Is 350 Or Gs 350

Hi,

I need advices from owners. My actual lease is out in 2 months and I start shopping around.

My actual ride is a RX 330. I don't want to get the "new" RX 350 as it seems to be the same car with just a little bit more power. Futhermore I dont want a SUV anymore.

So my choices are reduced to :

-IS 350 fully loaded. Total MSRP $45,422

-GS 350 fully loaded. Total MSRP $51,277

These 2 cars have the same engine/power. I know they are 2 different animals, but I like to get your advice.

Thanks in advance

;)

Hi,

I need advices from owners. My actual lease is out in 2 months and I start shopping around.

My actual ride is a RX 330. I don't want to get the "new" RX 350 as it seems to be the same car with just a little bit more power. Futhermore I dont want a SUV anymore.

These 2 cars have the same engine/power. I know they are 2 different animals, but I like to get your advice.

Thanks in advance

;)

Test drive both, and take into account what priorities you have. All I know is "car and driver" was a little more please with the IS in terms of competition in its class.

We bought a 2007 GS 350 AWD in September. We absolutely love it. We did not really consider the IS 350 at all. There were several "have to haves" that the IS 350 didn't come with.....

Specifically, AWD. We were in the same boat about the RX 350. My wife has been driving a SUV for 14 yrs. Since most SUVs today are all wheel drive (the days of pushing the button for 4X4 operation are gone), it opened up the sedan market for us.

We have two 9 yr olds. My wife liked the idea of air bags/side curtains in the front and rear. I believe the IS doesn't have rear airbags.

The 303 Hp engine is pretty sweet. I haven't "driven" it yet, as we are still in somewhat of a break-in period. But what I've seen so far is very impressive. I know that the Car & Driver crowd prefer the IS 350, because it is a bit more "sporty and speedy". But, how much of that kind of driving do you really do anymore? Yes, it's nice to have, but.....

You sacrifice a bit of mileage with the AWD GS 350, but if you live in an area that sees snow, it'll be worth it.

I really like the ventilated front seats. Most guys do. The girls don't seem to like the cool breeze as much, if at all, LOL. Everyone likes the heated seats.

If you still want to "run it", you can switch to Shift Mode on the transmission. Then you shift from the gear selector on the console as opposed to on the steering wheel on the IS.

I'm not sure if the IS has it, but the electronic "key" on the GS is AMAZING. I got very used to that very quickly. Having to reach for keys in my other cars is a real pain in the a$$.

Bottom line, we opted for more of the luxury features of the GS as a sacrifice to some of the performance of the IS. That's what was important to us.

Hope this helps.

Jaybeaux

I know that in the 2006 Motor Trend Car of the Year testing, the most intense tests that new cars undergo in the magazine, the editors preferred the IS to the GS. The IS made it to the final round (10 finalists out of the 28 tested) while the GS didn't make the cut.

We bought a 2007 GS 350 AWD in September. We absolutely love it. We did not really consider the IS 350 at all. There were several "have to haves" that the IS 350 didn't come with.....

Specifically, AWD. We were in the same boat about the RX 350. My wife has been driving a SUV for 14 yrs. Since most SUVs today are all wheel drive (the days of pushing the button for 4X4 operation are gone), it opened up the sedan market for us.

We have two 9 yr olds. My wife liked the idea of air bags/side curtains in the front and rear. I believe the IS doesn't have rear airbags.

The 303 Hp engine is pretty sweet. I haven't "driven" it yet, as we are still in somewhat of a break-in period. But what I've seen so far is very impressive. I know that the Car & Driver crowd prefer the IS 350, because it is a bit more "sporty and speedy". But, how much of that kind of driving do you really do anymore? Yes, it's nice to have, but.....

You sacrifice a bit of mileage with the AWD GS 350, but if you live in an area that sees snow, it'll be worth it.

I really like the ventilated front seats. Most guys do. The girls don't seem to like the cool breeze as much, if at all, LOL. Everyone likes the heated seats.

If you still want to "run it", you can switch to Shift Mode on the transmission. Then you shift from the gear selector on the console as opposed to on the steering wheel on the IS.

I'm not sure if the IS has it, but the electronic "key" on the GS is AMAZING. I got very used to that very quickly. Having to reach for keys in my other cars is a real pain in the a$$.

Bottom line, we opted for more of the luxury features of the GS as a sacrifice to some of the performance of the IS. That's what was important to us.

Hope this helps.

Jaybeaux

Not that i mean to bash your choice of the GS, Jaybeaux, but the IS does have manual shifting on the console as well as the wheel, it does have heated/vented seats, it does have intelligent key, it does offer AWD (250 model only though) and it has 306 hp vs 303. I don't know about the rear airbag thing, though. I have heard that the rear room in the IS isn't so hot because the front seats are so large. You're right; it all depends on what you're looking for. I'd think the biggest issue would deciding if you need the space; more than one mags have said that the IS is essentially a baby GS.

Here are those articles for a little light reading.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/11...s_is/index.html

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/11...s_gs/index.html This tests the V8 model instead of the sixer, sorry...

• 4 weeks later...

If you are a man of significant size, the GS is the way to go. It was a no brainer for me. I'm 6'1" and 300lbs. I love the GS. It's quite refined though can be a screamer as well. Interior materials looked and felt much higher quality in the GS to me.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I've owned my '07 GS 350 AWD for about a month now. I love it! I only drove the IS for a short while while my ES was in for service, so I can't really compare the two completely. But, I am certainly enjoying my GS and I'd recommend it.

Like they said, it depends on your needs. Some might say, "if you're young, get the IS" since it's a "younger" car. The IS is beautiful, but the GS fits my style. I like the extra space, and it's a bit classier in my opinion. The IS probably gives the driver a bit of spirited driving, but 303 HP is the GS is enough for me. Plus, I have the 18" rims so for my day to day driving, that's enough to make me happy. To each their own...

• 2 months later...
Hi,

Thanks in advance

;)

I have owned them both. I have a GS now . The IS is very nippy but the back seats are cramped something that you will never live down if space is an issue

Rsmith9717

• 4 months later...
Hi,

Thanks in advance

;)

I looked at the IS, ES and GS. The IS was too small (I'm 6'2) for me. The ES and GS were similar but I ended up with the GS and love it! If you are ok with the extra $$$, I would spring for the GS. I believe the GS has more wiggle room then the IS to force a lower price.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...
you will feel so disappointed at IS after a long traveling cauz dis car is cramped way to small aint like the GS big and comfortable. i just bought mine gs350 couple month ago everything seems perfect to me.

You can't compare IS to GS it's the same as comparing a BMW 3 & 5 series. They are are diffrent cars, for one the GS has AWD, is larger and more comfortable & more features than an IS. IMO the IS is an entry level car like the BMW 3 series.