O2 Sensor Broken

lbarbish

I have a 1991 LS 400 with 212,000 miles on it. Getting the timing belt and the power steering pump done. (I already got the alternator replaced due to the leak). They say I hit the bottom of the car and crushed the protector over one of the oxygen sensors. The protector clipped the wires off of it. They can't believe the car still runs (and it runs as well as it ever did) but they want too much to fix it in my opinion. What do you think?

Hello: Unless the wires are in bad shape go to Radio Shack get some splices and put each wire where they correspond and you should have no problem, providing the sensor is intact. Disconnet negative power from the car before attempting to fix it. And fix it as long as the cables are color coded like a blue a white a black etc and match them by their colors if not that the case then do not. And do not forget to cover with tape all wires, so none of them is exposed and causes a short in the system, that should be done even if no attempt to splice the wires is done. A short from the ones that are not attached to the senor, the ones in the car harness could damage your computer. Are you getting a check engine light with the issue at hand?

C. PR

I have a 1991 LS 400 with 212,000 miles on it. Getting the timing belt and the power steering pump done. (I already got the alternator replaced due to the leak). They say I hit the bottom of the car and crushed the protector over one of the oxygen sensors. The protector clipped the wires off of it. They can't believe the car still runs (and it runs as well as it ever did) but they want too much to fix it in my opinion. What do you think?

Hello: Unless the wires are in bad shape go to Radio Shack get some splices and put each wire where they correspond and you should have no problem, providing the sensor is intact. Disconnet negative power from the car before attempting to fix it. And fix it as long as the cables are color coded like a blue a white a black etc and match them by their colors if not that the case then do not. And do not forget to cover with tape all wires, so none of them is exposed and causes a short in the system, that should be done even if no attempt to splice the wires is done. A short from the ones that are not attached to the senor, the ones in the car harness could damage your computer. Are you getting a check engine light with the issue at hand?

C. PR

That is the funny part, there is no check engine light. And it runs great. I almost feel like saying "why do anything?" But I won't. I will just reattach the wires and see what happens.

Thanks. I agree.

C. PR