Front Brake Noise

Jforf

Our car has developed a growl or rumble in the left front. :o Mechanic that checked it out says nothing is wrong just noisy brakes, live with it or maybe changing the pads might help. If I decide to change out the pads what are some of the prefered replacement choices? I am familiar with Performance Friction. What brands seem to perform the best on these cars?

toyota pads, shims and a fix kit. parts should run you about $85

Since I've never had the brakes on this car opened up, how are the shims used and what is contained in the fix kit?

Unless I am way off the $80 sounds high for the front pads. Also does not the shis come installed on the pads themselves?

Also what is this fix kit?

Unfortunately, Toyota and Lexus do not include new shims with their new brake pads. Replacing the shims costs almost as much as the cost of the pads. I have always used the old shims. This may require some clean-up, especially if the prior pad replacement was done with the gummy, plastic type sound deadening material.

I suspect the "fix kit" is the caliper overhaul kit. This includes the rubber boots, o-rings and other seals needed to replace the parts likely to deteriorate in the calipers. If the condition of the piston boots looks good, I would probably forego this step. A deteriorated boot would allow dirt and water into areas where they should not be. The overhaul kit installation would be a good idea if such deterioration is noted.

toyota pads, shims and a fix kit. parts should run you about $85

Ok I got the shims figured out. It seems strange that some pads come with them and some don't. After looking at the set on the car, it has shims on both sides and the backing plate for the pads are green. On the outward surface both rotors appear to be the same. So now the decision replace the pads and turn the rotors or replace the rotors.

Unfortunately, Toyota and Lexus do not include new shims with their new brake pads. Replacing the shims costs almost as much as the cost of the pads. I have always used the old shims. This may require some clean-up, especially if the prior pad replacement was done with the gummy, plastic type sound deadening material.

/quote]

weird since I just replaced my fronta pads, OEM, and the pads had the shims already on the back of the pads.

mburnickas -

My comments about the new shims costing almost as much as new pads was based on my experience in buying these parts on the internet.

For example, for my 94 ES, the front pads, part #04465-33060, are listed on www.lexus-parts.com for $62.37. The shim kit, part #04945-33010, is listed for $40.55.

I can do a lot of shim clean-up for $40.55.

mburnickas -

My comments about the new shims costing almost as much as new pads was based on my experience in buying these parts on the internet.

For example, for my 94 ES, the front pads, part #04465-33060, are listed on www.lexus-parts.com for $62.37. The shim kit, part #04945-33010, is listed for $40.55.

I can do a lot of shim clean-up for $40.55.

Ok, Pad price is a little high (cheaper on another site for OEM); but, I guess the older Es needs some shims. I know my 98 had the shims integral to the pads (back) and the price was about 1/2 of Lexus-parts

Our car has developed a growl or rumble in the left front. :o Mechanic that checked it out says nothing is wrong just noisy brakes, live with it or maybe changing the pads might help. If I decide to change out the pads what are some of the prefered replacement choices? I am familiar with Performance Friction. What brands seem to perform the best on these cars?

I use NAPA ceramix, clean and quiet. I think some people may be confusing the antisqeel pad with the shim. I would pull the caliper and clean everything. Remove rust from contact points, pads, shim, caliper and piston.

Clean rotor with laquer thinner. Apply anti-squeel lube to piston cup and take for a test.

Well, the brakes are quiet again. All I had to do was go out and use them. Four hard stops from about 60 and they are now working like they should. Going to flush out the system and all will hopefully be good. Thanks for all the info for when it becomes time to replace them.