Es300 As A Commuter

Elronse

Just bought my 96 ES300 2 weeks ago.

Love it.

I put over 500 miles a week on it and am wondering what I can do to enhance the mileage I get and anything I can do for comfort improvement.

I currently get a bit over 25 mpg on 91 octane.

What I'm looking for are categories for improvement and suggestions within those categories. Some that come to my mind are:

Mileage:

1) Air Intake - Replace with K & N filter, Cold Air or something similar.

Comfort:

1) Alloy and tire combinations

2) Suspension upgrades

3) Cabin noise - Best treatment for seals on the doors? I've read that gummi-pfledge is really good, any other suggestions?

Window alignment?

Transmitted road noise?

Don't get me wrong, it's the best driving car I've ever had, not that that's saying very much. But, I'm hoping to drive this car for many years, and want the best experience possible.

Thanks,

Elronse

Elronse,

You're on the right track w/ the K&N air filter. That should up your mileage to 26-28 MPG.

Tires:

Read all the reviews before you buy. Tirerack has an excellent review system so you can get the tire that's perfect for what you want.... Quiet-n-comfy :D

Windows:

I use Meguires tire dressing. It's like a silicone lotion that goes on your tires, but works great at treating the window seals. They hardly make any noise for at least two weeks after using it. Any silicone-based window treatment will work, but some leave more residue than others. Mine doesn't leave any residue after a couple days.

Lexus can adjust your windows to make them fit tighter agains the seal, which will probably help significantly if there is a tension problem. The issue is people shut the door by putting force on the window and it flexes it out of alignment so it becomes loose. It's a fairly easy problem to correct.

If the issue is a bad seal, you can buy a new one for $70 per side from lexus. It's all one piece on my car, so I suspect it's the same on a 1996.

Suspension:

Also, I wouldn't "upgrade" your suspension at all from stock. If it needs anything replace it with stock components or something that's the same. (i.e. gas shocks for gas shocks)

Lexus is known for it's good ride and I highly doubt that there's a product that will signicantly improve ride with no other adverse effects that the Lexus engineers haven't thought of. As I see it, everything is a balance. If you want a good ride you sacrifice performance. Good performance, you sacrific a good ride. The cars are usually at a perfect balance when they are stock.

Good luck w/ it. The lexus I own is the 1st one as well, and it's by FAR the nicest car I've ever owned (good price too). I feel pampered everytime I get in it. I'm sure I'll be a Lexus owner for life.

Cheers!

:cheers:

Great...

Thanks for the information. That's what I was looking for. I don't want to do much to it, just want to ensure that the ride stays great.

Any suggestions on washing / detailing the vehicle. I've never even wanted to treat a vehicle I own well before, but I want this one to last and remain the beauty it is today.

Elronse

get a fuel system cleaning done

it is a system which uses high pressure and cleaning agents to clean everything from injectors ,valves,combustion chamber, plugs exhaust piping and catalyst

i will definatly imporve your mpg by atleast 4 mpg

for about $100

makes the car drive like new

then a few days after change the oil

as there will be blow by

which will contaminate the oil slightly