Engine Noise

maltezza

It`s very hard to determine were noises are coming, but for what you are saying it may be the drive belt tentioner wheel idler pulley by the timing belt. How many miles does your car has and do you noticed if the car overheats ? Then if it does then water pump may be the problem, but like I said it`s very hard to know unless you are there inspecting. My recommendation don`t ignore it cause down the road it will lead to a bigget problem.

its a 02' with 38k. lexus serviced trans & brake fluid, also basic inspection-torque bolts @32k. car doesnt overheat

Lexus warranty expires at 50k or four years. wich ever comes first. your car could still be on factory warranty. hopefully was bought on December and for sure you may still have it.

But if not so far the water pump should not be the problem cause is a good sign that your car doesn`t over heat. The timing belt is not yet due, Timing belts should be change at about 60K. But depending on your driving condition, you may have a pulley defective perhaphs it may be the tensioner (with arm) or idler pulley. My gues is that by going back for what you said that is coming near the water pump. If the pulley is defective what it could happend it may eventually melt the belt and cause you mayor problems. You can check the tensioner by removing the timing belt cover, take the plastic cover on the top three screws will take it off and then you`ll see the belt tensioner if you see any adnormar wear on the belt the the tensioner is bad. crank the engine but make sure not to star it or you can put the car in second gear with key off and move it forward and you will she that the crankshaft moving and inspect the timing belt all the way around. IF everything looks good the you may have a belt loose and is making that noisse. Normally you can hear them louder when tha engine is cold. Other than that if you have any more questions I`ll be willing to help but remenber it is not the same be guesing than be ther enext to car so all this are just troubleshooting.

• 2 weeks later...

warranty has expired and my water pump bearing is shot.WTF! lexus of fife said theres nothing wrong with my car,but then again they're right next to the freeway as they tried to hear a faint noise. Even after I told them that its loudest near waterpump and the guy angerly took my car in the shop then says nothig wrong. Some friends opened a local shop took it there and 2 min later with a stethiscope pinpointed the problem. bleep lexus of fife! 5hrs labor plus $200 pump ouch

30k was done just b 4 previous owner traded it in , car had approx 11000 miles in summer fall of 03'. I purchased car 2-05'. Good news is the powertrian warranty covers water pump ,I will pay 4 timimg belt & seals to be done since im 20k away from 60k anyways.It was the bearing in the pump that was bad.

• 1 year later...

Sometimes the crankshaft pulley, or Harmonic Balancer comes apart, and the grooved pulley portion of the Balancer spins around the inner part of the assembly making an awful noise. Especially when cold, but may get quieter as the car warms up or the friction on the remaining balancer rubber grabs as it warms up and slips less. This will eventually send the grooved crank pulley in a forward direction and start damaging things. Same pulley as on SC300, GS300, IS300, or Toyota Supra. I just wish i could find the torque spec on this forum so i can put the new pulley on the car i am fixing which is a 1995 GS300. WTF, well, hope you look around the engine, cause sometimes this sounds just like a idler bearing or AC clutch bearing going out.

THE SNAKE

1992 LS400 owner w/air ride sus.

• 2 months later...
Sometimes the crankshaft pulley, or Harmonic Balancer comes apart, and the grooved pulley portion of the Balancer spins around the inner part of the assembly making an awful noise. Especially when cold, but may get quieter as the car warms up or the friction on the remaining balancer rubber grabs as it warms up and slips less. This will eventually send the grooved crank pulley in a forward direction and start damaging things. Same pulley as on SC300, GS300, IS300, or Toyota Supra. I just wish i could find the torque spec on this forum so i can put the new pulley on the car i am fixing which is a 1995 GS300. WTF, well, hope you look around the engine, cause sometimes this sounds just like a idler bearing or AC clutch bearing going out.

THE SNAKE

1992 LS400 owner w/air ride sus.

I've got this noise but only when the AC is on...AC cools fine other than that sound...safe to assume AC clutch??? Thanks