Timing Belt In A 1993 Gs300

Can anyone tell me what did I do wrong when changing timing belt. I was very careful to keep timing marks inplace. The TDC mark in the crankshaft pulley is at 0 degress while the marks in the camshafts both are at their mark. I loosened the distributor to see if the rough idle would change but there is little change going either way. What am I doing Thanks :(

Hey there...I can tell you that a t-belt in a GS300 is a quite a job even for a lexus tech....i am thinking that you may be a tooth or two off on the belt...is the check engine light on? Try setting the timing again and reinstalling the belt, lining up the marks on the new belt with the marks on the pulleys. Turn the motor over by hand a few revolutions and look at the timing on the pulleys again(the marks on the belt will not be in the same spot). Good luck..

• 3 weeks later...

I am rebulding my 1994 GS300 head after doing the head gasket and sorting out some tuning

I have refitted the belt with the TDC on the crank pulley at 0, same as manny

I remember from taking the belt off to take off the cams that I had the two top pulleys set with a small "0" on one of the 5 spokes facing upwards

Least that is what I remember, but memory does play tricks sometimes

Can anyone confirm the relationship of cam marks to pulley marks, and am I using the correct mark to set the belt to pulley correctly

any help appreciated

EM_23_Timing_Belt_Installation.pdf

I am rebulding my 1994 GS300 head after doing the head gasket and sorting out some tuning

I have refitted the belt with the TDC on the crank pulley at 0, same as manny

I remember from taking the belt off to take off the cams that I had the two top pulleys set with a small "0" on one of the 5 spokes facing upwards

Least that is what I remember, but memory does play tricks sometimes

Can anyone confirm the relationship of cam marks to pulley marks, and am I using the correct mark to set the belt to pulley correctly

any help appreciated

There are removal and installation marks and it sounds like you did it right and I'm sure you have this guide but I'll attach it anyway. The most important step after setting the marks is to spin the engine twice to make sure your marks line up again. If it spins and stops then your not lined up, valves are coming in contact with the pistons and if you try and start it...well you know... :o The teeth on the cams and the belt are wide enough that if your are off a tooth, your marks will be off, make sure the timing cover your lining them up with is right also

Manny, as far as a rough idle, did you separate or mess with the VVT-i pulley? That will cause your timing to be off and it will throw a code--usually p1349--are you getting any codes as LMT asked? Rare to have a rough idle and no code...let us know

Thanks Darryl

That was a great help and I think my mind is happy again

The only difference is the inlet pully on this one is a VV one ? mine is an early GS and same as the exhaust version in that it is 5 spoke

Spun the engine manually 5 times and it all lined up again and again so looks like a starter today :cheers:

Update on my head gasket change

set the top pulleys with the marks at the dead top

set the crank on "0"

rotated the engine 3 times and they were still spot on (yippeeee)

So I boxed it all back up, and checked everything three times to make sure nothing left hanging around

turned on ignition and it started in literally half a second, all seems absolutely great,

apart from one thing

the throttle body is so easy to do, and now i have done it twice you can get the throttle body on and off in less than an hour no problem, vacuum hoses simply line up

now at the back of the engine on the right hand side is a lovely collection of vacuum hoses, and i have no hoses left over, and i have an open pipe, it was open when i dismantled it, i thought i would find the hose dangling or something when i stripped the manifolds, but no hose and i cant find anywhere it may even connect to

please does anyone have a list or a diagram of how these vacuum hoses connect

Cornwall, can you get to that pipe while the engine is running, if so what happens if you cover it, ie put your finger on it? Is it an inlet port, does the idle change? what happens...if it changes the idle, chances are you have a situation, I'm not familiar with the 1st gen motors...good luck...D

Cornwall, can you get to that pipe while the engine is running, if so what happens if you cover it, ie put your finger on it? Is it an inlet port, does the idle change? what happens...if it changes the idle, chances are you have a situation, I'm not familiar with the 1st gen motors...good luck...D

HI Daryl

I found it thanks to a manual I downloaded from a site in USA, and it even does right hand (brit side) drive

It is a really good manual and soon tracked the little thing down, it was hiding under another pipe I couldn't see

just a bit of a shame I didnt find it before I changed the head gasket, as it would have helped quite a bit

• 10 months later...

HI Daryl

I found it thanks to a manual I downloaded from a site in USA, and it even does right hand (brit side) drive

It is a really good manual and soon tracked the little thing down, it was hiding under another pipe I couldn't see

just a bit of a shame I didnt find it before I changed the head gasket, as it would have helped quite a bit

Hey where did you find the "really good manual" I need one???