Mark Levinson Sound System

Allo Allo,

For all those that took the upgrade and got the ML Sat Nav pack, can I get a show of hands if you are happy with the quality of the sound system?

I am finding the sound lacking in depth and the treble is also lacking even when you have it on full settings.

What does everyone think?

:P

EJ

I don't know what the normal sound system in the IS350 sounds like, but the ML in my IS350 blows away the sound system in my Acura TL. I can not crank up the volume higher than level 50 (goes up to 60) in fear that I am going to blow an ear drum.

The sound is pretty good in my opinion, but I mostly listen to talk radio, classical, with some rock.

I think the performance of the ML system should be tested with a real DVD-Audio disc.

While the surround function somewhat enhances normal 2 channel stereo CD, it truly shines when a real 5.1 surround disc is played.

I never thought I would be able to hear distinct channels on a car system, but after playing a few DVD-A discs, I fell in love with the system.

If you haven't heard the system with DVD-Audio, I recommend Hotel California by the Eagles, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, and Kiss by a Rose by Seal.

Those songs should be very familiar, yet when you hear them in 5.1, the experience would be totally different.

And I would suggest turning off the surround function when listening to mp3 discs, as the surround would muddle the sounds given the less than ideal quality of the mp3 source.

I think the performance of the ML system should be tested with a real DVD-Audio disc.

While the surround function somewhat enhances normal 2 channel stereo CD, it truly shines when a real 5.1 surround disc is played.

I never thought I would be able to hear distinct channels on a car system, but after playing a few DVD-A discs, I fell in love with the system.

If you haven't heard the system with DVD-Audio, I recommend Hotel California by the Eagles, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, and Kiss by a Rose by Seal.

Those songs should be very familiar, yet when you hear them in 5.1, the experience would be totally different.

And I would suggest turning off the surround function when listening to mp3 discs, as the surround would muddle the sounds given the less than ideal quality of the mp3 source.

I agree 100%, you must try a DVD-A if you haven't. DVD-A may be on it's way out, but the ML sound system really rocks with it. I would only add Fleetwood Mac - Rumors to the list of DVD-A's if you want to try one out. It's an awesome example.

• 2 months later...

Allo Allo,

For all those that took the upgrade and got the ML Sat Nav pack, can I get a show of hands if you are happy with the quality of the sound system?

I am finding the sound lacking in depth and the treble is also lacking even when you have it on full settings.

EJ

I have owned several Lexus and other vehicles, the M/L sound system in the IS is the best sound quality you can get in a car, that's for us with normal hearing... It's frequency response is well beyond the normal hearing...

George

DO u guys have 06 IS. Cause i just bought mine a few weeks ago n they told me they dont put ML systems in the IS. They did for special orders last year but not no more.

Yes, I do have a 06. But I call BS the claim that 07s dont come with ML anymore.

ML is offered on all Lexus models, I dont see why they would stop offering it on the IS. Also, on the Lexus build an IS page ML is still listed as an option.

It may be that the ML system requires a special package order, and that your dealer doesnt have cars with that option in stock.

If I remember correctly, for the 06s, ML was hard to find up till around March or April of 2006. Perhaps right now is the same situation for 07s, but that doesnt mean the 07s dont come with ML.

DO u guys have 06 IS. Cause i just bought mine a few weeks ago n they told me they dont put ML systems in the IS. They did for special orders last year but not no more.

Thats BS.. the dealers STILL doesnt have a clue I guess... My dealer told me all IS with the Nav comes with ML... when mine came in.. first thing I noticed was the lack of ML sticker...

The IS500 BETTER HAVE ML... or I'll go with something else... I love the stock stereo... but its just the unknown that keeps killing me inside.... also being able to play movies.. ;)

As I ponder the purchase of an IS350 or the 335i, the sound system is a big concern for me. I spoke to my Lexus dealer today and he said they rarely get the ML-equipped versions and they're considered special order. Not exactly the response I was looking for. I recall the fantastic clarity of the ML system in my old LS430 and was looking forward to it. Maybe time to find another dealer?

As I ponder the purchase of an IS350 or the 335i, the sound system is a big concern for me. I spoke to my Lexus dealer today and he said they rarely get the ML-equipped versions and they're considered special order. Not exactly the response I was looking for. I recall the fantastic clarity of the ML system in my old LS430 and was looking forward to it. Maybe time to find another dealer?

Sounds like they have a IS350 on the floor they are trying 2 sell... Call around... it took me several dealers to even give me the time or day this time last year... That last phone call... SOLD.... been in love since...

My 07 IS350 has ML, no issues what so ever getting it.

Did u special order it? or did u have it added on to car with sale?

Hi All-

I checked around all over the NJ, NY and CT Tri state area and no one had the ML in stock. They all said that it was a special order and I got very different prices from all of the dealers. Everyone seemed sort of clueless about it. It was the one option that I new I had to have. A top of the line audio system is very important to me. I placed a special order back in October and just got a call today from the dealer saying that the car is on the boat heading to the US. :D Should be ready for pick up sometime at the end of the month or earlier.

Good Luck

I found one comming off of the ship already made, I wanted one with Navi, Just so happened to have ML (which I love by the way) and my dealer only had some striped out one on the floor so I had to hold one and wait the 3 or 4 weeks for it to work it's way from portland to denver. So I waited for mine but it was not a special order, by the way I picked mine up Dec. 18th.

If i go to Lexus.com and build a 250 RWD or AWD with my zipcode, the highest option you can get is the voice navi system, heated seats, etc... and xm radio. If i wanted to get the ML system, power steering wheel, tilt side mirrors, etc... the only way i could get it was to buy a 350. Im guessing it has to do with where you are located. Maybe they stopped putting the ML system in the IS250????

I think i might be to late now. i wish i knew this before i bought the car cause i really wanted to ml system. n i would of special ordered the car. i'm gonna go back to dealer n see what they can do if anything at this point.

Allo Allo,

EJ

After messing around with it a bit I've come to love it, I'm definitely happy with the ml/navi package.

• 3 months later...

I have 2007 IS350 with M/L system and navigation, and have problems with it.

- The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS CD : no bass

- 5.1 DVD-Audio :

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms and Elvis #1s : one channel is missing (not sure which one exactly, but definitely one is missing).