Pigeon In My Is?

dave.b

Couldn't find this anywhere so I hope I am not reposting...

I bought an 02 IS about 3 weeks ago w/ 58k on it. Absolutely love it, but that's another story.

Anyway, I have noticed an odd sound on acceleration. Its pretty hard to describe but it sounds kind of like a warble? Is that a word? It sounds like a pigeon is in my engine bay revving its little voice with the rpm's. The sound is only noticable with the stereo off, so its not very loud.

Any ideas? Maybe something resonating in the engine compartment? Exhaust noise I'm just not accustomed to in the IS?

Thx

Will it make the noise if the car is sitting in park and you rev the engine? If so, open the hood and try to listen for it while someone else revs it up. Hope it's not, but it almost sounds like it could be the water pump. Or maybe it's just something that's caught in your intake snorkel.

After reading your post I went out and drove it again just to be sure.

It only happens under load and starts at 3k rmp.

The frequency does not increase with rpm.

It does not happen at 3k rpm going downhill (e-shift is handy for something)

It seems to come from the right side (which is why I thought intake or exhaust)

I don't know the car very well yet, but it really does seem like something is resonating...I'll check the air intake as you suggested. Could be that the engine position is changing slightly under load and causing something to make noise, but that doesn't explain why it starts at 3k...well, I guess it could...

Part of the problem is that I am ultra-sensitive on account of it being a new vehicle for me.

Thanks for your response.

Well I dunno unless it's a little vacuum leak or something like that. There are two small hoses that go into the air box. One from the valve cover and one to the vapor canister. Might make sure those are clear and properly attached.

I guess my approach would be to fiddle with one thing, go drive. Fiddle with another, go drive. And repeat till I either found it or got really frustrated.

Not related but I spent a couple of weekends chasing down a noise in the suspension. I even took it to Lexus and they said they tightened everything, but it didn't help. Well, I finally jacked up the one side, took off the wheel,and used my floor jack to cycle the right front suspension through its travel until I heard the noise. Being close to the source, I was able to pinpoint the location. The two sway bar bracket mounting bolts were loose on that side. Fixed that problem, but it just took trying and retrying and eliminating stuff.

Well I dunno unless it's a little vacuum leak or something like that. There are two small hoses that go into the air box. One from the valve cover and one to the vapor canister. Might make sure those are clear and properly attached.

I guess my approach would be to fiddle with one thing, go drive. Fiddle with another, go drive. And repeat till I either found it or got really frustrated.

Not related but I spent a couple of weekends chasing down a noise in the suspension. I even took it to Lexus and they said they tightened everything, but it didn't help. Well, I finally jacked up the one side, took off the wheel,and used my floor jack to cycle the right front suspension through its travel until I heard the noise. Being close to the source, I was able to pinpoint the location. The two sway bar bracket mounting bolts were loose on that side. Fixed that problem, but it just took trying and retrying and eliminating stuff.

I did find what appears to be a disconnected vaccum line. There is a small metal line protruding about 4 in. from right front side of the engine in the vacinity of the timing cover. Looks like it should have a vaccum line on it but there's not one ther. I really haven't had time to investigate it, but I should like to fix it if there's supposed to be on there. Bear in mind I mean "right front" while seated in the car.

Can someone tel me what this is?

thx

Dave,

It MIGHT be your cadalidic converter. I had the same type of sound in my 02 as I was decelerating and it could only be heard with the window down. Just a suggestion though for ya.

Ken

Thanks Ken! I'll check that too.

Dave

B)-->

QUOTE(dave.b @ Nov 3 2006, 02:15 AM)

Couldn't find this anywhere so I hope I am not reposting...

I bought an 02 IS about 3 weeks ago w/ 58k on it. Absolutely love it, but that's another story.

Anyway, I have noticed an odd sound on acceleration. Its pretty hard to describe but it sounds kind of like a warble? Is that a word? It sounds like a pigeon is in my engine bay revving its little voice with the rpm's. The sound is only noticable with the stereo off, so its not very loud.

Any ideas? Maybe something resonating in the engine compartment? Exhaust noise I'm just not accustomed to in the IS?

Thx

Ken, Bart, thanks for your replies. If I ever come up with anything I'l let you know!

Dave

• 4 months later...

i think i know the noise you mean - sounds like a mix between pigeons and sort of water gugrling coming from the middle air vent area...

i don't think it's anything serious, mine does it randomly while accelerating very slowly.

it always goes away and seem to only happen within the first mile or so of driving

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I am a new IS300 owner. I bought an '01 about two weeks ago and I've been noticing the same type of sound. I was wondering if anyone has found the cause yet. Mine sounds like "gurgling" as well, like fluid traveling through a hose with bubbles in it. It's very strange and was making me really nervous until I found this thread. However, I'm still very curious and appreciate any response.

Also, anyone have any suggestions on where to take these cars for maintanence? I hear slight squealing during braking and one of my headlights is out. Is there a good aftermarket solution to the headlight or is the dealership the way to go?

One more thing, anyone know a good product for cleaning of polished alloy rims?

Thanks in advance.

Regarding the gurgling/bubble noise, probably water moving through the heater core if it sounds like coming through the air vents and only within first mile or so. Normal, however check your coolant level per operators manual.

Hi Everyone,

I am a new IS300 owner. I bought an '01 about two weeks ago and I've been noticing the same type of sound. I was wondering if anyone has found the cause yet. Mine sounds like "gurgling" as well, like fluid traveling through a hose with bubbles in it. It's very strange and was making me really nervous until I found this thread. However, I'm still very curious and appreciate any response.

Also, anyone have any suggestions on where to take these cars for maintanence? I hear slight squealing during braking and one of my headlights is out. Is there a good aftermarket solution to the headlight or is the dealership the way to go?

One more thing, anyone know a good product for cleaning of polished alloy rims?

Thanks in advance.

The above poster is correct about the gurgling. It's best to jack up the front of the car, turn the heater on full and bring up the coolant level.

As for healights, if you need a bulb, there are usually Phillips HID bulbs reasonably priced on Ebay. You need D2R 4300K to match stock.

The above poster is correct about the gurgling. It's best to jack up the front of the car, turn the heater on full and bring up the coolant level.

As for healights, if you need a bulb, there are usually Phillips HID bulbs reasonably priced on Ebay. You need D2R 4300K to match stock.

Thanks everyone for the response...

Bartkat, do you mean I should jack up the front, turn the heater on, and fill with coolant to see if the gurgling stops? I'll try this out...

Thanks everyone for the response...

Bartkat, do you mean I should jack up the front, turn the heater on, and fill with coolant to see if the gurgling stops? I'll try this out...

Yes. The gurgling is probably air in the coolant lines that go through the heater core. People tell me they have cured the problem that way.

I hope this helps those with the air in the lines. Unfortunatley that isn't the problem I am having, though I will of course double check...

I have taken mine to Toyota and they can't find it. They don't really understand how the car "should" sound.

Basically mine makes the noise at 3k rpm and it is very obvious to someone who has been in an IS that doesn't do this. All the time always, but only under load, and it starts at 3k and tapers of after that. It is most prevalent at shift points. I have had cars with bubbles in the coolant lines and this isn't the noise :(

Toyota suggested it might be transmission but couldn't identify any problems. I am hoping to find a local dyno or someone that will put it on a lift and let me diagnose it with the wheels turning. I could accomplish this with jack stands but I'm a little nervous about safety issues.