The Lexus Link System Is Active

joelsin

I just received a notice from Lexus Motor Sales in CA of a special service campaign to have the link system removed. While I don't mind hearing the car tell me the LINK sysetem is active, I do not see what need there is in having it removed if leaving it installed is not a problem. I called the dealer and asked what would be done should i bring my 2001 - LS430 in for service and was told buttons wouild be removed and a small visor would be installed. I am reluctant to have any changes made that will not affect the preformance of the vehicle in a positive manner. Any thought on the matter are appreciated.

regards,

joe

My thought is that since it will no longer be supported by Lexus..it becomes a liability for them in case you need it and it does not respond....I am not sure what to do nor am I in a hurry and will take a wait and see attitude until I get more info.

I just received a notice from Lexus Motor Sales in CA of a special service campaign to have the link system removed. While I don't mind hearing the car tell me the LINK sysetem is active, I do not see what need there is in having it removed if leaving it installed is not a problem. I called the dealer and asked what would be done should i bring my 2001 - LS430 in for service and was told buttons wouild be removed and a small visor would be installed. I am reluctant to have any changes made that will not affect the preformance of the vehicle in a positive manner. Any thought on the matter are appreciated.

regards,

joe

Yes they replace the Lexus Link panel with the same sunvisor you would get on the non LL cars. I think they disconnect the system in the trunk as well (I don't think they remove it); you would then have the option to use the roof mounted antenna for your cell phone should you desire. Aside from not hearing the status on startup (and the system not working) the disconnection has no other affect on the vehicle.

Lexus is not planning to offer upgrades for older units to the digital system; and while the FCC is saying that analog networks are not required to be supported after jan 2008 who knows when they will actually be shut off.

The service is so expensive however that aside from unlocking the car (AAA) and location when stolen (Lojack) there is little incentive in my mind to use it. If it was priced like the Onstar system I would have subscribed a long time ago.

Maybe someone will figure out how to put an Onstar module into the Lexus Link system. I wonder if someone will make a 3rd party upgrade for older Onstar systems (as that's what the Gen1 Lexus Link system is) that might work for those cars.

I for one am going to wait and see what happens when 2008 rolls past.