Sunroof Failure

the sunroof on my 2006 400h stopped working correctly this summer. when in the tilt position, the toggle button would not close it, only open it and then when i pushed the button to close it would come down to the closed position, and then raise back up, never stopping at close.

at the dealer the tech said the motor was failing and it was not strong enough to close it even though the sliding open and close worked normally. three days later they told me they put in a new sunroof motor. (one was shipped from cali) (i got a new rx350 with 8 miles on it to drive for two days)

now the same thing is happening again. i have not gone to the dealer, and i will in a few days, however i thought i would put this out there to see what everyone thinks. i have to trust that they put in a new motor, and i guess there might be some other problem, or is it a motor faiilure again?

the sunroof on my 2006 400h stopped working correctly this summer. when in the tilt position, the toggle button would not close it, only open it and then when i pushed the button to close it would come down to the closed position, and then raise back up, never stopping at close.

at the dealer the tech said the motor was failing and it was not strong enough to close it even though the sliding open and close worked normally. three days later they told me they put in a new sunroof motor. (one was shipped from cali) (i got a new rx350 with 8 miles on it to drive for two days)

now the same thing is happening again. i have not gone to the dealer, and i will in a few days, however i thought i would put this out there to see what everyone thinks. i have to trust that they put in a new motor, and i guess there might be some other problem, or is it a motor faiilure again?

Go to a different dealer. Seriously.

This is a simple "reprogram" thing that you can even do yourself. If you dealer does not know how to do this simple thing, then they will screw up your car.

You can search on here for "sunroof" and/or "learn" an find the proceedure. It goes something like... hold the slide button forward while the car is off, then while continuting to hold - turn on the care to READY. continue to hold for 20-30 seconds and it should reset. I don't remember if does anythign to indicate success, but it should work as expected after the reset.

I'm not sure if you're experiencing the same thing I did. I found the moon roof didn't want to allow me to close/open it in a 'definitive' way. I stumbled into an entry on the forum and found that the switches had to be 'initialized'. Search on moonroof and close/switches or such and you'll find it. I'll look and if I find it, will repost!

I'm not sure if you're experiencing the same thing I did. I found the moon roof didn't want to allow me to close/open it in a 'definitive' way. I stumbled into an entry on the forum and found that the switches had to be 'initialized'. Search on moonroof and close/switches or such and you'll find it. I'll look and if I find it, will repost!

I found it under an entry titled "Sunroof Problem, Our RX400h finally came on Friday!" Search the RX400h entries and it is a simple 'Initialization' process. This Might

:unsure: be your problem!

thank you both roland and sky for your help. it was initialized during dealer prep and worked well till summer. perhaps it somehow forgot its programming or i have a bad tilt switch.

I doubt it's the switch. The programming can get upset by any number of things. The most likely is a change in forces to open/close due to thermal, debris, or lube. Perhaps that is why they made is so easy to reprogram...

Make sure the tracks are clean and well lubricated and then reprogram it. You should be good until something else changes.

[since the car is still under warranty, (and even if it weren't) I'd give the dealer's service dept. a call and see what they say. My dealer would fix it with no question free. Usually they can't do enough for you. I know you have great weather for sunroofs. It's starting to get too cold here and now I'm finding I'm actually using the tilt and forgetting to close it.

on the advice that it might be a programming problem, i operated the tilt switch open three times in succession and the problem has gone away, it works normally. i will bring it up at my next oil change, remember the last time this happened they threw in a new sunroof motor, so ive had no problem getting them to respond to this. i do have the extended warranty also so im sure if there is a problem in there it will show up before 100K.

Go to a different dealer. Seriously.

This is a simple "reprogram" thing that you can even do yourself. If you dealer does not know how to do this simple thing, then they will screw up your car.

You can search on here for "sunroof" and/or "learn" an find the proceedure. It goes something like... hold the slide button forward while the car is off, then while continuting to hold - turn on the care to READY. continue to hold for 20-30 seconds and it should reset. I don't remember if does anythign to indicate success, but it should work as expected after the reset.

I just got my 07 IS350 this week and had the same sunroof problem! But I did EXACTLY what Skyfish said here and IT WORKED!!! My moonroof is working well now and Lexus doubt is gone... THANKS Skyfish... you saved me a trip to the dealer..

Thank..