The 600 Dollar Window Switch, Well Almost

Karl K

The $600 window switch...well, almost $600 dollars at the dealer, $477.70 discounted plus shipping.

My drivers door window got stuck in the down position.

The switch felt rough and sticky and I didn't want to force it.

I took the switch out of the door panel, removed the face-plate, sprayed some WD-40 into the switch and started to slowly work it. After a while the switch felt as good as new. I put it back into the door and my window Is now working again like it always did.

I hope this might help someone down the line.

Karl

The $600 window switch...well, almost $600 dollars at the dealer, $477.70 discounted plus shipping.

I took the switch out of the door panel, removed the face-plate, sprayed some WD-40 into the switch and started to slowly work it. After a while the switch felt as good as new. I put it back into the door and my window Is now working again like it always did.

Karl

God Bless, Posts like this. Karl K' You are truly a participating member. :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Looks like the bar is almost full :blink:

You owe me a beer :cheers:

Actually you don't have to remove the door panel.

Take a tool or other instrument, something like a screwdriver without sharp edges, get in toward the rear of the switch plate and carefully pry the switch out of it's location in the arm rest.....don't force it, play with it if you have to you don't want to scratch the plate. It is held in place by spring clips. Once it is out, disconnect the electrical plug, unscrew the face plate so you just have the switch assembly, turn the switch upside down and spray under the moving part, swish it around and start rocking the switch slowly until it moves freely.

It worked for me, hope it helps somone.

Good luck

Karl

Karl, thank you for that post, hope it works forever for you!!

How did you get into the door though, I'd never believe I could get into that impenetrable door panel?

We all owe you a beer(s) !

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Wild uncontrolled mechanical work like this violates the service manual.

I am sure the Lexus mechanics union will hunt you down.

Sorta like the time 10 years ago I needed a timing belt on an Isuzu I mark- the Isuzu dealer wanted about $600 they said and showed me in the owners manual where engine removal was needed hence the high cost.

Chevy made the same car, I asked them: $185. They said they jacked the engine up 1 inch and removed a motor mount allowing access.

• 7 months later...

My driver's side window switch started acting up in the passed couple of months. I had the same issue as most of you whereby the window goes down but have problems getting it back up. The only difference is is that the switch feels soft a "mushy"; not rough and stiff. Does this indicate that the 1 switch out of 4 is bad and has to be replaced?

I looked for a cost to replace but could not find anything except this post...does it really cost $600? Anyone know where I can find it for less?

Thanks for you help,

BJP

REALLY?! OK, I will try that. I've never disconnected the battery before. Could you possibly give me some instructions so I don't electricute myself? Or should I just go to a mechanic to be on the safe side?

Thanks for the suggestion,

BJP

to disconnect the battery, make sure everything is turned off, locate the negative terminal, the one with the minus, loosen the clamp with a ten millimeter wrench and lift the clamp off the terminal, wait a minute and put it back on, tighten the clamp nut and hope it helped.

If you are not sure doing it, there is always your local garage.

good luck

Karl

Thanks, Karl.

I followed your instructions...very simple. And it seemed to work. The window switch is stiffer and am able to bring the driver's side window up & down again. I wonder if my battery needs to be replaced. In any case...Thank you very much for this suggestion.

I really appreciate it,

BJP

• 1 year later...

Karl

Karl

KARL

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE WINDOW SWITCH. I JUST PURCHASED A 2001 RX300 WITH 84,000 MILES ON IT. LOVE THE CAR BUT 2 WEEKS AFTER I PICKED IT UP THE PASSENGER SIDE WINDOW STUCK IN THE DOWN POSITION. IF I KEPT WORKING THE SWITCH FOR SABOUT 30 OR 40 TIMES IT WOULD EVENTUALLY GO UP. AND YES, MY MECHANIC SAID THE MASTER SWITCH COSTS $600. I WILL TRY THE SUGGESTIONS I SAW HERE BUT CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE YOU FOUND THE SWITCH FOR $477? THATS BETTER THAN $600.

THNAKS

TOMGB

• 6 years later...