Cel Malfunction?

mrbutz1

I suspect there are some issues that I need to address in my engine, however the CEL does not ever come on. How would I know if there is a problem with the light itself, or the signal to illuminate the light?

Before you answer, is it as simple as just taking the car to have the codes read at Auto Zone? If so, please shoot me.

I suspect there are some issues that I need to address in my engine, however the CEL does not ever come on. How would I know if there is a problem with the light itself, or the signal to illuminate the light?

Before you answer, is it as simple as just taking the car to have the codes read at Auto Zone? If so, please shoot me.

What are the issues with the engine ?

What are the issues with the engine ?

sluggish performance, very terrible mpg, stink from exhaust, seemingly too much exhaust

turn the key to on without starting the car. All trouble lights should come on.

When the car is running , you could go take you gas cap off or disconnect a sensor to see if you can trip the CEL.

Sounds like your car is in need of a thorough tune up. When was the last time you changed:

air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, plugs, plug wires if necessary, cleaned the IACV, cleaned the throttle body, oil and filter?

steviej

turn the key to on without starting the car. All trouble lights should come on.

When the car is running , you could go take you gas cap off or disconnect a sensor to see if you can trip the CEL.

Sounds like your car is in need of a thorough tune up. When was the last time you changed:

air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, plugs, plug wires if necessary, cleaned the IACV, cleaned the throttle body, oil and filter?

steviej

Have done some of the above myself (air, tb, oil, filter, maf) but I think I need to get the plugs changed and decided long ago from reading through the forums that was a job a bit too complex for me. It seems like dirty plugs can cause some of these issues even if the car runs very smoothly, albeit sluggishly and drinks gas like there's no tomorrow (unless on highway when it's a champ--29mpg). Am I right?