2006 Gs 430 Accident

On Sept 14 I had an accident with major front end damage. The insurance company is spending over $25,000.00 to repair the car. The frame is not damaged, but the railings will have to be replaced. How much money will I lose from the realse of my vehicle?

Well, you need to file a diminished value claim if you are a claimant. If you are an insured, you may not be able to file a claim (at least that is how it works in Texas). And you definitely DO have frame damage: that is what the rails that are being replaced are, and why the engine had to be removed. That is the unibody frame, and the only way to access and replace the rails is to pull the motor.

Are you comfortable with the repair shop? Diminshed value in a situation like that could be $5-$10K I would imagine. I'm no expert, but a friend had a $6500 repair, and the insurance was offering her $2700 diminished value on her 2004 ES330.

I hope you are at a good repair shop, one that does this type of repair regularly. Good luck!!!

IMHO, if a $50,000.00 +/- car needs $25,000.00 of repairs, the car is shot. Of course, insurance companies make a decision to repair based on a percentage of cost verses undamaged value.

In the real world, there are very few shops that I have ever seen that could do this large of a job properly. Even if one could do fairly good work, I'd be trading that baby post-haste on the day it was done. The amount of cutting and welding in your case is most likely fairly large. The rustproofing and painting, if not absolutely perfect, will not prevent future corrosion like the factory applied products do. Large, multiple panel repairs are often not perfect, sometimes much worse, even when done at very reputable shops.

Just for your own peace of mind, take the car to another dealer when it's finished. Act dumb, tell them you just don't like the color. See what they'll give you on a trade. If you get lucky and are offered a reasonable price, make a decision. If the dealer tells you that the car isn't worth as much because he finds the evidence of the damage, tell your insurance company how much the difference is. Remember, don't sign the check until you're satisfied. In one way or another, the car will never be the same.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i just crashed my 06 gs 430 saturday night. i was drunk, a friend was driving. he punched it on a downhill turn, the car started to drift. he countersteered turning the wheel to the right. mid-drift, the traction kicked in i guess, the wheels stopped burning and the car regained control. but the idiot neglected to correct the wheel. so the front right rim slammed into the curb. THE WHOLE *BLEEP*ING WHEEL BROKE OFF. the car then skidded to the opposite side of the road, left rim hit the curb, also broke off. stay tuned for pics and stuff.

im incredibly depressed.