2004 Ls430 Air Suspension Troubleshooing?

HankJ

I'm getting a 'thumping' noise from my front end, and I'm trying to sort out if it is the air suspension failing or somethign else.

Is there a way to narrow down if it is the air suspension or some other component?

When driving on a smooth road, all is well, but when the road is bumpy, it becomes noisey and the car shakes.

Thanks,

hank :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

hank, I am not too familiar with the 430 models, but judging from the different variations of the 400 models over the years, and all having this same common problem at one point or another, I am guessing you are OK on the air suspension, and just need what is the LS430's equivalent of the LS400's strut rod. From this attached picture, it looks like #10 is your strut rod bushing part. On the 400's, it's an actual rod that attaches to the lower control arm from the front of the car. They take the most abuse from bumpy roads, and are usually the first parts in the suspension to go, usually around the 80k+ mile marker.

Now since we're getting close to the greatest football game of the entire season...if you answer the following question correctly, I will tell you where you can buy that part for way less than any dealership is offering to sell it......Question..... War Eagle :chairshot: :chairshot: or Roll Tide??? ;) :D :cheers::rolleyes: B)

post-15797-1162554434_thumb.jpg

PS: Most of us avoid the air suspension option, simply becuase they cost a lot more to repair, than a $50 strut. Usually most folks will convert their broken air suspension to the normal suspension when they start to fail. The thing about the suspension repairs, is that you really need to do both sides of the car at the same time. If you just repair one side with new parts, then the other side's age and flaws will show even that much more.

hank, I am not too familiar with the 430 models, but judging from the different variations of the 400 models over the years, and all having this same common problem at one point or another, I am guessing you are OK on the air suspension, and just need what is the LS430's equivalent of the LS400's strut rod. From this attached picture, it looks like #10 is your strut rod bushing part. On the 400's, it's an actual rod that attaches to the lower control arm from the front of the car. They take the most abuse from bumpy roads, and are usually the first parts in the suspension to go, usually around the 80k+ mile marker.

Now since we're getting close to the greatest football game of the entire season...if you answer the following question correctly, I will tell you where you can buy that part for way less than any dealership is offering to sell it......Question..... War Eagle :chairshot::chairshot: or Roll Tide??? ;) :D :cheers::rolleyes: B)

post-15797-1162554434_thumb.jpg

PS: Most of us avoid the air suspension option, simply becuase they cost a lot more to repair, than a $50 strut. Usually most folks will convert their broken air suspension to the normal suspension when they start to fail. The thing about the suspension repairs, is that you really need to do both sides of the car at the same time. If you just repair one side with new parts, then the other side's age and flaws will show even that much more.

Hey NC, thanks for the info. I'll check that out.

As to your question, my wife went to Auburn, so I do have a biase here, but having said that, one must take a stand in this state, so at the risk of not getting your source (but I would appreciate it anyway), but keeping my wife B) and home happy,

:pirate: War Eagle

by the way, where did you get the drawing of the suspension? I'd like to get a copy of that source as well.

Thanks,

Well...you are a fellow Alabamian, so I guess I could share the info. Although if you guys cheat again this year in the Iron Bowl and beat us...I'm not gonna be too happy! :cheers: Not to mention, I've got double-or-nothing riding on the game this year with one of my Auburn buddies, again.

I shop here.. www.lexuspartsonline.com, and is where I found that sketch and the price. Your best bet, if you're not sure what's broken, is have a lexus indi-mechanic take a look. If they say "yep, your bushing is worn out", then tell them you'll buy the part, and bring it to them for install. That way, you avoid the retail price, and still get the job done. I've never worked on anything buy my 95, so I'm not too familiar with the 430's. In fact, we haven't seen that many problems with them on here, simply because they're still pretty new. Although, I have started to see a few more questions pop up...and they always start the exact same way your question started, and not just for the 430, but for the LS model in general. That front bushing wears out, causes a thump and clank on rough roads, and eventually starts messing with your alignment and track of the car. Very common problem.

ROLL TIDE!!!!! :cheers: