Why Would Anyone Buy A Is250 Instead Of A Is350?

Just wondering? I looked at both and the difference in power made the IS350 a very easy choice. The price is that much different.

If you can't afford the few thousand more then you should probably get a Camry. Mine cost more that a few thousand more than the IS250 as I got the premium package with ML nav.

Just wondering? I looked at both and the difference in power made the IS350 a very easy choice. The price is that much different.

If you can't afford the few thousand more then you should probably get a Camry. Mine cost more that a few thousand more than the IS250 as I got the premium package with ML nav.

Lots of people want the style, luxury and sportyness and don't feel the need for the extra power. Lexus predicted sales of 250 would be higher than 350 and according to the figures they were correct.

And no, a Camry would not be a proper substitute for a IS250 for many reasons.

I bought a 250 because of all-wheel drive. If the 350 had AWD, i would have considered it, and the awd 250 was still better than a G35x pricewise, and i prefer Lexus over Infiniti.QED

Because I was desperate to get away from my BMW, and I bought this the first day it came out. They didn't have the 350s that first weekend. My next car just might be a 350, but I'm not sure yet.........I'm already looking into my choices......

Thats a pretty elitest statement isn't it?

There are plenty of reasons to get a 250 over a 350:

1. Cost. The 350 is $5,000 more, and that gets to be even more when you factor in that dealerships are more able to negotiate on 250s than 350, so you're really looking at ~ $7k more. Thats 21% more!

2. Availability of AWD

3. Just plain not really caring about the extra power, at least not enough to pay 21% more.

Like Bart said, most of the sales are 250s, thats why.

This was a question I had for myself as well. I test drove both the IS250 and IS350 and the price was only $4,200 difference. I had the opportunity to drive in a driving rain storm on hilly roads with both as well and the IS350 could not hold the road and even stated to spin out several time. The IS250 could take all corners at very high speeds and not ever lose traction.

I selected the IS250 AWD for the following reasons.

a. Excellent handling in bad weather road conditions. Even drove up to Mt. Hood in Oregon and passed the SUV's with no problem. All Wheel Drive!

b. Gas mileage was huge, I get 28 MPG in town and 35 on the road taking a trip from Portland, OR to Whidbey Island, WA. The IS350 is lucky to get 18 in town.

c. The price is much less and it's got great pickup from 0-60 which is just fine if you don't need to race a Ford Mustang.

Well, that's all I have to say about that. They are both great; however, the above is why I wanted the IS250.

Good luck and enjoy!

c.

This was a question I had for myself as well. I test drove both the IS250 and IS350 and the price was only $4,200 difference. I had the opportunity to drive in a driving rain storm on hilly roads with both as well and the IS350 could not hold the road and even stated to spin out several time. The IS250 could take all corners at very high speeds and not ever lose traction.

a. Excellent handling in bad weather road conditions. Even drove up to Mt. Hood in Oregon and passed the SUV's with no problem. All Wheel Drive!

b. Gas mileage was huge, I get 28 MPG in town and 35 on the road taking a trip from Portland, OR to Whidbey Island, WA. The IS350 is lucky to get 18 in town.

c. The price is much less and it's got great pickup from 0-60 which is just fine if you don't need to race a Ford Mustang.

Well, that's all I have to say about that. They are both great; however, the above is why I wanted the IS250.

Good luck and enjoy!

c.

Okay, so now I have a new dilemma: IS 350, or IS 250 AWD??? lol. However, my husband saw the new 335Ci today and had to call me to tell me it's a good-looking car......choices, choices!!!!!

Okay, so now I have a new dilemma: IS 350, or IS 250 AWD??? lol. However, my husband saw the new 335Ci today and had to call me to tell me it's a good-looking car......choices, choices!!!!!

The 335Ci is an amazing vehicle and it looks beautiful.

And the wonderful thing is, when the new twin turbo engine blows... it still looks pretty in the driveway. ;)

I also have the need for AWD.

I plan on test driving the 07 G35x as soon as I can get to the nearest dealer before deciding.

The reasons I'd choose it would be AWD, MPG, and good old MT6- a six speed manual. However despite all that I'd choose the 350 anyways. I can see why many people would go for the smaller engine though.

The IS 250 is a great car! True, it's not that quick but that's not the point. It's good looking, gets good gas mileage and drives fairly well. The understeer is built in with the larger rear tires so an inexperienced driver will run less chance of overdoing it.

If you are really hardcore, go out and get an Evo or STI or Z4M coupe and then mod the heck out of it. Any one of those should smoke an IS 350 in both acceleration and handling. Lexus is about style and comfort. :chairshot:

• 2 weeks later...

You're thinking that it is always mandatory to get the biggest engine that you can. I first and foremost was looking for a car with a Stick. For the past 10 years I have been driving an SWC300 with auto, and though it's a great car, I missed the fun of shifting. So, when I looked for my IS, I looked specifically for a used MT6. In the last two months, there were only 2 for sale in the Chicago area. I bought one of them.

The IS250 is a great car, but it isn't a drag racer. I am looking for fun on the road, comfort and reliability. Remember that Mazda scored a huge bullseye with the Miata, and no one was challenging them at the stoplight.

I'm just a little confused as to why the MT6 gets so much less gas mileage than the auto? :wacko: I am averaging about 24/25 combination. BTW, found my car used at a dealership (non-lexus_ with 13K miles) someone had it on a lease and must have defaulted. Great deal.

larry

I'm just a little confused as to why the MT6 gets so much less gas mileage than the auto?

One theory I heard was that automatic transmissions these days are so advanced that they have become more efficient than manuals. And, I suppose that makes sense. It is a little disturbing to know that my Sienna studies the way I drive, so it can adjust shift patterns to meet my needs (ECT-i). Makes you wonder if it is also pondering over my tastes in music, and the clothes I wear. :lol:

But, I'm with you. If Lexus didn't offer a model with manual transmission, I wouldn't be interested in a Lexus. I don't understand why people buy sporty cars with automatic transmissions. Normally, this would be the sort of thing that I'd file into the "different strokes for different folks" folder in my brain. The problem is that it has made it near impossible to find manual transmission cars. A while back, I was considering buying an econo-box for daily use. I went to the local Toyota, Honda and Ford/Hyundai dealerships. Of all the cars on all their lots, there was only one car with manual transmission. Salesmen look at you like you just claimed to be a Roswell alien when you tell them you prefer a stick. the Toyota guy said they order about 10% manuals; but I'll bet if you take out the Yarises, it's much less.

Bring back the stick!!!!!!!

But, I'm with you. If Lexus didn't offer a model with manual transmission, I wouldn't be interested in a Lexus. I don't understand why people buy sporty cars with automatic transmissions. Normally, this would be the sort of thing that I'd file into the "different strokes for different folks" folder in my brain. The problem is that it has made it near impossible to find manual transmission cars.

The reason people in the US prefer automatic transmissions, even in sporty cars, is because with all the traffic congestion and sprawl in US cities, for most people the fun of having a manual on twisty backroads is far outweighed by the unbelievable chore of having to drive one in slow traffic, or around a congested city etc. I'd love one day to buy a fun sporty two seater car, but I have never had any desire to own anything with a manual. Too hard to drive on the roads I drive on.

Automatics got a lot more efficient when they went to torque converter lockup, and more than 4 gears, allowing for some serious overdrive on the highway.

Used to be a Chevy with 4.11 gears and a close ratio 4 speed ruled in stock classes at drag strips. Then along came Mopar with the typewriter shifters and automatics began to rule.

Now with electronic controls, and auotmatic can shift at the right times, the right RPM and over time, more consistently than 90% of manual trans drivers.

Having driven stick shifts for the first 30 years of my driving life, one day I just decided there wasn't any advantage for me anymore, so I started buying automatics. Power, acceleration, etc with the 6 speed auto in the IS350 suits me just fine, and now my left leg is not abnormally bigger then the right one. :D :D

I have owned my new IS350 for 2 weeks. I live in the congested SF Bay Area, where a stick is no fun. My other car is a 6 speed Porsche, which I have not driven since I got the IS350. Until early this morning, when I took it out for a blast on some remote back roads. Different cars for different driving conditions.

i gotta say, after a long days work and driving back home in SF, i even struggle to keep my hands on the steering wheel let alone a gear shifter. Sometimes, i might shift it into S mode, and even that becomes a pain! people change i guess. its way too tiring. now to find a car that drives itself...

Good luck and enjoy!

c.

Hmm...because my home is in the UK (though I seem to spend most of my time in Houston) and the 350 isn't available there :angry: :cries: or the AWD

I drove the Camry, it was faster but it also drove like a boat.

You have to set a budget somewhere and mine was 30k.

Why did you buy a IS350 when you could have bumped up to a GS430 for only 20k more? Seems like a no brainer to me. :huh:

Why did you buy a IS350 when you could have bumped up to a GS430 for only 20k more? Seems like a no brainer to me. :huh:

There is a certain reasoning for buying any car. If we all wanted the same car, we would all be driving Model T's.

I bought the IS250 because I wanted the stick, and wanted a bit better gas mileage, and my budget was in the upper 20's. I know that the IS250 MT6 gets about the same mileage as the IS350 auto, but that is where the selection comes in. The stick was more important to me, and the price point made the IS350 out of reach, unless I found one with lots and lots of miles.

I'm really pleased with my car, I just have to get extra wheels and tires for the winter. Wifey will be really happy when she hears that story. NOT :chairshot:

larry

There is a certain reasoning for buying any car. If we all wanted the same car, we would all be driving Model T's.

I bought the IS250 because I wanted the stick, and wanted a bit better gas mileage, and my budget was in the upper 20's. I know that the IS250 MT6 gets about the same mileage as the IS350 auto, but that is where the selection comes in. The stick was more important to me, and the price point made the IS350 out of reach, unless I found one with lots and lots of miles.

I'm really pleased with my car, I just have to get extra wheels and tires for the winter. Wifey will be really happy when she hears that story. NOT :chairshot:

larry

Hi Larry, Do you find the MT a bit noisy?

I get a lot of gearbox or clutch noise when letting out the clutch in first sometimes.

Dealer claims it is normal and it's not like I can find another one on the lot to compare it to.

Thanks

After test driving the 250AWD and 350RWD in a downpour on windy back roads covered in leaves, I found the 350 tracked nearly as well as the 250 AWD (and I pushed them very hard). I thought the 250 felt as fast as my old Prius (0-60 8.3s), the 350 was a blast to drive. Either car is well appointed, pretty much the same, although the 250AWD may have less leg room due to AWD components...can anyone confirm?

My feeling is, if you are considering the 250AWD you should try BMW 328xi, similar price with more engine and better gas mileage.

I went with the 350, now I just need a set of winter tires.

I thought the 250 felt as fast as my old Prius (0-60 8.3s

Your old Prius is way slower than that, more like 10.5-11 seconds.

Congrats on the new Lexus!

LOL, I meant the 250 has a 8.3 s 0-60 (or close to it anyway). The Prius has a noticeable amount of torque for a light car and really wasn't a slow feeling car. that said, I am not sad to see it get traded in for the 350

thanks...I am loving the car. I backed out of a 328xi order once I test drove the IS350. now I just need to get snow tires.

LOL, I meant the 250 has a 8.3 s 0-60 (or close to it anyway). The Prius has a noticeable amount of torque for a light car and really wasn't a slow feeling car. that said, I am not sad to see it get traded in for the 350

LOL that makes more sense.

I agree, I have a Prius too.