Hks Exhaust

My local Lexus dealer now has available the new HKS exhaust for the IS. It is veeeeerrrryyyy nice! I was told gains are between 12 and 18 HP. The service rep said it lowers the exhaust tone to sound more beefy and definitely frees up the breathing. The catalytic converter isn't touched so the dual exhaust is from the resonator back. I am concerned about the increase in cabin noise, so I'm not sure if the HP gain will be worth the increase in noise. I have the 350 so it's got plenty of pop already, but you can never have to much right?

Any feed back about after market exhaust is welcome!!! :D

My local Lexus dealer now has available the new HKS exhaust for the IS. It is veeeeerrrryyyy nice! I was told gains are between 12 and 18 HP. The service rep said it lowers the exhaust tone to sound more beefy and definitely frees up the breathing. The catalytic converter isn't touched so the dual exhaust is from the resonator back. I am concerned about the increase in cabin noise, so I'm not sure if the HP gain will be worth the increase in noise. I have the 350 so it's got plenty of pop already, but you can never have to much right?

If you don't want more cabin noise you probably won't like it.

I would get it if it sounds like the Nissan 350Z or the G35 coupe.

I would get it if it sounds like the Nissan 350Z or the G35 coupe.

I was told it would be deeper in tone. I'm still debating.

1. HP gains are very hard to document - same dyno, same day, same gas, same temp, back-to-back readings with/without.

2. The "butt dyno" can barely detect 12-18 HP.

3. Some exhaust systems have annnoying resonance in the cabin at mid range rpm.

4. Try to listen to one before you buy.

Since most aftermarket exhausts make more noise than power, and if you want a quiet car, I see no reason to change from stock. Aftermarket exhaust can be other problems too, like leaks, hangers, fitment, etc. Sooner or later there will be problems. Unless you are planning to race and are trying to squeeze out all the power you can, you'd be better off keeping the money or spending on something else.

• 4 months later...

I just had the HKS exhaust installed by my Lexus dealership on Thursday. First off... it looks frickin' awesome! Second... I will admit the different exhaust note does take a bit to get used to, but it a great sound that doesn't sacrifice the quiet sound-level in normal driving. If you drive around under 2500 rpm's... the car sounds pretty much the same. But, if you get into it and the revs go above 2500 rpm's... you get a great aggressive but smooth low V-6 exhaust note. As for hp gains? I didn't buy it for additional hp... so I can't answer that question. I would guess between 5 and 10 hp.

The exhaust is pricey, but it is definitely a great mod!

And best of all... it's covered under the regulary warranty since it was purchased and installed by the dealership.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had the HKS exhaust installed by my Lexus dealership on Thursday. First off... it looks frickin' awesome! Second... I will admit the different exhaust note does take a bit to get used to, but it a great sound that doesn't sacrifice the quiet sound-level in normal driving. If you drive around under 2500 rpm's... the car sounds pretty much the same. But, if you get into it and the revs go above 2500 rpm's... you get a great aggressive but smooth low V-6 exhaust note. As for hp gains? I didn't buy it for additional hp... so I can't answer that question. I would guess between 5 and 10 hp.

The exhaust is pricey, but it is definitely a great mod!

And best of all... it's covered under the regulary warranty since it was purchased and installed by the dealership.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I had mine installed about a month ago for the exact some reasons... better exhaust note and better looking tail pipes. I have also had the exact same experience with the exhaust note/interior noise. Under normal driving (i.e. under 2,500 rpms - cruising on the interstate) it does not increase the interior noise level at all. And, you gotta love the regular warranty coverage it's pretty great too!