S Mode Gear Selecting

Hi to all,

I'm the proud new owner of an IS 250, i was reading around here and i found a thread talking about the car in S mode shifting by itself up until 4th gear. Is there a way to have the car completely manual, obsviously without a stickshift car, but being able to shift all through the six gears without the car doing it alone?

Hi to all,

I'm the proud new owner of an IS 250, i was reading around here and i found a thread talking about the car in S mode shifting by itself up until 4th gear. Is there a way to have the car completely manual, obsviously without a stickshift car, but being able to shift all through the six gears without the car doing it alone?

When you have the car in the "S mode," you can upshift and downshift manually. I think what the other thread was talking about, is if you don't downshift, the car will do it for you, and then return to the last gear you left it in.

Right. The car will only shift to the highest gear you have selected. You can manually shift all the way from first through sixth on the upshifts. The default going from D to S is 4, but if you flip the upshift paddle twice you will go to 6.

What i realized was that when i go WOT on S mode the car still shifts close to redline wether i shift at 3k or below, isn't suppose to be all manual or precisely when you shift? Thanks for your responses guys.

What i realized was that when i go WOT on S mode the car still shifts close to redline wether i shift at 3k or below, isn't suppose to be all manual or precisely when you shift? Thanks for your responses guys.

What's WOT?

General question to everyon: Can't the redline be moved, just like the redline on the spedometer can be moved? I'm wondering if that's the problem for yomny......

What's WOT?

General question to everyon: Can't the redline be moved, just like the redline on the spedometer can be moved? I'm wondering if that's the problem for yomny......

Wide Open Throttle.

The redline is supposed to be the maximum RPM that you should ever run your motor. It's permanently marked on the tachometer. The car has a built in system that will kill the engine if you exceed redline. Our IS have a moveable lighted circle that can be adjusted to come on at any RPM. Some people set that to light up at the RPM they want to shift at.

I'm not sure what's happening with Yommy, and I haven't tried to duplicate that as yet. I usually let the car upshift automatically, and sometimes use the paddles for downshifting.

Sorry for the acronyms i guess i should have explained the WOT first.

I have also noticed that if i'm example on 3rd gear at 3.5k rpm's and i floor the car, even on S mode, the car down*BLEEP*s on it's own, no big deal guys but man i just want to do the shifting when i put it on S. Bug what bugs me is that i floor it and it shifts near redline not when i shift it but this seems to happen only in certain gears, it's weird. This isn't a problem or anything i was just wondering if there is a pattern of shifting in S mode or something of that aspect. Thanks to all that have responded.

The gear you select with the paddles is the highest gear it will shift to. I tried it today with my IS350 at WOT and in 2 and with 3 selected it didn't shift until redline. Same for the 3 - 4 shift. I think the figure if you are at WOT you want maximum acceleration, thus pegging out the tach before shifting. If you back out of the throttle just a little tiny bit, it will upshift. And yes it will downshift. It's trying to be "idiot proof". Like if you got stuck in a situation in 4th gear at say 10 mph, and had to take off fast, you would be in sad shape stuck in 4th with hardly any power. That's my thinking on it, and that's the way the IS300 was for 5 model years. It's not a true manual/auto shift. In most ways that's good. Some may find situations where they don't like it, but I always say that if you are doing spirited driving on a crooked road and find that the car is downshifting, then maybe you should have already shifted it in the first place.

Thanks for you help. This is the first auto/sport shift car that i've ever owned and i've had about 12 cars already so i feel odd adapting but have no complains as of now, the car handles really nicely and well, power delivery even on the 250 is decently fun.

I've been searching around but i only seem to find the megan full coilovers or more expensive coilover kits. I'm just interested in a set of srpings to drop the car a bit. Is the camber adjustable to any degree both rear/front in this car?

Hi to all,

I was told at the dealership that the S shift is manual, but at 6300 rpm it shifts for you to keep you from breaking your new toy.

Sorry for the acronyms i guess i should have explained the WOT first.

I have also noticed that if i'm example on 3rd gear at 3.5k rpm's and i floor the car, even on S mode, the car down*BLEEP*s on it's own, no big deal guys but man i just want to do the shifting when i put it on S. Bug what bugs me is that i floor it and it shifts near redline not when i shift it but this seems to happen only in certain gears, it's weird. This isn't a problem or anything i was just wondering if there is a pattern of shifting in S mode or something of that aspect. Thanks to all that have responded.

Do you put your Gear display up on your dash board? If you are stopped and you shift to S mode you'll see a series of white dots, usually 4 dots representing gears 1 to 4. These will be the auto shifted gears with 5 and 6 being manual. When you are stopped in S mode, shift down until all the dots are gone, you should then be in "full" manual.