Which Tires?

RedLexusSC400

Hey guys, I need to replace the rear tires of my 92 SC400. The rims I have on there are 18's, 9.5" wide. Tires are Firestones ZRi 245/40R/18, so they are stretched to fit the rim. I want to go with something that will give me a smoother ride, and will cover my rim, just incase a curb decides to bump into me. :whistles: I would also like something that would last me a while. After doing some reading on here I was interested in the Exalto's, but they won't fit my wheels. So any recommendations would be much appriciated, also, what tire size I need to go with. Thanks a lot!

Oh yeah, I'm trying to watch the money too, but I'm sure it's not going to be easy with the size.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3.

nuff said.

steviej

Well it sounds like a great tire. But looking at some of the reviews it seems to be a little more on the sporty performance side than I'm looking for. I'm also looking at over $235 a tire for one of these. I'm looking for more comfort, but still something that I won't be all over the road with regular driving conditions. I'm done with the racing thing, I'm not taking it up into the mountains. But it does rain a lot in Oregon :unsure:

Thanks for the info GrnSC400, this tire is more the direction I'm going. Seems like you get what you pay for, fairly inexpensive tires, loss in performance. Seems to be okay with rain and comfort, might want to find something that could do a little better. Another problem I'm looking at is the size. Like I said I'm running 245/40/18's currently, and they are stretched. Now even with the rim protection on this, don't you think I would want to step it up to a 255/40/18? And for some reason they jump that size. I hope I don't sound too :blink:, but I don't know a lot about tires. I can get the 255/35 or 255/45. I'm only replacing the rear tires right now, and the rear on the SC's already sits higher than the front. But if I go down to the 35 I'll lose some of that comfort correct? Ha ha, I really hope I don't sound too ridiculous, but you guys are a lot of help! Thanks again.

RedLexusSC400, Yes, this is correct...."I can get the 255/35 or 255/45, but if I go down to the 35 I'll lose some of that comfort correct?" The tire size (255/40/18) you are looking for are only available in Ultra-High Performance or Summer tires. Geared more for a racing style, the one thing you do not wish to pursue.

RedLexusSC400, Yes, this is correct...."I can get the 255/35 or 255/45, but if I go down to the 35 I'll lose some of that comfort correct?" The tire size (255/40/18) you are looking for are only available in Ultra-High Performance or Summer tires. Geared more for a racing style, the one thing you do not wish to pursue.

Ha ha, so no more help? I found some Avon Tech M550 A/S tires that rate pretty high in all aspects. The only complaints I have read about them is they get pretty loud after about 10k. But with the flowmasters I have on there, I don't think it will matter. So I think I'll just go with those. They are also only 134 a tire on tirerack.com. But thanks for all the help.