a diagnosis.

He (the service manager) also set me up to not be surprised if it turns out to be something out of pocket for me! What?? If the oil sludge is traveling and clogging parts that were not replaced seems to me it should all be covered.

We'll wait until Monday, get the diagnosis and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

So....what happened?

They have finally agreed to fix mine - but I have read that repair at high mileage does not last that it should be replaced...but not sure they are obligated to do that...although they should have recalled all these engines as it is why owners have paid the high prices on these autos - because they would last so long, now they are probably having a domino affect on other parts, by, as you say, traveling and clogging up other parts!

Interested to find out about yours...my codes say Air Mass filter 2x w/in 14 months and a charcoal cannister...

So....what happened?

They have finally agreed to fix mine - but I have read that repair at high mileage does not last that it should be replaced...but not sure they are obligated to do that...although they should have recalled all these engines as it is why owners have paid the high prices on these autos - because they would last so long, now they are probably having a domino affect on other parts, by, as you say, traveling and clogging up other parts!

Interested to find out about yours...my codes say Air Mass filter 2x w/in 14 months and a charcoal cannister...

I took my Lexus in and they wanted $105 to look at i for the oil gel problem.

And the settlement isnt that bad. In fact it is pretty good. If you had the problem and fixed it, you can get reimbursed. If you have the problem, they will fix it for you.

(Now after saying that I have asked the attorneys why the inspection fee wasnt mentioned in the settlement.)

I took my Lexus in and they wanted $105 to look at i for the oil gel problem.

And the settlement isnt that bad. In fact it is pretty good. If you had the problem and fixed it, you can get reimbursed. If you have the problem, they will fix it for you.

(Now after saying that I have asked the attorneys why the inspection fee wasnt mentioned in the settlement.)

They did not charge me for the inspection...I find it hard to believe they can...

anyway not fixed yet and the settlement isn't actually the extended warranty - that was already in place...not really sure what the settlement does except for keeping Toyota upfront about the extended warranty and making them notify us...not sure I have any rights after this year if I have a reaccurrance of sludge or related sludge problems. (no warranty on sludge repair from what I can tell)

not really sure what the settlement does except for keeping Toyota upfront about the extended warranty and making them notify us...

The "settlement" is the coupon attached to the bottom of the letter. The letter itself is issued in order for the attorneys to get their fee reimbursement. If you "opt out" of the settlement you're not entitled to put the coupon in your glove compartment as a reminder of the warranty that Toyota already gives you. By the way, the attorney fees are $1.95 million plus $50K each for the "class representatives" of which, I believe, there were two.

At the beginning of this program, Toyota did provide a remanufactured engine if yours was sludged up. Unless you have other issues, they now try to clean the cylinger head area of your existing engine and put it back together.

You can't tell if you have sludge by looking into the oil fill hole. There's a baffle inside preventing you from seeing the cylinder head. You have to remove the valve covers to do an inspection (which is why they try to charge the customer for the work). No engine that has had regular oil changes (5,000-7,500 miles) will have sludge. Toyota isn't the only manufacturer that has sludge issues with its engines. Audi, Chrysler, VW and Saab have all had problem engines.