Why Is My Prius Cooler Than My Rx-400h ?!?

Hi all,

It's great to be part of the group. Thanks for all the comments / opinions that I have been reading. Here is my issue:

It's so great to just get in a car without having to jam a hand into a pocket (or purse?), flub around for the right key to get in and to start a car. Smart Entry / Ignition: THAT is one of the greatest things that Toyota has ever come up with . . .

Maybe some of the rest of you don't miss Smart fobs because you have never experienced or heard of it?

Maybe some of you have experienced the smart fob, but don't mind that we spend OVER $10k for a vehicle that doesn't have the same cool features?

Or maybe it's just me ... and I ought to not let it bug me, that Lexus lets Toyota "One up" their high end, hoytie~toytie Flagship company . . . at least at it pertains to my 400h.

Can I get some feedback?

sigh.

lol im pretty sure everything here knows what the smart access is. however, you have to understand that the RX came out in 2004, which did not have smart access (invented yet?). all the new lexus cars have them now, IS, GS, ES, LS and they come standard. its very hard to stop production on a vehicle and redesign it half way into the car's life and tell the factory to change a certain part of it. it would cost way too much money. therefor, they decide to wait for the redesign in 2009 to have that feature.

lol im pretty sure everything here knows what the smart access is. however, you have to understand that the RX came out in 2004, which did not have smart access (invented yet?). all the new lexus cars have them now, IS, GS, ES, LS and they come standard. its very hard to stop production on a vehicle and redesign it half way into the car's life and tell the factory to change a certain part of it. it would cost way too much money. therefor, they decide to wait for the redesign in 2009 to have that feature.
The LS430 got smart access as a standard feature midway through the generation, in 2004. ;)

Lexus seems to be anti smart access for its SUVs for some reason or another...

The LS430 got smart access as a standard feature midway through the generation, in 2004. ;)

Yea, and that's my point. Lexus & Toyota had it in both vehicles in 2004. Thus, they were designing and working on the smart feature for at least a year prior ... working out any bugs that may have needed working out. So it was a volitional decision to exclude the RX's. Just try & get an intellegent answer from your dealer regarding WHEN it will be included in the SUV line up. It really flys in the face of the company image . . . that the Lexus SUV is ahead of the pack. A regular old fashion key? Come on ... that technology has been around since my grandpa started driving!

Yea, and that's my point. Lexus & Toyota had it in both vehicles in 2004. Thus, they were designing and working on the smart feature for at least a year prior ... working out any bugs that may have needed working out. So it was a volitional decision to exclude the RX's. Just try & get an intellegent answer from your dealer regarding WHEN it will be included in the SUV line up. It really flys in the face of the company image . . . that the Lexus SUV is ahead of the pack. A regular old fashion key? Come on ... that technology has been around since my grandpa started driving!

I beleive it was as conscious decision to differentiate the RX 400h as little as possible from the 330 and other standard ICE vehicles. All the revolutionary stuff is hidden and functions as seamless as they could make it.

Whether this was a WISE descision, is debatable.

I do remember being a little surprised that I had to turn the key to the "start" position (with spring loading and everything) when this is cleary not needed on this type of vehicle. I wrote it off as a consession to the valet and carwash folks who are just used to turning a key.

I'll presume you meant "everyONE" here knows what smart access is. Maybe you're thinking every Lexus CAR owner knows what the smart key is. In fact, I meant to direct the inquirey to RX hybrid owners. However I see now that this forum doesn't narrow down that way ... but rather it pigeon holes down to hybrid owners. My inquiry ought to have been to Lexus S.U.V. owners. They / we are the ones who wouldn't necessarily know of smart functions. Sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, the fact is, I have spoken with MANY Lexus SUV owners, and not ONE of them knew what smart keys are. Therein lies my humble opinion, "WHAT a PITY ! " Maybe if enough folks write to Lexus, the greatest feature (not counting the hybrid system itself) WOULD get included in subsequent productions. Does Lexus listen? I don't know. It'd sure beat changing a model year by mearly adding the shiny little hybrid badge on the side of the vehicle :^)

Earlier model C5 Corvettes had a feature where the doors would unlock automatically whenever the driver was within a short distance. This feature was discontinued for obvious reasons. Perhaps Lexus knows something that we don't about the "smart key".........

Earlier model C5 Corvettes had a feature where the doors would unlock automatically whenever the driver was within a short distance. This feature was discontinued for obvious reasons. Perhaps Lexus knows something that we don't about the "smart key".........

It's improved from the early Corvette version. I have SmartKey on an Avalon and I have no idea about the "how" but the Toyota SmartKey only unlocks the door or trunk when you grip a door handle while the key is on your person--and only starts when the key is inside the car. It's hard to fool, and sometimes won't unlock if you use only a couple fingers on the handle. The manual shows receiver ranges around the car for the various operations. Convenient, neat, but not a must have for me. It will probably be there on the RX in an option group in the next generation.

Since they're putting it standard on EVERY new model I'm going to guess they don't

Smart keys are here to stay, everybody has them now.

Personally, I love Smart Keys. After driving the Prius for a while fumbling for keys is REALLY annoying. I wouldn't buy a new car without this feature.

Personally, I love Smart Keys. After driving the Prius for a while fumbling for keys is REALLY annoying. I wouldn't buy a new car without this feature.

Then you must be a VERY rich man......:)

Seriously, I am looking for an economy car that costs less than 17,000. I guess I won't be getting any"smart key" feature at that price. Since my brother-in-law works at a Mazda dealership, the Mazda 3 sedan is looking very good (with family discount) at $16k for a car with a good number of features, such as side air bags, power options (Touring edition) and aluminum wheels.

Then you must be a VERY rich man......:)

Why? The entire Lexus car line now has smart keys. If I were to buy a new ES today and spend what I spent in 2003, it'd have a smart key ;)

Seriously, I am looking for an economy car that costs less than 17,000. I guess I won't be getting any"smart key" feature at that price. Since my brother-in-law works at a Mazda dealership, the Mazda 3 sedan is looking very good (with family discount) at $16k for a car with a good number of features, such as side air bags, power options (Touring edition) and aluminum wheels.

All Nissans now have smart keys, even the Sentra and even the cheaper Versa, both of which are sub-$17k.. We looked at the Mazda 3 5 door before we got the Prius and it was a very nice vehicle, but the new Nissan lineup is very high end in features for the price.

The latest Car & Driver had a sub-$20K sedan comparison:

1) Volkswagen Rabbit (thirsty, poor reliability)

2) Mazda 3 (better-than-average reliability and best handling car of the bunch)

3) Honda Civic (good economy, but dash that is either loved or hated)

4) Hundai (smooth ride, but sloppy handling)

6) Toyota Corolla (great gas mileage, but granny-handling)

6) Nissan Sentra (nice interior, but poor handling)

Of course, performance played a huge part in determining the winner.

Dave

All Nissans now have smart keys, even the Sentra and even the cheaper Versa, both of which are sub-$17k.. We looked at the Mazda 3 5 door before we got the Prius and it was a very nice vehicle, but the new Nissan lineup is very high end in features for the price.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/news/smart-keys-06-07-05.asp

I've read that nissan smart fobs (though equally smart) don't have a sophisticated security feature, as the Toyota/Lexus type (and others) do ... meaning it would be possible to enter / start the car for those criminally minded folks.

I've read that nissan smart fobs (though equally smart) don't have a sophisticated security feature, as the Toyota/Lexus type (and others) do ... meaning it would be possible to enter / start the car for those criminally minded folks.

I don't buy that, they're all rolling code systems. Its just like keyless entry with a push button fob.

apparently, ive seen news articles about people with laptops can just pick up the signal, or code and use it to get in. something like that. i think its too complicated for the crooks though

I read something about that too. They can capture the signal with a laptop and then use the lap top to re transmit the signal...:chairshot:

but I guess they could do that with the old transmiters too!

I'm sure they can do that with push button fobs when they're activated too. Remember the systems are rolling code, so once a code is used it may be hundreds of starts until its used again...

I'm insured. If you spend your life worrying about things like that you'll never enjoy yourself. If someone wants to steal your stuff, they'll find a way.