Why Would Anyone Buy A Is250 Instead Of A Is350?

Just wondering? I looked at both and the difference in power made the IS350 a very easy choice. The price is that much different.

If you can't afford the few thousand more then you should probably get a Camry. Mine cost more that a few thousand more than the IS250 as I got the premium package with ML nav.

Inappropriate reply edited out. Don't post personal attacks and insults here.

Thanks,

bart

Just wondering? I looked at both and the difference in power made the IS350 a very easy choice. The price is that much different.

If you can't afford the few thousand more then you should probably get a Camry. Mine cost more that a few thousand more than the IS250 as I got the premium package with ML nav.

Living up here in Buffalo, the IS 250 was an easy choice. I know I'm gonna need that AWD come wintertime!

That being said, and all other things being equal, I still don't know if I'd get the IS 350. My driving habits wouldn't justify spending the extra few thousand dollars (yes, I CAN afford it) for the extra power. I would probably never race anyone, and almost certainly wouldn't drive at breakneck speeds. The IS 250 has plenty of power for my needs, and certainly doesn't feel like a "slow" car by any means. And it's still a very fun car to drive. I bought my IS 250 for the combination of quality, styling and luxury. Based on those three factors, there is essentially no difference between the IS 250 and IS 350.

Hey, your driving habits may be different and the IS 350 may suit you better. But please don't dis us IS 250 owners. We all have reasons for purchasing the vehicles that we do. There are many more IS 250s out there than IS 350s - not everyone wants the IS 350. For some owners it may be the money, but for others there may be other factors involved in their decision. And there's certainly nothing wrong with those new car buyers who choose to buy a Camry either (it's an excellent vehicle, just not my style). In fact, some of the most well-off people I know do not even own a luxury car - they feel it's too pretentious. Different strokes for different folks...

Living up here in Buffalo, the IS 250 was an easy choice. I know I'm gonna need that AWD come wintertime!

That being said, and all other things being equal, I still don't know if I'd get the IS 350. My driving habits wouldn't justify spending the extra few thousand dollars (yes, I CAN afford it) for the extra power. I would probably never race anyone, and almost certainly wouldn't drive at breakneck speeds. The IS 250 has plenty of power for my needs, and certainly doesn't feel like a "slow" car by any means. And it's still a very fun car to drive. I bought my IS 250 for the combination of quality, styling and luxury. Based on those three factors, there is essentially no difference between the IS 250 and IS 350.

Hey, your driving habits may be different and the IS 350 may suit you better. But please don't dis us IS 250 owners. We all have reasons for purchasing the vehicles that we do. There are many more IS 250s out there than IS 350s - not everyone wants the IS 350. For some owners it may be the money, but for others there may be other factors involved in their decision. And there's certainly nothing wrong with those new car buyers who choose to buy a Camry either (it's an excellent vehicle, just not my style). In fact, some of the most well-off people I know do not even own a luxury car - they feel it's too pretentious. Different strokes for different folks...

Very well said jetman, my exact thoughts. :-) So you saved me recycling some electrons!

The reasons I bought the IS250. I could have gotten a 350 if I'd wanted one (which I didn't):

1) AWD. I live in New England and it snows here ... a lot.

2) I live in a suburban/urban area and don't need to race to the next traffic light. There is absolutely no need for me for a 300 hp car.

3) I don't need to tow anything.

4) The 250 is cheaper on both insurance and gas.

5) They look exactly the same

I have a 350 but fully agree with the reasons to buy a 250 instead.

What I do not understand is the opposite situation when you see "old" ladies or similarly "slow driving" persons "driving" the most powerful model in a line-up, e.g., the BMW M3, or an Audi S4, or an AMG MB....

I wonder if they were "tricked" by the sales person or they were just the kind of person that selected the most expensive model in the show room regardless...

What is your theory?

... I have always asked myself that question after noticing such odd sightings which are quite usual here in South Florida...

fn: It could be the "spouse's" car but not in all cases...

What I do not understand is the opposite situation when you see "old" ladies or similarly "slow driving" persons "driving" the most powerful model in a line-up, e.g., the BMW M3, or an Audi S4, or an AMG MB....

I wonder if they were "tricked" by the sales person or they were just the kind of person that selected the most expensive model in the show room regardless...

What is your theory?

... I have always asked myself that question after noticing such odd sightings which are quite usual here in South Florida...

If cost is no option, it would be easy for a smooth talking salesman to get an old lady to purchase more car than she needs (bigger sticker price = larger commission). It may be a stereotype, but I don't think the average old lady is a savvy car buyer. Once a salesman tells her she "needs" the extra power (to "avoid an accident" perhaps) she'll believe it. Either that or if she wants a particular color that's on the lot only in the more powerful model, that's the one she'll buy. I'm sure you see this more in Florida, where there's lots of old people with tons of money. Here in Buffalo, the old people drive Buicks - the ones with the money have already retired to Florida. Whenever I see a Buick on the road I always leave a little extra following distance in case the old person behind the wheel does something stupid...

What is your theory?

If cost is no option, it would be easy for a smooth talking salesman to get an old lady to purchase more car than she needs (bigger sticker price = larger commission). It may be a stereotype, but I don't think the average old lady is a savvy car buyer. Once a salesman tells her she "needs" the extra power (to "avoid an accident" perhaps) she'll believe it. Either that or if she wants a particular color that's on the lot only in the more powerful model, that's the one she'll buy. I'm sure you see this more in Florida, where there's lots of old people with tons of money. Here in Buffalo, the old people drive Buicks - the ones with the money have already retired to Florida. Whenever I see a Buick on the road I always leave a little extra following distance in case the old person behind the wheel does something stupid...

This original post is pretty old - (about 6 mos). So as of June 2007...for me $3.35/gal premium and driving 100 miles a day settled the issue.

Apart from the 350 being more powerful there are 2 main reasons: the 350 has the Mark Levinson premium sound package (which is very different from the standard or upgraded sound system on the 250), the 350 has a luxury package on the interior -- for example, side view mirrors tilt when you reverse the car, which together with the Nav (which has a rear camera) enables you to see the curb really nicely when you are parallel parking (so you don't screw up your wheels). If you add Nav to your 250, you are getting close to the cost of a 350, so might as well purchased the 350.

Basically Lexus figured out that they would sell many more 250's than 350's just as BMW sells many more 318 v 330s, because people just want to be able to drive a Lexus or BMW and save $5-7k, so they get into the brand with the less expensive version. If you can afford the 350 it is very worth it both from an acceleration and having the little extras point of views. However, most dealers do not have 350s in stock so it is much more difficult to negotiate the price on them versus the 250.

And to answer the question, as to why old ladies buy powerful cars. I am 42 and bought a 350 Mark Lev with Nav -- I chromed the wheels, black kitted the logo/etc. I mostly drive slow because I live in LA and there is so much traffic and I want to be safe and courteous and not another agressive jerk on the road. But since having this car, I have made 2 road trips -- one to Santa Barbara and one to Vegas and I had the opportunity to get some power on the freeway and it felt great. So don't judge someone that is driving slow at the moment. I am a CFO and negotiated the best price. No one talked me into anything. I did not need to buy an expensive car to impress people. I have the job, I have the guy, I have a life. I dug the car period. And if I feel like taking it easy while driving because everything else in my life is so chaotic, so be it. I don't feel the need to be NASCAR.

...the 350 has the Mark Levinson premium sound package (which is very different from the standard or upgraded sound system on the 250), the 350 has a luxury package on the interior -- for example, side view mirrors tilt when you reverse the car, which together with the Nav (which has a rear camera) enables you to see the curb really nicely when you are parallel parking (so you don't screw up your wheels).

Hmm...that sounds an AWFUL lot like the features I have on my 250. :whistles:

...the 350 has the Mark Levinson premium sound package (which is very different from the standard or upgraded sound system on the 250), the 350 has a luxury package on the interior -- for example, side view mirrors tilt when you reverse the car, which together with the Nav (which has a rear camera) enables you to see the curb really nicely when you are parallel parking (so you don't screw up your wheels).

Hmm...that sounds an AWFUL lot like the features I have on my 250. :whistles:

Agreed. I don't believe that there's any option package that is IS 350 specific Even the X package can be had on the IS 250. If you wanted/needed the IS 350 then fine; otherwise you could have gotten the same options in an IS 250 for $thousands less. For me, the rare occassions that I would use the extra power wouldn't justify spending an extra 4-5 thousand bucks.

And to answer the question, as to why old ladies buy powerful cars. I am 42 and bought a 350 Mark Lev with Nav -- I chromed the wheels, black kitted the logo/etc.....

Maggie, to some people here 42 may be "old" but certainly not to me!!! I am a lot older!, besides, my comment on powerful versions was not related to an IS350 vs 250 but more like the coming ISF versus either version of the existing IS. I specifically mentioned the BMW M3 that is way above the 325 or 330 (before the advent of the 335), the Audi S4 which is way above the 1.8T or the 3.2, etc, etc. All those are performance versions, not just a higher grade of the same model.

Enthusiastical car people know no age. Stereotyping is just B/S. Nobody talked me up to a IS350. When the first 2nd gen cars came in I went over and taught the guys at the dealership all about them and bought the first 350 in the state, and maybe the region. And I'm older than anybody. :D

I have a good reason for not buying the 350 , We don't get it in my Country.Nor do we get the AWD.The 250 costs us $50 000 .That is for a full spec model.I own a 250 and would not buy the 350 anyway as the 250 does everything fine and anyone who compares a Camry to a Lexus is smoking weed !.

I have joined this forum as there are very few in S.A and I know they sell well in the States.

My previous car was a SAAB 95 vector 2.3 T and I feel that the Lexus is a better all round car .A bit smaller but great

Regards

Paul

1- I believe the US Camry is just that: US only (and Canada) it is manufactured here and I doubt is the same you see in SA.

2- Camry vs. Lexus? Well, our Lexus ES350 is a dressed up Camry, so I believe they can be compared.

3- Camry vs. IS: the Camry is MUCH bigger, and mainly it is FWD vs. RWD which besides some other issues (power!) was a main reason why I did not look for one, but my wife has a Camry Hybrid and it is a great car!

The Camry is a great car, but the ES is more different than the Camry than you would think. Only about 20% of the vehicle is shared and the ride and drive are fairly different.

I think asking someone why they would ever buy a 350 over the 250 is a pretty narrow view of things. There are a ton of good reasons to buy a 250 (almost all of them have been mentioned here by the other posters so I won't rehash them.

Here's the kicker: I just bought a 350. And I agree with all of those reasons to buy a 250 too. I'm not rich and this is a very poor financial decision on my part to buy a 350. But what can I say? Life is short and when making this decision, rather than my brain talking to me, it was an entirely different body part ;)

Bottom line is that it's a personal decision and everyone has their own needs and their own pleasures and their own sense. I'm lacking that latter so I bought the 350. :cheers:

I dont understand how people can compare the Camry to the ES or IS, I mean comon go drive a Toyota then a Lexus and tell me the rides and quality are the same...NOWAYYY Lexus is silent nothing loose in the car, yea they might be on the same platform and share many qualities but cannot be compared. Thats just my opinion.