Rx300 Audio Upgrade Advice

Hi,

I just purchased a 2001 RX300 with factory navigation (still using the original 2000 ver. 1 map disks). With an overriding goal of preserving the ‘factory install look’, I’m interested in updating the audio & navigation and am open to replacing any of the existing components with that in mind.

My primary wants are (1) updated nav data (2) add a (hidden) Sirius tuner that ideally pipes station, artist and song info to a single nav display screen and (3) add a non-IPod mp3 player [Creative Zen in my case] that ideally pipes artist and song info to a single nav screen. While I’m at it, why not the ability to control the 2 devices thru the touch screen as well? :)

I’ve searched and read countless posts and have probably reached information overload.

I’ve concluded I can order & update the nav data disks from Sewell Lexus for $299 less a $15 rebate for returning my original disks. But, is that $300 I should invest toward an aftermarket system that accomplishes all (or most) of what I’m after? If so, can I do that while having it look ‘factory original’? That looks tough or not do-able to me. Even if an aftermarket looks original, how do I monitor the a/c controls and temperature?

I’ve looked into Kenwood’s KOS-A200 media extender to add the satellite radio and mp3 player, but am not fond of it only outputting one ‘data item’ at a time (artist only or song only, etc) via RDS feed. And the 01’s audio screen on the nav display only shows 8 – 10 scrolling characters at a time, which is a step down from being used to looking at a 3 line display. The Kenwood’s audio output is FM modulation only, which given a choice, I’d avoid and go direct connect. I also looked at Alpine’s vehicle hub, but it shows as ‘incompatible’ with the RX300. I’m guessing there’s not a 3rd party wiring harness available for the integration – unless Pioneersuby has one in the drawer?

So, I doubt I can get all of what I want in the way that I want it. Can anyone provide any suggestions to the best way to come as close as possible to what I’m after?

Thanks for any input,

David

Hi,

I just purchased a 2001 RX300 with factory navigation (still using the original 2000 ver. 1 map disks). With an overriding goal of preserving the ‘factory install look’, I’m interested in updating the audio & navigation and am open to replacing any of the existing components with that in mind.

My primary wants are (1) updated nav data (2) add a (hidden) Sirius tuner that ideally pipes station, artist and song info to a single nav display screen and (3) add a non-IPod mp3 player [Creative Zen in my case] that ideally pipes artist and song info to a single nav screen. While I’m at it, why not the ability to control the 2 devices thru the touch screen as well? :)

I’ve searched and read countless posts and have probably reached information overload.

I’ve concluded I can order & update the nav data disks from Sewell Lexus for $299 less a $15 rebate for returning my original disks. But, is that $300 I should invest toward an aftermarket system that accomplishes all (or most) of what I’m after? If so, can I do that while having it look ‘factory original’? That looks tough or not do-able to me. Even if an aftermarket looks original, how do I monitor the a/c controls and temperature?

I’ve looked into Kenwood’s KOS-A200 media extender to add the satellite radio and mp3 player, but am not fond of it only outputting one ‘data item’ at a time (artist only or song only, etc) via RDS feed. And the 01’s audio screen on the nav display only shows 8 – 10 scrolling characters at a time, which is a step down from being used to looking at a 3 line display. The Kenwood’s audio output is FM modulation only, which given a choice, I’d avoid and go direct connect. I also looked at Alpine’s vehicle hub, but it shows as ‘incompatible’ with the RX300. I’m guessing there’s not a 3rd party wiring harness available for the integration – unless Pioneersuby has one in the drawer?

So, I doubt I can get all of what I want in the way that I want it. Can anyone provide any suggestions to the best way to come as close as possible to what I’m after?

Thanks for any input,

David

dduvall. i just sold a 2006 gs430 navigation system that has the 6 disc cd dvd changer right below the screen that plays dvd movies on the screen . when i looked up the buyer of the system on google that i just sold it is the owner a comapny that sells video i pod adapters that willk work on oem applications like lexus. i assume he bought the system to make an video ipod adapter for lexus cars. so you will be able to download a movie video in your ipod and have both sound and video from your video ipod playing on your lexus navigation screen and through the dolby 7.1 sound systerm. . so our conversation about such an adapter was not so far feched after all!!

post-1629-1163253222_thumb.jpg

post-1629-1163253500_thumb.jpg

post-1629-1163253592_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
dduvall. i just sold a 2006 gs430 navigation system that has the 6 disc cd dvd changer right below the screen that plays dvd movies on the screen . when i looked up the buyer of the system on google that i just sold it is the owner a comapny that sells video i pod adapters that willk work on oem applications like lexus. i assume he bought the system to make an video ipod adapter for lexus cars. so you will be able to download a movie video in your ipod and have both sound and video from your video ipod playing on your lexus navigation screen and through the dolby 7.1 sound systerm. . so our conversation about such an adapter was not so far feched after all!!

Which company was it that bought this from you?